all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Excessive questions about "file changed on disk" in tramp ftp
@ 2013-05-02  2:56 XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2013-05-02  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm using TRAMP to edit files on a ftp server.  On saving the
file Emacs usually asks me "file changed on disk.  really save?"
But I'm the only one editing that file, of which I can be sure.
By "usually" I mean almost every time.

Something must be wrong here.  Where shall I start with
debugging?

Thank you.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

* Re: Excessive questions about "file changed on disk" in tramp ftp
       [not found] <mailman.24978.1367463624.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-05-02  3:24 ` Dan Espen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.25013.1367509825.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-05-02  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using TRAMP to edit files on a ftp server.  On saving the
> file Emacs usually asks me "file changed on disk.  really save?"
> But I'm the only one editing that file, of which I can be sure.
> By "usually" I mean almost every time.
>
> Something must be wrong here.  Where shall I start with
> debugging?

Check the time on both systems.

They both should be running NTP and have the exact same time.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Excessive questions about "file changed on disk" in tramp ftp
@ 2013-05-02 15:49   ` XeCycle
       [not found]   ` <mailman.25013.1367509825.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: XeCycle @ 2013-05-02 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using TRAMP to edit files on a ftp server.  On saving the
>> file Emacs usually asks me "file changed on disk.  really save?"
>> But I'm the only one editing that file, of which I can be sure.
>> By "usually" I mean almost every time.
>>
>> Something must be wrong here.  Where shall I start with
>> debugging?
>
> Check the time on both systems.
>
> They both should be running NTP and have the exact same time.

I'm unable to verify the time on the remote machine.  I have only
FTP access to that.  However, time reported in dired is correct,
always earlier than current time.

Or, can I simply turn off this checking for remote files?  Or for
this server?

--

@ 2013-05-02 16:07     ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2013-05-02 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Or, can I simply turn off this checking for remote files?  Or for
> this server?

Already did it by defadvice.

--

@ 2013-05-02 16:28     ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-05-02 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using TRAMP to edit files on a ftp server.  On saving the
>>> file Emacs usually asks me "file changed on disk.  really save?"
>>> But I'm the only one editing that file, of which I can be sure.
>>> By "usually" I mean almost every time.
>>>
>>> Something must be wrong here.  Where shall I start with
>>> debugging?
>>
>> Check the time on both systems.
>>
>> They both should be running NTP and have the exact same time.
>
> I'm unable to verify the time on the remote machine.  I have only
> FTP access to that.  However, time reported in dired is correct,
> always earlier than current time.

How is "earlier than the current time" correct?

Sounds like someone's time isn't right.

> Or, can I simply turn off this checking for remote files?  Or for
> this server?

Don't know, just know that I've seen the issue and the problem
occurred because NTP had died and was not restarted.

At the same time "make" was pretty confused about what needed to be
built and what didn't.

Make sure your local system has the correct time, then contact the
admin on the FTP server and get him to correct his time.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Excessive questions about "file changed on disk" in tramp ftp
@ 2013-05-03  4:30       ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2013-05-03  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

[...]

>> I'm unable to verify the time on the remote machine.  I have only
>> FTP access to that.  However, time reported in dired is correct,
>> always earlier than current time.
>
> How is "earlier than the current time" correct?

That is, the time listed in dired for the remote file is earlier
than my local system time.  E.g. remote file 23:34 vs local
23:35.

> Sounds like someone's time isn't right.

My local system shall be correct.  I run ntp at times, and the
adjustment was always within a second.

>> Or, can I simply turn off this checking for remote files?  Or for
>> this server?
>
> Don't know, just know that I've seen the issue and the problem
> occurred because NTP had died and was not restarted.
>
> At the same time "make" was pretty confused about what needed to be
> built and what didn't.
>
> Make sure your local system has the correct time, then contact the
> admin on the FTP server and get him to correct his time.

I am sure of my local system.  I decided to inhibit this check
for remote files.  Thanks anyway.