all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scrolling
@ 2003-06-28 11:01 K T Ligesh
From: K T Ligesh @ 2003-06-28 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 I am trying to set the scroll properties such that when the point moves out of screen it will be repositioned at the top of the screen rather than the middle (which is how it is currently set)

 I tried setting values for scroll-up-aggressively to 0.1 1 etc. But it did not produce any effect...

 Any help would be appreciated...

 thanks.

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com :: http://lxlabs.com ::

* Re: Scrolling
       [not found] <mailman.8812.1056799237.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-29 10:46 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-29 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

K T Ligesh <ligesh@lxlabs.com> writes:

>  I am trying to set the scroll properties such that when the point
>  moves out of screen it will be repositioned at the top of the
>  screen rather than the middle (which is how it is currently set)

I set scroll-conservatively to 9999 and that seems to work.  I didn't
set any other scroll-related variable (well, except
scroll-preserve-screen-position, to t).
--
~/.signature

* scrolling
@ 2003-08-08  2:24 schaecsn
From: schaecsn @ 2003-08-08  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

1) Let's assume the cursor is somewhere in the middle of the
screen. How can I scroll the screen by 1 line up or down?

2) If I'm at the bottom of the screen and I press cursor-down then the
screen scrolls by several lines. Google told me to set scroll-step to
1.

(setq scroll-step 1)

That works several times but then the cursor is suddenly in the middle
of the screen. I don't like that.

Thanks for any help :)

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-08  4:55 ` Peter Lee
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-08-08  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    schaecsn> 1) Let's assume the cursor is somewhere in the
    schaecsn> middle of the screen. How can I scroll the screen by 1
    schaecsn> line up or down?

I use the following:

(defun pete-scroll-down-one ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-down 1))

(defun pete-scroll-up-one ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-up 1))

(global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") 'pete-scroll-down-one)
(global-set-key (kbd "<f11>") 'pete-scroll-up-one)

    schaecsn> 2) If I'm at the bottom of the screen and I press
    schaecsn> cursor-down then the screen scrolls by several
    schaecsn> lines. Google told me to set scroll-step to 1.

    schaecsn> (setq scroll-step 1)

    schaecsn> That works several times but then the cursor is suddenly
    schaecsn> in the middle of the screen. I don't like that.

This happens to me too... go to top of large buffer and just hit C-n.
Every once in a while the cursor pops to center of buffer and
continues down.  Hopefully someone here can tell us how to fix that.

(require 'scroll-in-place)
(setq scroll-step 1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-08  7:01   ` schaecsn
From: schaecsn @ 2003-08-08  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Great, it works ....

> (global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") 'pete-scroll-down-one)
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f11>") 'pete-scroll-up-one)

... at least in emacs-20.x and emacs-21.x but not in emacs-19.34.

Is there a way to refer in emacs-19.34 to the function keys?

- Stefan

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-08  7:34 ` upro
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: upro @ 2003-08-08  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

schaecsn <schaecsn@taipeh.wonderland.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 1) Let's assume the cursor is somewhere in the middle of the
> screen. How can I scroll the screen by 1 line up or down?
>
> 2) If I'm at the bottom of the screen and I press cursor-down then the
> screen scrolls by several lines. Google told me to set scroll-step to
> 1.
>
> (setq scroll-step 1)
>
> That works several times but then the cursor is suddenly in the middle
> of the screen. I don't like that.
>

> Thanks for any help :)

Hi!

I had the ame problem and didn't like the scroll behavior.

I found scroll-in-place.el, which I bound to shift-cursor keys. When I
use it the cursor stays in place and the bzuffer content moves.

