all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* *Buffer-List*: how to rearrange items in it?
@ 2011-01-09  0:43 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2011-01-09  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

 how to move something from the TOP of the *Buffer List* down towards the BOTTOM of it?

Myself, I look at *Buffer List* to remind me what I've recently been interested in or working on.

But, when going through my personal directory (cleaning it up), I'll
see a file-name whose contents I don't reacall, so I'll (dired) C-v
it, and say to myself, yeah, I don't want to delete it, but I probably
won't look at it for quite a while, certainly no time soon.

Unfortuantely, that currently-uninteresting file is now sitting at the VERY TOP of *Buffer List*.

So, how to make a new "(Buffer Menu) mode" command that says "move the
currently pointed-at buffer DOWN that list?

Maybe default to (very near?) the bottom of the list.

Maybe if prefix arg:
    %20   means jump it to 20% down the list (from where it is now?)
    20    means jump it to 20  buffer-names further down the list.

    And maybe if *negative*, that far up, or up from the bottom?

Any ideas?

David

* Re: *Buffer-List*: how to rearrange items in it?
@ 2011-01-09 12:52 ` Raffaele Ricciardi
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Raffaele Ricciardi @ 2011-01-09 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Combs wrote:
>  how to move something from the TOP of the *Buffer List* down towards the BOTTOM of it?
>
> Myself, I look at *Buffer List* to remind me what I've recently been interested in or working on.
>
> But, when going through my personal directory (cleaning it up), I'll
> see a file-name whose contents I don't reacall, so I'll (dired) C-v
> it, and say to myself, yeah, I don't want to delete it, but I probably
> won't look at it for quite a while, certainly no time soon.
>
> Unfortuantely, that currently-uninteresting file is now sitting at the VERY TOP of *Buffer List*.
>
> So, how to make a new "(Buffer Menu) mode" command that says "move the
> currently pointed-at buffer DOWN that list?
>
> Maybe default to (very near?) the bottom of the list.
>
> Maybe if prefix arg:
>     %20   means jump it to 20% down the list (from where it is now?)
>     20    means jump it to 20  buffer-names further down the list.
>
>     And maybe if *negative*, that far up, or up from the bottom?
>

> Any ideas?
>
> David

"C-h f bury-buffer RET"

However, why aren't you just killing such buffer after discovering you
are not interested in it?

* RE: *Buffer-List*: how to rearrange items in it?
@ 2011-01-09 14:30 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1294587760.11727.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-01-09 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David Combs', help-gnu-emacs

> how to move something from the TOP of the *Buffer List* down
> towards the BOTTOM of it?
>
> Myself, I look at *Buffer List* to remind me what I've
> recently been interested in or working on.
>
> But, when going through my personal directory (cleaning it up), I'll
> see a file-name whose contents I don't reacall, so I'll (dired) C-v
> it, and say to myself, yeah, I don't want to delete it, but I probably
> won't look at it for quite a while, certainly no time soon.
>
> Unfortuantely, that currently-uninteresting file is now
> sitting at the VERY TOP of *Buffer List*.
> So, how to make a new "(Buffer Menu) mode" command that says "move the
> currently pointed-at buffer DOWN that list?

I don't have a direct answer: a command to move a buffer to the top or bottom,
but this might help:

* buff-menu+.el.  You can sort the buffers in various ways by clicking column
headings.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BufferMenuPlus

* `M-x bury-buffer' should pretty much move a buffer to the bottom, when sorting
is by access time.

* Accessing a buffer should move it to the top, when sorting by access time.

* See also `ibuffer'.

* Re: *Buffer-List*: how to rearrange items in it?
@ 2011-01-09 15:37 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1294587760.11727.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-01-09 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
() 8 Jan 2011 19:43:54 -0500

   *Buffer List* down towards the BOTTOM of it?

If the *Buffer List* buffer is from ‘list-buffers’ or ‘buffer-menu’,
you can type ‘b’ to "bury" it.  Probably others buffer management
libraries have a similar functionality.

