all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing the default spelling dictionary to British English
@ 2011-03-08 22:06 Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2011-03-08 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I can't seem to find any mention in the FAQ or on web sites about how to
change the default spellcheck dictionary from American English to
British English (permanently), and it doesn't seem to be a config option
in the Emacs menus. I'm using Emacs 23 as shipped with Ubuntu 10.4 and
the only check I run is M-x ispell-buffer RET

Or is this something that has to be configured externally, in some
ispell config?

///Peter

* Re: Changing the default spelling dictionary to British English
@ 2011-03-08 23:57 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2011-03-08 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> how to change the default spellcheck dictionary from American English
> to British English (permanently)

M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET TAB

Pick the-right-one and put

(setq ispell-dictionary "the-right-one")

in your init-file.

-ap

* Re: Changing the default spelling dictionary to British English
@ 2011-03-09  1:03 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-03-09  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Flynn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
> I can't seem to find any mention in the FAQ or on web sites about how to
> change the default spellcheck dictionary from American English to British
> English (permanently), and it doesn't seem to be a config option in the
> Emacs menus. I'm using Emacs 23 as shipped with Ubuntu 10.4 and the only
> check I run is M-x ispell-buffer RET

Earlier en_GB used to work but now you have to set something like this:

(setq ispell-dictionary "british")

or use customize:

M-x customize-variable RET ispell-dictionary RET

and choose.

> ///Peter

Hope this helps

--
Suvayu

* Re: Changing the default spelling dictionary to British English
@ 2011-03-09  9:08 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-03-09  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Flynn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.03.2011 um 23:06 schrieb Peter Flynn:

> I can't seem to find any mention in the FAQ or on web sites about
> how to change the default spellcheck dictionary from American
> English to British English (permanently), and it doesn't seem to be
> a config option in the Emacs menus.

It's an option for your init file:

	(setq ispell-program-name "ispell")
	(setq ispell-dictionary "english")

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' - they have
'arguments' - and they ALWAYS WIN THEM."

* Re: Changing the default spelling dictionary to British English
@ 2011-03-09 21:14   ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2011-03-09 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 08/03/11 23:57, Andreas Politz wrote:
> Peter Flynn<peter@silmaril.ie>  writes:
>
>> how to change the default spellcheck dictionary from American English
>> to British English (permanently)
>
> M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET TAB

Interesting. That gives me a choice of american or default. Only.

Easy to fix, but I would have expected a recent Ubuntu (10.4) where
en-GB was specified to have installed ispell correctly.

> Pick the-right-one and put
>
> (setq ispell-dictionary "the-right-one")

Finding the right name was the trick, many thanks.

And thanks to all those who responded.

@ 2011-03-27  6:36     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2011-03-27  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <8tq8t7FqdnU1@mid.individual.net>,
Peter Flynn  <peter@silmaril.ie> wrote:
>On 08/03/11 23:57, Andreas Politz wrote:
>> Peter Flynn<peter@silmaril.ie>  writes:
>>
>>> how to change the default spellcheck dictionary from American English
>>> to British English (permanently)
>>
>> M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET TAB
>
>Interesting. That gives me a choice of american or default. Only.
>
>Easy to fix, but I would have expected a recent Ubuntu (10.4) where
>en-GB was specified to have installed ispell correctly.
>
>> Pick the-right-one and put
>>
>> (setq ispell-dictionary "the-right-one")
>
>Finding the right name was the trick, many thanks.
>
>And thanks to all those who responded.
>
>///Peter

So please clue us in too -- just what did you find?

(So others can do the same thing, without all the grief
that you went through.

And maybe even it can go into the manual/info? )

Thanks,

David