all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 'Print Buffer' doesn't print
@ 2010-12-31  3:31 Larry Evans
From: Larry Evans @ 2010-12-31  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Selecting 'Print Buffer' under the File menu gives message:

  Spooling...done

however, no printing occurs.  I can print from gedit after
gedit displays a selection of printer and I select one.

While in emacs, did:
  M-x emacs-version
which produced:
  GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
   2010-03-29 on yellow, modified by Debian

The lpr command gives error message:

  /usr/bin/lpr: Error - no default destination available.

What should I do to enable printing an emacs buffer?

TIA.

  -Larry

* Re: 'Print Buffer' doesn't print
@ 2010-12-31  4:43 ` Larry Evans
From: Larry Evans @ 2010-12-31  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/30/10 21:31, Larry Evans wrote:
> Selecting 'Print Buffer' under the File menu gives message:
>
>   Spooling...done
>
> however, no printing occurs.  I can print from gedit after
> gedit displays a selection of printer and I select one.
>
> While in emacs, did:
>   M-x emacs-version
> which produced:
>   GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
>    2010-03-29 on yellow, modified by Debian
>
> The lpr command gives error message:
>
>   /usr/bin/lpr: Error - no default destination available.
>
> What should I do to enable printing an emacs buffer?

In ubuntu, there's a System menu which has an Adminstration item.
When that's selected, there's a Printing item. When that's selected,
several printers appear. Clicking on the printer with check mark
with right mouse button showed a number of items, one of which was
'Set As Default'.  Selecting that 'Set As Default' solved the
problem.

Unfortunately, I'd read the lpinfo, the lpoptions, the lpadmin
and searched several news groups for information before trying
this simple answer.  Another case of OIK (Obvious If Known) :(