all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Different faces / background for read-only buffers
@ 2011-02-08  8:01 Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-08  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was sure I had asked this before, but a quick look at the threads
suggests not.

Is there any way of configuring things such that read-only buffers are
displayed in a different colour scheme? Either by changing the
background or, in the worst case, by using the faces that are used (I'm
particularly interested in buffers using a homegrown mode, but would
prefer a general solution).

I'm using emacs-nox, if it makes any difference.

--
Gary        Please do NOT send me 'courtesy' replies off-list.
GNU Emacs 23.2.1

* Re: Different faces / background for read-only buffers
@ 2011-02-08 10:17 ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-02-08 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Have you looked into buffer-face-mood and view-mode-hook?

--
Le

* Re: Different faces / background for read-only buffers
@ 2011-02-08 12:03   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-08 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le Wang wrote:

> Have you looked into buffer-face-mood and view-mode-hook?

Do you mean buffer-face-mode? I can't find buffer-face-mood.

--

@ 2011-02-08 13:29     ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-02-08 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> wrote:

> Do you mean buffer-face-mode? I can't find buffer-face-mood.

Very mature.  Welcome to my killfile.

--
Le

* Re: Different faces / background for read-only buffers
@ 2011-02-08 13:58       ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le Wang wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Gary
> wrote:
>
>     Do you mean buffer-face-mode? I can't find buffer-face-mood.
>
> Very mature.  Welcome to my killfile.
>
> --
> Le

What?

* Re: Different faces / background for read-only buffers
@ 2011-02-08 23:55         ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-02-08 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2011/2/8 Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name>:
> Le Wang wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Gary
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Do you mean buffer-face-mode? I can't find buffer-face-mood.
>>
>> Very mature.  Welcome to my killfile.
>>
>> --
>> Le
>
> What?

Apparently Le thought you were mocking him and added you to his "killfile".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killfile

I think Le did mean buffer-face-mode.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Different faces / background for read-only buffers
@ 2011-02-09  9:04           ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2011-02-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan wrote:

> Apparently Le thought you were mocking him

Ah well, there are fuckwits the world over. And yeah, I know it's not
nice to mock the afflicted, especially behind their backs. /slaps own wrist

>  and added you to his
> "killfile".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killfile

Yeah, that bit I gathered :)