all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-02-12  3:46 Matthew Pettis
From: Matthew Pettis @ 2011-02-12  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(Trying to make a big push to convert from UltraEdit to Emacs because I've
just seen too many people too good with editing in Emacs to not try...)

I'm trying to set a HOME .emacs file for GNU Emacs 23.2 on Windows7 64-bit.
 I'm trying to follow the recommendations in section 3.5 at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Installing-Emacs.html .

Problems I'm having is:

1. I can't create files in c:\ (I don't know why, it's my work computer so
maybe there's a restriction)...
2. I can't make '.emacs' files anywhere because the OS tells me I need a
filename (i.e., I can't have a leading '.' in the filename).
3. The registry hives mentioned at the link don't seem to exist in the
registry, so I don't know what I can do to set them.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Matt

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-02-12  3:58 ` Matthew Pettis
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1297544590.26188.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Pettis @ 2011-02-12  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think I need to retract this... I just see that I overlooked the fact that
I can name a file 'init.el' which should suffice.

However, I know I'll be pinging this list again... sorry for the premature
ping for help.

Matt

--
Seven Deadly Sins (Gandhi):
  - Wealth without work             - Politics without principle

* RE: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-02-12 18:07   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-02-12 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Matthew Pettis', help-gnu-emacs

>> 2. I can't make '.emacs' files anywhere because the
>> OS tells me I need a filename (i.e., I can't have a
>> leading '.' in the filename).
>
> I think I need to retract this... I just see that I
> overlooked the fact that I can name a file 'init.el'
> which should suffice.

In addition, it might help to know that you can easily create a `.emacs' file
using Emacs itself.  Just use `C-x C-f .emacs' in your home directory (for
example, c:/).  Put whatever you want in the file, save it, and restart Emacs to
use it.

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-02-12 21:03 ` Michel Chassey
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1297544590.26188.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michel Chassey @ 2011-02-12 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't emacs just as well accept a _emacs file (
underline char instead of a dot ) and then Windows will leave you alone with
the file name ? see sections 1 and 2 of your question
Also setting an environement variable called HOME   =
c:\path\to\my\preferred\etc. in My Computer system will enable emacs to find
it just about anywhere on C:  ?

This is probably in some FAQ.
Hope this helps,
Michel Chassey

mpettis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [SNIP]
> I'm trying to set a HOME .emacs file for GNU Emacs 23.2 on Windows7
> 64-bit.
>  I'm trying to follow the recommendations in section 3.5 at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Installing-Emacs.html .
>
> Problems I'm having is:
>
> 1. I can't create files in c:\ (I don't know why, it's my work computer so
> maybe there's a restriction)...
> 2. I can't make '.emacs' files anywhere because the OS tells me I need a
> filename (i.e., I can't have a leading '.' in the filename).
> 3. The registry hives mentioned at the link don't seem to exist in the
> registry, so I don't know what I can do to set them.
>
> I'd appreciate any help.
>
> Thank you,
> Matt

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1297544590.26188.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-02-12 21:28   ` Vagn Johansen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7.1297608840.15503.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2011-02-12 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michel Chassey <mycuser@gmail.com> writes:

> Also setting an environement variable called HOME   =
> c:\path\to\my\preferred\etc. in My Computer system will enable emacs to find
> it just about anywhere on C:  ?

After setting HOME you can load .emacs via

 C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

Note the ~ which represents "home"

--
Vagn Johansen

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-02-13  1:20     ` Matthew Pettis
       [not found]     ` <mailman.7.1297608840.15503.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Pettis @ 2011-02-13  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagn Johansen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you all for your help!  I did the C-x X-f ~/.emacs, and it worked!

Thanks again,
Matt

--

@ 2011-03-08  6:12       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2011-03-08  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

FYI: there's an emacs hacked especially for windows: NTEMACS (well, ntemacs).

The "nt" part comes from the first MS os capable of handling something
like emacs, "NT".

Anyway, I use it (version 23.2 I think it is) -- is dead easy to install,
and works wonderfully -- it's just as if I'm on my sun, running emacs.
Can't tell the difference.

Hope this helps!

David

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-03-09  3:36         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-09  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> FYI: there's an Emacs hacked especially for windows: NTEMACS (well, ntemacs).
> The "nt" part comes from the first MS os capable of handling something
> like emacs, "NT".

Not exactly: there was an "NTEmacs" port of Emacs to the Windows
platform, but it has been merged into Emacs many moons ago.
Nowadays NTEmacs is nothing else than "Emacs compiled for Windows".

> Anyway, I use it (version 23.2 I think it is)

So you're using Emacs-23.2 rather than NTEmacs.

