all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to switch to last visited buffer in other window ?
@ 2005-01-26 22:24 Ben Barrowes
From: Ben Barrowes @ 2005-01-26 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

When using emacs, I typically have 5 or so windows open in the same session.

Is there any way to save the current buffer name into a register? or
somewhere where I can get it back?

At times, I would like to switch to a certain buffer with a name I know,
say "*terminal*" or something, yank, and then return to the last visited
buffer in the original buffer's window.

The problem is, I don't specifically know the name of the original
buffer... it could be any of the other 4 buffers I have open.

I thought about saving the name of the buffer in the buffer-name-history
and then return to the last visited:

   (lambda ()
     (add-to-list 'buffer-name-history
                  (abbreviate-file-name (buffer-name))))

ans call it whenever I (other-window 1),
but this breaks down when I have visited a buffer more than once as
(apparently) emacs won't insert the buffer-name into a list that
contains that exact entry earlier in the list. Therefore, I can't return
to the last visited buffer because that name is not necessarily the last
in the list.

Is there some excursion-type command I could use?

My workaround at the moment is, in the original buffer to
switch-to-buffer *terminal* (so that I have 2 windows pointing to the
same buffer), yank into *terminal*, then bury-buffer.

This seems inelegant. Any other way to do it?

Thanks,
Ben Barrowes

* Re: how to switch to last visited buffer in other window ?
@ 2005-01-27 12:09 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-01-27 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ben Barrowes <barrowes@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> When using emacs, I typically have 5 or so windows open in the same
> session.
>
> Is there any way to save the current buffer name into a register? or
> somewhere where I can get it back?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want, but I use this:

(defun switch-prev-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer (other-buffer)))

(global-set-key [f1] 'switch-prev-buffer)

Try it and see.

/Mathias

* Re: how to switch to last visited buffer in other window ?
@ 2005-01-27 14:13   ` Ben Barrowes
From: Ben Barrowes @ 2005-01-27 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

This just switches to the next buffer window in some predetermined list.
I want to go to the last buffer visited before the current buffer
regardless of how I got there.

BTW, other-buffer didn't do anything on my emacs, other-window worked,
though...

@ 2005-01-27 16:25     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-01-27 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.01.2005 um 15:13 schrieb Ben Barrowes:

> I want to go to the last buffer visited before the current buffer
> regardless of how I got there.

I usually use C-x b. The function "switch-to-buffer" takes me back to
the view I had before, i.e. It recovers buffer contents of the object
before in this buffer. For me it works having different frames and each
two or three buffers (windows) open. I have the feeling that the
history is somehow local, i.e. each buffer or frame knows what was
visiting this buffer before ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

“I hope to die before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.”
      - Donald E. Knuth, 2001-10-02 in Tübingen.

* Re: how to switch to last visited buffer in other window ?
@ 2005-01-27 18:22     ` Dodge, Edwardx K
From: Dodge, Edwardx K @ 2005-01-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

M-x switch-to-buffer <RETURN>

--
Edward Dodge

   __o   | Contractor: Husdon Mask Design
 _`\(,_  | Phone:      (978) 553-6586
(_)/ (_) |

* Re: how to switch to last visited buffer in other window ?
@ 2005-01-27 18:34       ` Ben Barrowes
From: Ben Barrowes @ 2005-01-27 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

switch-to-buffer isn't sufficient. When switch-to-buffer is called, it
defaults to taking you to currently undusplayed buffer, or you can
scroll through buffer-name-history, which doesn't always list the last
buffer you visited last.

I want to visit the last buffer I visited before the present one in the
other buffer's window. Problem is I can't seem to find out a way to
switch back when I don't know the name of the buffer I came from.

Ben

@ 2005-01-27 18:49         ` Dodge, Edwardx K
From: Dodge, Edwardx K @ 2005-01-27 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

M-x window-configuration-to-register

Choose a letter.  When you want to go back to having windows
containing that particular buffer-configuration,  use this:

M-x jump-to-register

Then type the letter you chose for the first command.

--
Edward Dodge

   __o   |
 _`\(,_  |

* Re: how to switch to last visited buffer in other window ?
@ 2005-01-27 19:17           ` Ben Barrowes
From: Ben Barrowes @ 2005-01-27 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks! That performs the task nicely.