all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#15372: eshell gives environment variables high precedence
@ 2013-09-13 17:40 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-09-13 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 15372

Package: emacs
Version: 24.3

I don't use eshell, so maybe this is how it is supposed to work, but
from the point of view of normal shells, this seems wrong:

foo=FOOBAR emacs -Q -f eshell
eshell> for foo in 5 { echo $foo }
        -> FOOBAR

Cf:

bash> export foo=FOOBAR
bash> for foo in 5; do echo $foo; done
      -> 5

* bug#15372: eshell gives environment variables high precedence
@ 2013-09-13 19:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-09-13 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 15372

> I don't use eshell, so maybe this is how it is supposed to work, but
> from the point of view of normal shells, this seems wrong:
> foo=FOOBAR emacs -Q -f eshell
> eshell> for foo in 5 { echo $foo }
> -> FOOBAR

Sorry, I saw this email too late.  Yes, indeed, this should be a bug.

* bug#15372: eshell gives environment variables high precedence
@ 2013-09-13 19:11   ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2150.1379202245.10748.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-09-13 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 15372

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Sorry, I saw this email too late.  Yes, indeed, this should be a bug.

It's like that since at least 22.1; ie this is not related to your changes.

* bug#15372: eshell gives environment variables high precedence
@ 2013-09-14 23:43     ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2150.1379202245.10748.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-09-14 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 15372

If you set eshell-prefer-lisp-variables non-nil, it works.

* Re: bug#15372: eshell gives environment variables high precedence
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2150.1379202245.10748.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-09-20 18:38       ` Aidan Gauland
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2593.1379703245.10748.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2013-09-20 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> If you set eshell-prefer-lisp-variables non-nil, it works.

I will add a mention of this in the manual, since users should not have
to hunt that variable down as you did.

* bug#15372: eshell gives environment variables high precedence
@ 2013-09-20 18:53         ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2593.1379703245.10748.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-09-20 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Gauland; +Cc: 15372

Please don't post to bug-gnu-emacs via the newsgroup (it bypasses the
bug tracker).

Aidan Gauland wrote:

> Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> If you set eshell-prefer-lisp-variables non-nil, it works.
>
> I will add a mention of this in the manual, since users should not have
> to hunt that variable down as you did.

Actually I believe I fixed the issue. But that variable can be mentioned
anyway, just not in this context.

@ 2013-09-21  0:41           ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2013-09-21  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 15372

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Aidan Gauland wrote:
>
>> Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> If you set eshell-prefer-lisp-variables non-nil, it works.
>>
>> I will add a mention of this in the manual, since users should not have
>> to hunt that variable down as you did.
>
> Actually I believe I fixed the issue. But that variable can be mentioned
> anyway, just not in this context.

So, to clarify, what behaviour did you change/fix?

* bug#15372: eshell gives environment variables high precedence
@ 2013-09-21  0:47             ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-09-21  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Gauland; +Cc: 15372

Aidan Gauland wrote:

> So, to clarify, what behaviour did you change/fix?

foo=FOOBAR emacs -Q -f eshell
eshell>
echo $foo                    # -> FOOBAR
for foo in 5 { echo $foo }   # -> 5   [was FOOBAR, a bug]
echo $foo                    # -> FOOBAR