all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sql mode tutorial
@ 2011-01-17  8:21 Giulio Petrucci
From: Giulio Petrucci @ 2011-01-17  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

could anyone suggest me a dummy-level tutorial for emacs' sql mode?

Thanks in advance,
Giulio - Italia

* Re: sql mode tutorial
@ 2011-01-18  6:29 ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-01-18  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 17, 1:21 pm, Giulio Petrucci <sis...@nonono.boh> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> could anyone suggest me a dummy-level tutorial for emacs' sql mode?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Giulio - Italia
>
> --

Is your main problem sql or emacs sql mode?

If the former I suggest starting with sqlite and sqlite manager plugin
for firefox.

If the latter you need to ask more specific questions.
[Disclaimer: Ive never used sql mode]

* Re: sql mode tutorial
@ 2011-01-18 10:15   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-01-18 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 18.01.2011 8:29, rusi wrote:
> On Jan 17, 1:21 pm, Giulio Petrucci<sis...@nonono.boh>  wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> could anyone suggest me a dummy-level tutorial for emacs' sql mode?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Giulio - Italia
>>
>> --
>
> Is your main problem sql or emacs sql mode?
>
> If the former I suggest starting with sqlite and sqlite manager plugin
> for firefox.
>
> If the latter you need to ask more specific questions.
> [Disclaimer: Ive never used sql mode]

I think that Giulio Petrucci ask for tutor which modes
support SQL, how connect from Emacs to different DB,
how about completition of table/field names or
viewing existing tables in DB.

There many Enterprise solution like "Aqua Data Studio".
That Emacs can oppose to?

* Re: sql mode tutorial
@ 2011-01-18 12:46   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-18 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 17, 1:21 pm, Giulio Petrucci <sis...@nonono.boh> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> could anyone suggest me a dummy-level tutorial for emacs' sql mode?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Giulio - Italia
>>
>> --
>
> Is your main problem sql or emacs sql mode?
>
> If the former I suggest starting with sqlite and sqlite manager plugin
> for firefox.

Why?

mysql is a perfectly straightforward reasonable rdbms.

You also get phpmyadmin to play with in the browser.

@ 2011-01-18 12:50 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-18 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Giulio Petrucci <sisisi@nonono.boh> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> could anyone suggest me a dummy-level tutorial for emacs' sql mode?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Giulio - Italia

sql mode is pretty straightforward and basic.

Don't expect an awful lot other than an emacs front end to mysql.

Start it and then do a "C-h m" to see local sql bindings. Dont expect
things like field completion (afaik - and willing to be corrected!) or
smart query construction, data browsing  or join help etc.

I use it all the time simply as its in emacs.

regards

r.

* Re: sql mode tutorial
@ 2011-01-18 17:22     ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-01-18 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 18, 5:46 pm, Richard Riley <rile...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > Is your main problem sql or emacs sql mode?
>
> > If the former I suggest starting with sqlite and sqlite manager plugin
> > for firefox.
>
> Why?
>
> mysql is a perfectly straightforward reasonable rdbms.

As for the merits of mysql vs sqlite Ive nothing to say -- they are
quite different things.
My point was about emacs-sql-mode vs firefox-sqlite-manager.
Here youve answered yourself:

> sql mode is pretty straightforward and basic.
>
> Don't expect an awful lot other than an emacs front end to mysql.
>
> Start it and then do a "C-h m" to see local sql bindings. Dont expect
> things like field completion (afaik - and willing to be corrected!) or
> smart query construction, data browsing  or join help etc.

The sqlite-manager plugin is sufficiently visual that it can be
helpful even to someone who knows sql

* Re: sql mode tutorial
@ 2011-01-18 17:49       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-01-18 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 18, 5:46 pm, Richard Riley <rile...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is your main problem sql or emacs sql mode?
>>
>> > If the former I suggest starting with sqlite and sqlite manager plugin
>> > for firefox.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> mysql is a perfectly straightforward reasonable rdbms.
>
> As for the merits of mysql vs sqlite Ive nothing to say -- they are
> quite different things.
> My point was about emacs-sql-mode vs firefox-sqlite-manager.
> Here youve answered yourself:
>
>> sql mode is pretty straightforward and basic.
>>
>> Don't expect an awful lot other than an emacs front end to mysql.
>>
>> Start it and then do a "C-h m" to see local sql bindings. Dont expect
>> things like field completion (afaik - and willing to be corrected!) or
>> smart query construction, data browsing  or join help etc.
>
> The sqlite-manager plugin is sufficiently visual that it can be
> helpful even to someone who knows sql

Yes, but he was asking about sql mode.