all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Comments in assembly-mode and tabstops
@ 2011-01-02 15:19 Mark Tilford
From: Mark Tilford @ 2011-01-02 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

1)  If I want to comment out a few lines of assembly, I tend to:
- Move the cursor to the beginning of the line.
- Push semicolon

Unfortunately, emacs decides to jump to the end of the line (or worse,
sometimes the middle of the line) before putting down the semicolon.
I have to use the method of:
- Move the cursor to the beginning of the line
- Push enter
- Push up
- Push semicolon
- Push delete

This is very annoying.  What's the intended way to comment out code in
assembly-mode (or disable the above behavior)?

2)  I like a two or four space indention on my code.  Unfortunately,
emacs tends to store this as a mix of tabs and spaces.
Is there a way to have emacs handle the combination of, say, a four
space indent and three levels deep stored as three tab characters, and
displayed with the width of 12 spaces?

3)  I'm really used to the behavior of "If a line is wider than the
window, down arrowing only stops once on that line."  Is there a way
to get this behavior back?

* Re: Comments in assembly-mode and tabstops
@ 2011-01-02 17:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-01-02 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 09:19:35 -0600
> From: Mark Tilford <ralphmerridew@gmail.com>
>
> 1)  If I want to comment out a few lines of assembly, I tend to:
> - Move the cursor to the beginning of the line.
> - Push semicolon
>
> Unfortunately, emacs decides to jump to the end of the line (or worse,
> sometimes the middle of the line) before putting down the semicolon.
> I have to use the method of:
> - Move the cursor to the beginning of the line
> - Push enter
> - Push up
> - Push semicolon
> - Push delete
>
> This is very annoying.  What's the intended way to comment out code in
> assembly-mode (or disable the above behavior)?

Try customizing the variable comment-column, it sounds like you'd like
its value to be zero.

> 2)  I like a two or four space indention on my code.  Unfortunately,
> emacs tends to store this as a mix of tabs and spaces.
> Is there a way to have emacs handle the combination of, say, a four
> space indent and three levels deep stored as three tab characters, and
> displayed with the width of 12 spaces?

Customize the variable indent-tabs-mode to nil.

> 3)  I'm really used to the behavior of "If a line is wider than the
> window, down arrowing only stops once on that line."  Is there a way
> to get this behavior back?

Customize line-move-visual to nil.  (This is in NEWS.)

* Re: Comments in assembly-mode and tabstops
@ 2011-01-04  6:46 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-01-04  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/2/11 8:19 AM, Mark Tilford wrote:
> 1)  If I want to comment out a few lines of assembly, I tend to:
> - Move the cursor to the beginning of the line.
> - Push semicolon
>
> Unfortunately, emacs decides to jump to the end of the line (or worse,
> sometimes the middle of the line) before putting down the semicolon.
> I have to use the method of:
> - Move the cursor to the beginning of the line
> - Push enter
> - Push up
> - Push semicolon
> - Push delete
>
> This is very annoying.  What's the intended way to comment out code in
> assembly-mode (or disable the above behavior)?

Isn't it the same as all modes? i.e. mark the beginning of the first line,
move down, and type M-;

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA