all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* feedmail causes problem with spam filtes
@ 2003-02-06 16:19 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2003-02-06 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I use feedmail for years and it seems that the project is a little
abandoned. I realized now, that when sending via smtpmail, feedmail
sets
MAIL FROM: <nil> SIZE=728
           ^^^^^

While smtmail does

MAIL FROM: <oub@eucmos.sim.ucm.es> SIZE=668
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now some spam filters, classify  a message with such a smtp protocol,
as spam and delete it, which is very severe.

Did anybody encounter this problem and know what to do.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: feedmail causes problem with spam filtes
@ 2003-02-06 16:43 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-02-06 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Brauer <oub@eucmos.sim.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>

> I use feedmail for years and it seems that the project is a little
> abandoned. I realized now, that when sending via smtpmail, feedmail
> sets
> MAIL FROM: <nil> SIZE=728
>            ^^^^^
>
> While smtmail does
>
> MAIL FROM: <oub@eucmos.sim.ucm.es> SIZE=668
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Now some spam filters, classify  a message with such a smtp protocol,
> as spam and delete it, which is very severe.
>
> Did anybody encounter this problem and know what to do.

Which version of emacs, feedmail and smtpmail do you use?  You could
try the latest version.  I remember fixing a feedmail related problem
concerning mail address variables in smtpmail some time ago.

* Re: feedmail causes problem with spam filtes
@ 2003-02-06 19:29   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2003-02-06 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Did anybody encounter this problem and know what to do.
>
> Which version of emacs, feedmail and smtpmail do you use?  You could
> try the latest version.  I remember fixing a feedmail related problem
> concerning mail address variables in smtpmail some time ago.
Xemacs 21.4.12, feedmail latest beta, and the stable one, that is 11b1
and 9.9
and smtpmail a special one syn for xemacs:
;;; Synched up with: Emacs 21.3 from CVS 2002-09-17

* Re: feedmail causes problem with spam filtes
@ 2003-02-06 19:34   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2003-02-06 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Uwe Brauer <oub@eucmos.sim.ucm.es> writes:

Forgot to add, kevin Rodgers suspect, that the culprit could be
feedmail-deduce-envelope-from, which return nil, and does not use
user-mail-address as it should.

* Re: feedmail causes problem with spam filtes
@ 2003-02-06 19:44     ` Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2003-02-06 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

UB> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>> Uwe Brauer <oub@eucmos.sim.ucm.es> writes:
>>
UB> Forgot to add, kevin Rodgers suspect, that the culprit could be
UB> feedmail-deduce-envelope-from, which return nil, and does not use
UB> user-mail-address as it should.

I am using feedmail and also had problems with nil as envelop address. I
could solve it by setting the variables mail-specify-envelope-from and/or
mail-envelope-from.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: feedmail causes problem with spam filtes
@ 2003-02-06 21:15       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2003-02-06 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> writes:

> I am using feedmail and also had problems with nil as envelop
> address. I could solve it by setting the variables
> mail-specify-envelope-from and/or mail-envelope-from.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         but this helped
   this did not help
although it is a variable of sendmail not smtpmail.

In any case THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Uwe

* Re: feedmail causes problem with spam filtes
@ 2003-02-07 12:33         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-02-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Brauer <oub@eucmos.sim.ucm.es> writes:

> Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> writes:
>

>> I am using feedmail and also had problems with nil as envelop
>> address. I could solve it by setting the variables
>> mail-specify-envelope-from and/or mail-envelope-from.
>    this did not help
> although it is a variable of sendmail not smtpmail.

Could you try upgrading to the latest mail-lib, 1.56, and try it
without setting those variables?  I think it may have already been
solved.

The XEmacs feedmail.el seems rather outdated though.