all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 06:22:07 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

In article <jwvr59wt1w2.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> M-x version says this:
>>    GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD
>
>Right, that Emacs, built for w32.
>
>> And yes, I did indeed download something called NTemacs.
>>    http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/  is one place that has one.
>
>Clicking on the first link on that page, leads you to a page that
>includes a description of the project: "This project provides the latest
>binary builds of the Emacs CVS repository for Win32. It is not an
>official distribution of Emacs, and neither does it come with any
>support. Long live Emacs!".  Most likely the "CVS" part is a left over
>since we've switched to Bazaar a while ago.
>

>        Stefan

Well, thanks for the update.

Given that, how *do* I get the newest emacs dll-or-whatever, already
built (I sure don't want to do it for windows!).

Exactly which url will I find it on?  (Please!  Having never even
heard of Bazaar (soon will wikipedia it) and with NTemacs
no longer the latest and best thing and my resulting confusion
from all that, instead of my usual hunting around, googling, etc, I'd
rather rely directly on you, who seems to have all this new stuff
at your fingertips.  THANK YOU, Stefan!)

After I try your suggestion, and can get it to work on *my*
Dell-xp computer, I'll go update all the places I told
how wonderful NTEMACS was.

Thanks again.

David