You should be able to find the code here:
http://www.on.ics.keio.ac.jp/~yasu/linux/scroll-in-place.el or
somewhere else on google. If not I can mail it to you or post it on
gnu.emacs.sources

I added the following lines to my .emacs:

;; Scrolls one line at the time
(setq scroll-step 1)

;; Better scrolling...
(require 'scroll-in-place)
;; By default, this package provides for the standard GNU Emacs vertical
;; scrolling commands (`scroll-down', `scroll-up', `scroll-other-window-
;; down', and `scroll-other-window') to use the "in place" features.  If you
;; would rather not have this, set the variable `scroll-in-place' to `nil':

(setq scroll-in-place nil)

;; When `scroll-in-place' is `nil' you will have to bind keys in order to
;; call the "in place" scrolling commands.  For example, you might want to do
;; the following:

(setq scroll-command-groups
      (list '(scroll-down-one-line scroll-up-one-line)))

;;; You could write the `scroll-down-one-line' command like this:

(defun scroll-down-one-line (arg)
  "Scroll down one line, or number of lines specified by prefix arg."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((scroll-default-lines 1))
    (scroll-down-in-place arg)))
(defun scroll-up-one-line (arg)
  "Scroll down one line, or number of lines specified by prefix arg."
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((scroll-default-lines 1))
    (scroll-up-in-place arg)))

;; key bindings
(global-set-key  [(shift up)] 'scroll-down-one-line)
(global-set-key [(shift down)] 'scroll-up-one-line)

HTH, best

--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-08  8:32     ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2003-08-08  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-08 17:15 ` Harshdeep S Jawanda
From: Harshdeep S Jawanda @ 2003-08-08 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following work for me:

    * For scrolling down one line, I use C-down (the down arrow):
          (global-set-key [C-down] '"\C-u1\C-v")
    * For scrolling up one line, I user C-up (the up arrow):
          (global-set-key [C-up] '"\C-u1\M-v")

--
Harshdeep S Jawanda

* Re: scrolling
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-08 18:57 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-08 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

schaecsn <schaecsn@taipeh.wonderland.de> writes:

> 2) If I'm at the bottom of the screen and I press cursor-down then the
> screen scrolls by several lines. Google told me to set scroll-step to
> 1.
>
> (setq scroll-step 1)
>
> That works several times but then the cursor is suddenly in the middle
> of the screen. I don't like that.

Emacs 21 has the variable scroll-conservatively.  Use C-h v for more
information.

Does this help?
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-08 23:01   ` schaecsn
From: schaecsn @ 2003-08-08 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

>> 2) If I'm at the bottom of the screen and I press cursor-down then the
>> screen scrolls by several lines. Google told me to set scroll-step to
>> 1.
>>
>> (setq scroll-step 1)
>>
>> That works several times but then the cursor is suddenly in the middle
>> of the screen. I don't like that.
>
> Emacs 21 has the variable scroll-conservatively.  Use C-h v for more
> information.

Finally, after 20 versions! :)

> Does this help?

Almost :) I set it to 1. Scrolling down in a large buffer works a
couple of times but then the cursor jumps in the middle of the screen.

- Stefan

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-09  0:07     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-08-09  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

schaecsn <schaecsn@taipeh.wonderland.de> writes:

>> Emacs 21 has the variable scroll-conservatively. Use C-h v for more
>> information.
[...]

> I set it to 1. Scrolling down in a large buffer works a couple of
> times but then the cursor jumps in the middle of the screen.

Also read what C-h v scroll-step says.

--
Join us on #emacs @ irc.freenode.net.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/EmacsChannel

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-09 10:02     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-09 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

schaecsn <schaecsn@taipeh.wonderland.de> writes:

> Almost :) I set it to 1. Scrolling down in a large buffer works a
> couple of times but then the cursor jumps in the middle of the screen.

Instead of 1, try a large number.
--

@ 2003-08-10 13:52       ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-08-10 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> schaecsn <schaecsn@taipeh.wonderland.de> writes:
    >> Almost :) I set it to 1. Scrolling down in a large buffer works
    >> a couple of times but then the cursor jumps in the middle of
    >> the screen.

    Kai> Instead of 1, try a large number.

It doesn't appear to do what we want.  When I repeatedly next-line I
would like the cursor to move down the buffer until it hits the bottom
and then the buffer would scroll up one line at a time.

What happens now is it works for a while, but will periodically jump
the cursor to the middle of the buffer.