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-03-24 18:54           ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2011-03-24 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <jwvsjuxhsrw.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> FYI: there's an Emacs hacked especially for windows: NTEMACS (well, ntemacs).
>> The "nt" part comes from the first MS os capable of handling something
>> like emacs, "NT".
>
>Not exactly: there was an "NTEmacs" port of Emacs to the Windows
>platform, but it has been merged into Emacs many moons ago.
>Nowadays NTEmacs is nothing else than "Emacs compiled for Windows".
>
>> Anyway, I use it (version 23.2 I think it is)
>
>So you're using Emacs-23.2 rather than NTEmacs.
>

>        Stefan

Thanks, Stefan.  But I'm still confused by what you say.

M-x version says this:
   GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD

And yes, I did indeed download something called NTemacs.

   http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/  is one place that has one.

(Actually, I forget where I got "mine" from.)

Thanks!

David

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-03-25  1:42             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-25  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> M-x version says this:
>    GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD

Right, that Emacs, built for w32.

> And yes, I did indeed download something called NTemacs.
>    http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/  is one place that has one.

Clicking on the first link on that page, leads you to a page that
includes a description of the project: "This project provides the latest
binary builds of the Emacs CVS repository for Win32. It is not an
official distribution of Emacs, and neither does it come with any
support. Long live Emacs!".  Most likely the "CVS" part is a left over
since we've switched to Bazaar a while ago.

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-03-25 12:26               ` Uday Reddy
From: Uday Reddy @ 2011-03-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3/25/2011 1:42 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Clicking on the first link on that page, leads you to a page that
> includes a description of the project: "This project provides the latest
> binary builds of the Emacs CVS repository for Win32. It is not an
> official distribution of Emacs, and neither does it come with any
> support. Long live Emacs!".

Interesting.  The Emacs there was compiled on YAMALOK, which is the
world of the dead in Sanskrit.  And it was compiled by yamaraj, the god
of the dead.

NT Emacs died but lives on as the Gnu Emacs in its afterlife.  (So you
learn something about Hinduism: death is but a transformation.)

Long live Emacs indeed!

Cheers,
Uday

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
@ 2011-03-27  6:22               ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2011-03-27  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <jwvr59wt1w2.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>,
Stefan Monnier  <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> M-x version says this:
>>    GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD
>
>Right, that Emacs, built for w32.
>
>> And yes, I did indeed download something called NTemacs.
>>    http://ntemacs.sourceforge.net/  is one place that has one.
>
>Clicking on the first link on that page, leads you to a page that
>includes a description of the project: "This project provides the latest
>binary builds of the Emacs CVS repository for Win32. It is not an
>official distribution of Emacs, and neither does it come with any
>support. Long live Emacs!".  Most likely the "CVS" part is a left over
>since we've switched to Bazaar a while ago.
>

>        Stefan

Well, thanks for the update.

Given that, how *do* I get the newest emacs dll-or-whatever, already
built (I sure don't want to do it for windows!).

Exactly which url will I find it on?  (Please!  Having never even
heard of Bazaar (soon will wikipedia it) and with NTemacs
no longer the latest and best thing and my resulting confusion
from all that, instead of my usual hunting around, googling, etc, I'd
rather rely directly on you, who seems to have all this new stuff
at your fingertips.  THANK YOU, Stefan!)

After I try your suggestion, and can get it to work on *my*
Dell-xp computer, I'll go update all the places I told
how wonderful NTEMACS was.

Thanks again.

David

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-03-27 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 06:22:07 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Given that, how *do* I get the newest emacs dll-or-whatever, already
> built (I sure don't want to do it for windows!).
>
> Exactly which url will I find it on?  (Please!  Having never even
> heard of Bazaar (soon will wikipedia it) and with NTemacs
> no longer the latest and best thing and my resulting confusion
> from all that, instead of my usual hunting around, googling, etc, I'd
> rather rely directly on you, who seems to have all this new stuff
> at your fingertips.  THANK YOU, Stefan!)

I'm not Stefan, but I can tell that you will find precompiled Windows
binaries of the development version of Emacs here:

   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

and precompiled binaries of official releases here:

   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

* Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-28 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Given that, how *do* I get the newest emacs dll-or-whatever, already
> built (I sure don't want to do it for windows!).

For all I know the Emacs you got is indeed a very recent version of
Emacs.  All I pointed out is that "NTEmacs" doesn't exist any more or
rather it is the same as "Emacs" nowadays.  Many people keep using the
term NTEmacs to refer to the W32 build of Emacs, which is not a problem
except that some people then end up thinking it's something different
from Emacs itslef (e.g. that Emacs itself doesn't support W32 or not as
well as "NTEmacs").