all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* find-tag
@ 2015-11-11 20:23 Andreas Matthias
From: Andreas Matthias @ 2015-11-11 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to `find-tag' a function named `foo.bar' but it seems
to be impossible to find function names containing a period.
The name is definitely listed in the TAGS file but is not found
by `find-tag'. Am I missing something?

Andreas

* Re: find-tag
@ 2015-11-14 15:25 ` Andreas Matthias
From: Andreas Matthias @ 2015-11-14 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Matthias wrote:

> I'm trying to `find-tag' a function named `foo.bar' but it seems
> to be impossible to find function names containing a period.
> The name is definitely listed in the TAGS file but is not found
> by `find-tag'. Am I missing something?

Digging through the code of etags.el I found etags-tags-completion-table which
contains a large regex used for parsing the TAGS file. In this regex there
are three character groups like

   [-a-zA-Z0-9_+*$:]

This seems to be the reason why function names containing periods are not
found. If I add the period in these character groups

   [-.a-zA-Z0-9_+*$:]

then `find-tag' finds function names like `foo.bar' (quite common names in Lua).

Are there reasons why the period was omitted in this regex?

Andreas

* Re: find-tag
@ 2015-11-15 20:38   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-11-15 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Andreas Matthias <andreas.matthias@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 16:25:44 +0100
>
> Andreas Matthias wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to `find-tag' a function named `foo.bar' but it seems
> > to be impossible to find function names containing a period.
> > The name is definitely listed in the TAGS file but is not found
> > by `find-tag'. Am I missing something?
>
> Digging through the code of etags.el I found etags-tags-completion-table which
> contains a large regex used for parsing the TAGS file. In this regex there
> are three character groups like
>
>    [-a-zA-Z0-9_+*$:]
>
> This seems to be the reason why function names containing periods are not
> found. If I add the period in these character groups
>
>    [-.a-zA-Z0-9_+*$:]
>
> then `find-tag' finds function names like `foo.bar' (quite common names in Lua).
>
> Are there reasons why the period was omitted in this regex?

So is the problem with completion or with finding tags that include a
period (or both)?

In any case, I suggest to report all this, including a sample Lua
source file, using "M-x report-emacs-bug RET", and let the developers
decide whether this is a bug and how to fix it.

Thanks.

* Re: find-tag
@ 2015-11-16  0:14   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-11-16  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Matthias, help-gnu-emacs

On 11/14/2015 05:25 PM, Andreas Matthias wrote:

> Are there reasons why the period was omitted in this regex?

More like, it was never added. Please M-x report-emacs-bug, and attach
an example .lua file, as well as TAGS file generated from it, that's
misbehaving.