Setting scroll-conservatively to 50 caused it to jump to the top of
the buffer while setting it to 4 caused it to jump 4 lines up from the
bottom.  I was looking for a way to prevent it from jumping at all.

I don't think there's a way to do this currently, and I've learned to
live with it.  If I'm scrolling down that much I usually use C-v
anyway.

Thanks for the info.

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-10 20:27         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-10 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> Setting scroll-conservatively to 50 caused it to jump to the top of
> the buffer while setting it to 4 caused it to jump 4 lines up from the
> bottom.  I was looking for a way to prevent it from jumping at all.

I wasn't thinking of 50 when I said large number :-)

FWIW, I have (setq scroll-conservatively 9999) and scrolling down
some part of my ~/.emacs file didn't cause it to jump, even though
Emacs was doing garbage collection after a few hundred lines.

What happens when you leave scroll-step at the default of 0 and set
scroll-conservatively as I suggested?

[time passes]

Okay, I did a test.  I invoked Emacs 21.3 (not the version I'm using
to post this) via "emacs -q -no-site-file", then I typed the
following into the *scratch* buffer and hit C-j at the end of the
line:

    (setq scroll-conservatively 9999)

Then I opened ~/.emacs and scrolled down 600 lines.  I didn't observe
any jumping.

What happens when you do this?  (Maybe use another file.)
--

@ 2003-08-11  3:37           ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-08-11  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> I wasn't thinking of 50 when I said large number :-)
    Kai> FWIW, I have (setq scroll-conservatively 9999) and scrolling
    Kai> down some part of my ~/.emacs file didn't cause it to jump,
    Kai> even though Emacs was doing garbage collection after a few
    Kai> hundred lines.

Setting it to 9999 solves the problem.  It's just not intuitive to me
why.

Setting that var to 0 sporadically re-centers the cursor... setting it
to 50 causes cursor to pop to top of buffer every time cursor hits
bottom, setting it to 9999 causes desired behavior (at least in my
view).

Oh well, at least it works.  Thanks for the help.

* Re: scrolling
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-08-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Setting that var to 0 sporadically re-centers the cursor... setting it

It should not be "sporadically" but "always".  Maybe you have set
scroll-step at the same time as scroll-conservatively.

* Re: scrolling
@ 2003-08-12 18:35             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-08-12 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> Setting it to 9999 solves the problem.  It's just not intuitive to me
> why.

Suppose the cursor runs off the screen.  If it was moving quick, it
might be 100 lines off-screen.  If it was moving slow, it might be
just a few lines off-screen, before scrolling takes place.

The limit says how many lines does Emacs have to scroll.  If the
cursor is further off, then Emacs doesn't scroll, it recenters.

At least that's my poor memory from the time when somebody else (Eli
or Stefan?) explained the issue.  I never thought about it much,
except that I learned to set scroll-conservatively to a high value.

But now I find that the docstring of scroll-conservatively is, err,
suboptimal.  So IWBNI somebody who groks this could explain it better.
--
Two cafe au lait please, but without milk.

* Re: scrolling
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-16 14:02 ` Alexander Nikolov
From: Alexander Nikolov @ 2003-08-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

schaecsn <schaecsn@taipeh.wonderland.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 1) Let's assume the cursor is somewhere in the middle of the
> screen. How can I scroll the screen by 1 line up or down?

Am I missing something or can't you just C-u 1 C-v?!
--
export AUTHOR=Alex\ Nikolov
echo $AUTHOR

* scrolling
@ 2011-04-01 13:19 Mario Lassnig
From: Mario Lassnig @ 2011-04-01 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

how can I prevent that mwheel-scroll goes beyond the end of the file?

Meaning... I want to scroll down in a document with the wheel,
and I want the last line of the document to stay at the bottom of
the frame.

(so, in a sense what next-line-add-newlines nil does...)

Thanks,
Mario

* scrolling
@ 2012-11-09 19:11 drain
From: drain @ 2012-11-09 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Any Emacs Lisp suggestions on scrolling by paragraph?

The following code could be easily adapted if forward / backward
paragraph returned line numbers:

(defun gcm-scroll-up (&optional arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (if arg