* Re: *Buffer-List*: how to rearrange items in it?
@ 2011-01-18  6:47   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2011-01-18  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <8otp8tFv7qU1@mid.individual.net>,
Raffaele Ricciardi  <rfflrccrd@gmail.com> wrote:
>David Combs wrote:
>>  how to move something from the TOP of the *Buffer List* down towards the BOTTOM of it?
>>
>> Myself, I look at *Buffer List* to remind me what I've recently been interested in or working on.
>>
>> But, when going through my personal directory (cleaning it up), I'll
>> see a file-name whose contents I don't reacall, so I'll (dired) C-v
>> it, and say to myself, yeah, I don't want to delete it, but I probably
>> won't look at it for quite a while, certainly no time soon.
>>
>> Unfortuantely, that currently-uninteresting file is now sitting at the VERY TOP of *Buffer List*.
>>
>> So, how to make a new "(Buffer Menu) mode" command that says "move the
>> currently pointed-at buffer DOWN that list?
>>
>> Maybe default to (very near?) the bottom of the list.
>>
>> Maybe if prefix arg:
>>     %20   means jump it to 20% down the list (from where it is now?)
>>     20    means jump it to 20  buffer-names further down the list.
>>
>>     And maybe if *negative*, that far up, or up from the bottom?
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>
>> David
>>

>"C-h f bury-buffer RET"
>
>However, why aren't you just killing such buffer after discovering you
>are not interested in it?

Thanks for the hint!

I'd still like to be able to push them down by some percentage
that I give it (given how I use *Buffer List*).

Why not just remove the buffer from the list?  Because
I want to be reminded that indeed I have used it recently
(or not so recently -- maybe two days ago).

@ 2011-01-18  6:56   ` David Combs
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5.1295425463.2916.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Combs @ 2011-01-18  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.0.1294587760.11727.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Thien-Thi Nguyen  <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
>() dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
>() 8 Jan 2011 19:43:54 -0500
>
>   *Buffer List* down towards the BOTTOM of it?
>
>If the *Buffer List* buffer is from ‘list-buffers’ or ‘buffer-menu’,
>you can type ‘b’ to "bury" it.  Probably others buffer management
>libraries have a similar functionality.

Thanks for the reply, but I can't read some of your characters -- not ASCII.

Perhaps you could repeat it, but using only plain ASCII?

THANKS!

@ 2011-01-19  8:18     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5.1295425463.2916.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2011-01-19  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
() Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:56:47 +0000 (UTC)

   Perhaps you could repeat it, but using only plain ASCII?

perhaps i could re-sow seeds already flowered,
themselves but gleanings of past hacker kindness.
but mayn't a good time for old perspective sacking
this be, since endpoint is where focus is lacking?
trn is old-skool, fine, but can it be empowered
(or configured or futzed) to surpass 7-bit blindness?
then, you can look back with mirth at your rasping,
and see that to grasp is to begin (only!) the grasping.

@ 2011-01-21  1:38       ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2011-01-21  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.5.1295425463.2916.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Thien-Thi Nguyen  <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
>() dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
>() Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:56:47 +0000 (UTC)
>
>   Perhaps you could repeat it, but using only plain ASCII?
>
>perhaps i could re-sow seeds already flowered,
>themselves but gleanings of past hacker kindness.
>but mayn't a good time for old perspective sacking
>this be, since endpoint is where focus is lacking?
>trn is old-skool, fine, but can it be empowered
>(or configured or futzed) to surpass 7-bit blindness?
>then, you can look back with mirth at your rasping,
>and see that to grasp is to begin (only!) the grasping.

Very nice indeed, that!

Nonetheless, I still am unable to benefit (or even read!)'
your probably *brilliant* suggestion.  :-(

If you want to put it up on some website, where
your non-7bit stuff *will* show correctly, then
we all can go there, *and* benefit from
your thinking!

Thanks,

David