all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Long buffer names in buffer menu
@ 2009-10-20 17:51 Adam Beneschan
From: Adam Beneschan @ 2009-10-20 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've just started using EMACS 22 on Ubuntu (previously was using 20 on
another system), and I've run into a frustrating problem...

When I bring up the electric buffer list, long file names are
truncated (with : at the end of the name).  This is a problem for me
since I'm used to using long source file names, and I sometimes work
with multiple files whose names are different only after the point
where EMACS truncates them.  So if I'm working with two or more such
files, the names appear the same in the electric buffer list and I
don't know which one to select.  I can't find any function that would
display the full, untruncated buffer name somewhere while remanining
in the buffer list so that I can pick the correct one.  Is there a
function like that, or could one be written simply?  (I'm pretty
experienced at writing my own Lisp functions, so if someone has some
code for something like this I could get it working.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

                             -- thanks, Adam