all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Slow Screen redraw on scrolling
@ 2008-06-29 14:15 lanchka
From: lanchka @ 2008-06-29 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

It seems to me that compared to some other editors,emacs,with pretty much
default settings  redraws the screen slowly when scrolling with the mouse
wheel.
Can some one tell what I could do to make this better.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Bhargav

* Re: Slow Screen redraw on scrolling
@ 2008-06-29 18:23 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-29 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lanchka; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

lanchka wrote:
> It seems to me that compared to some other editors,emacs,with pretty much
> default settings  redraws the screen slowly when scrolling with the mouse
> wheel.
> Can some one tell what I could do to make this better.

Hi Bhargav,

What version of Emacs and what OS are you using? The current development
version is slow on screen update currently because of a new way of
handling fonts.

* Re: Slow Screen redraw on scrolling
@ 2008-06-29 18:29   ` lanchka
From: lanchka @ 2008-06-29 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> Hi Bhargav,
>
> What version of Emacs and what OS are you using? The current development
> version is slow on screen update currently because of a new way of
> handling fonts.

I am using the current gtk snapshot of emacs because I want to use pretty
fonts.On ubuntu 8.04.
My bad,should have mentioned this .So does this mean I'll have to keep using
22 for some more time till this is sorted out?

* Re: Slow Screen redraw on scrolling
@ 2008-06-29 18:37     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-29 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lanchka; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

lanchka wrote:

> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bhargav,
>>
>> What version of Emacs and what OS are you using? The current development
>> version is slow on screen update currently because of a new way of
>> handling fonts.
>>

> I am using the current gtk snapshot of emacs because I want to use pretty
> fonts.On ubuntu 8.04.
> My bad,should have mentioned this .So does this mean I'll have to keep using
> 22 for some more time till this is sorted out?

That is up to you. I have no idea how long it will take until the screen
updating is faster.

Maybe you would like to use the snapshot and help (and maybe fix) bugs.

* Re: Slow Screen redraw on scrolling
@ 2008-06-30  5:23       ` lanchka
       [not found]         ` <mailman.13989.1214816537.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: lanchka @ 2008-06-30  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> That is up to you. I have no idea how long it will take until the screen
> updating is faster.
>
> Maybe you would like to use the snapshot and help (and maybe fix) bugs.

I have C++ programming experience.No background in lisp or elisp.How do I
get involved?

Thanks

* Re: Slow Screen redraw on scrolling
@ 2008-06-30  9:02         ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.13989.1214816537.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-06-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lanchka; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

lanchka wrote:

> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>>

>> That is up to you. I have no idea how long it will take until the screen
>> updating is faster.
>>
>> Maybe you would like to use the snapshot and help (and maybe fix) bugs.
>>

> I have C++ programming experience.No background in lisp or elisp.How do I
> get involved?
>
> Thanks

Emacs code is a rather small core written in C and a then a lot of code
written in Emacs lisp (elisp) dialect.

To get the development source code go to Emacs home page and check out
the code from the code from the CVS repository. (There are other ways to
get the source code too.)

Subscribe to the Emacs devel mailing list and read it. Read Emacs
manual, both the user and the elisp part. Read the source code. Try to
get a feeling for what is there and where it is.

Try to keep a friendly athmosphere. Sometimes things are frustrating and
difficult. Remember then that everyone is taking part on their free time
and is doing their work with Emacs as a service for other people.

There are many good ideas that never get implemented in Emacs or even
discussed, because people taking part do not have time or interest in
that particular idea. For such things EmacsWiki may be a harbor.

Good luck!

@ 2008-06-30 16:49           ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2008-06-30 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> lanchka wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>>>

>>> That is up to you. I have no idea how long it will take until the
>>> screen updating is faster.
>>>
>>> Maybe you would like to use the snapshot and help (and maybe fix) bugs.
>>>

>> I have C++ programming experience.No background in lisp or elisp.How
>> do I
>> get involved?
>> Thanks
>
> Emacs code is a rather small core written in C and a then a lot of
> code written in Emacs lisp (elisp) dialect.

If this the Gtk version of emacs,
I'd bet the problem is in Pango.

I've got some Gtk Perl stuff that crawls.
It's a known issue with Pango.