all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Incompatibilities with the new gnus
@ 2004-09-11 18:39 Piet van Oostrum
From: Piet van Oostrum @ 2004-09-11 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found a few problems switching to the current CVS version of emacs with
the new gnus:

Some of my nnfolders forget the information about read messages.

One of my newsgroups (comp.lang.python) gets into an endless loop:

Retrieving newsgroup: comp.lang.python...
Fetching headers for comp.lang.python...
NNTP: Receiving headers...done
Created backup copy of overview in /Users/piet/News/agent/nntp/localhost/comp/lang/python/.overview~1~.
Overview buffer not sorted!
Finding sort keys...
Sorting records...
Reordering buffer... Done
Overview buffer not sorted!
Finding sort keys...
Sorting records...
Reordering buffer... Done
Overview buffer not sorted!
Finding sort keys...
Sorting records...
Reordering buffer... Done
Overview buffer not sorted!
Finding sort keys...
Sorting records...
Reordering buffer... Done
Overview buffer not sorted!
Finding sort keys...
Sorting records...
Reordering buffer... Done
Overview buffer not sorted!
Finding sort keys...
Sorting records...
Reordering buffer... Done

etc.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

* Re: Incompatibilities with the new gnus
@ 2004-09-11 20:23 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-09-11 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> writes:

> I found a few problems switching to the current CVS version of emacs with
> the new gnus:
>
> Some of my nnfolders forget the information about read messages.

Can you reproduce it?

You aren't switching between 5.9 and 5.11, are you?  Going back to 5.9
after using 5.11 will result in lost messages flags, and possibly
other problems.  Downgrading isn't safe, see GNUS-NEWS:

** Upgrading from previous (stable) version if you have used Oort.

If you have tried Oort (the unstable Gnus branch leading to this
release) but went back to a stable version, be careful when upgrading
to this version.  In particular, you will probably want to remove all
.marks (nnml) and .mrk (nnfolder) files, so that flags are read from
your ~/.newsrc.eld instead of from the .marks/.mrk file where this
release store flags.  See a later entry for more information about
marks.  Note that downgrading isn't safe in general.

> One of my newsgroups (comp.lang.python) gets into an endless loop:
>
> Retrieving newsgroup: comp.lang.python...
> Fetching headers for comp.lang.python...
> NNTP: Receiving headers...done
> Created backup copy of overview in /Users/piet/News/agent/nntp/localhost/comp/lang/python/.overview~1~.

Why is that?  Disk full?  Path doesn't exist?  Try removing the entire
directory, /Users/piet/News/agent/nntp/localhost/comp/lang/python/.