all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Porting emacs
@ 2011-02-18 12:15 Boris Moskalev
From: Boris Moskalev @ 2011-02-18 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello

I'm trying to porting emacs to z/OS now. And now I have some problem with porting due there is using EBCDIC encoding.
Could you help me for that problem. May be exist simple answer and I just have to add codes of EBCDIC somewhere.

Thanks

Boris Moskalev
C/C++ Developer
Rocket Software, Inc.
3 Zhukovskiy Street * Miass, Chelyabinsk region 456318 * Russia
Tel: +7.3512.471.471 * Fax: +7.3512.471.470 * Mobile: +7.902.89.27.556
Email: bmoskalev@rs.com<mailto:bmoskalev@rs.com>
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com<http://www.rocketsoftware.com/>

* Re: Porting emacs
       [not found] <mailman.8.1298155303.7110.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-02-19 23:23 ` despen
From: despen @ 2011-02-19 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Boris Moskalev <BMoskalev@rocketsoftware.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to porting emacs to z/OS now. And now I have some problem with porting due there is using EBCDIC encoding.
> Could you help me for that problem. May be exist simple answer and I just have to add codes of EBCDIC somewhere.

Looks like someone beat you to it.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/tools/

I'm pretty sure the best way to go is leave the code in ASCII.

There's little about z/OS that requires EBCDIC.
You would of course want to edit EBCDIC datasets but that's
more a matter of translating the data.

I haven't looked at the port I don't know if someone has done that
or not.

@ 2011-02-19 23:27 ` despen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1298208011.970.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: despen @ 2011-02-19 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Boris Moskalev <BMoskalev@rocketsoftware.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to  porting emacs to z/OS now. And now  I have some problem
> with porting  due there is using  EBCDIC encoding.  Could  you help me
> for that  problem. May be exist simple  answer and I just  have to add
> codes of EBCDIC somewhere.

I should add that I do mainframe work all day on a Linux PC using Emacs.
I never had a desire to run the editor on z/OS, I think you're going
to see performance issues.

A better plan is to develop a set of tools for moving data, submitting
compiles, run TSO commands, do compiles, etc.

* Re: Porting emacs
@ 2011-02-20 13:10 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-02-20 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-18 12:15, Boris Moskalev wrote:
> Hello
> I'm trying to porting emacs to z/OS now. And now I have some problem
> with porting due there is using EBCDIC encoding.
> Could you help me for that problem. May be exist simple answer and I
> just have to add codes of EBCDIC somewhere.

How about check (written Emacs version 19.34):

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/library/IBM+Redbooks/index.html#emacs

If I proper remember when we port cryptographic lib to z/OS
we only convert source (ANSI C) encoding from ASCII to EBCDIC
to compile sources with XL compiler for z/OS.

There are exist GCC for this platform, but we have trouble
with it (static library from GCC binary incompatible with XL
but I don't remember how).

Ask more specific questions.

--
Best regards!

* Re: Porting emacs
@ 2011-02-20 13:15   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1298208011.970.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-02-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-19 23:27, despen@verizon.net wrote:
> Boris Moskalev<BMoskalev@rocketsoftware.com>  writes:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm trying to  porting emacs to z/OS now. And now  I have some problem
>> with porting  due there is using  EBCDIC encoding.  Could  you help me
>> for that  problem. May be exist simple  answer and I just  have to add
>> codes of EBCDIC somewhere.
>
> I should add that I do mainframe work all day on a Linux PC using Emacs.
> I never had a desire to run the editor on z/OS, I think you're going
> to see performance issues.

Yes this is may be best choice. Emacs comes with TRAMP mode
which allow connect to remote machine via SSH and make
editing on Linux/Windows host and all other job (as compilation,
testing) on mainframe.

--
Best regards!

* Re: Porting emacs
@ 2011-02-20 13:31 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-02-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-18 12:15, Boris Moskalev wrote:
> Hello
> I'm trying to porting emacs to z/OS now. And now I have some problem
> with porting due there is using EBCDIC encoding.
> Could you help me for that problem. May be exist simple answer and I
> just have to add codes of EBCDIC somewhere.
I look at 'sg245944.pdf' (google it). In chapter 11 exist command to
build Emacs version 19.34:

$ export $A2E=”-o from=ISO8859-1,to=IBM-1047"
$ mkdir emacs
$ cd emacs
$ pax -rf /u/egont/emacs-19_34_os390_tar.Z $A2E

$ export INSTALLDIR=’/usr/local’
$ ./configure i390-ibm-omvs --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=no \
--prefix=$INSTALLDIR
$ make install

Quoter from "11.6  Porting emacs to OS/390":

  This version of emacs has been ported by MKS
   Software in cooperation with IBM. We don’t have
   any information about what has been changed and
   how difficult it was to port the package to
   OS/390. We are also not aware if MKS will port
   future releases or if the changes will be
   integrated into the mainline of the code. Please
   report your successful installation or any kind of
   problems to MKS to make them aware that emacs is
   used on this platform.

--
Best regards!

* Re: Porting emacs
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3.1298208011.970.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-02-20 15:56     ` despen
From: despen @ 2011-02-20 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2011-02-19 23:27, despen@verizon.net wrote:
>> Boris Moskalev<BMoskalev@rocketsoftware.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm trying to  porting emacs to z/OS now. And now  I have some problem
>>> with porting  due there is using  EBCDIC encoding.  Could  you help me
>>> for that  problem. May be exist simple  answer and I just  have to add
>>> codes of EBCDIC somewhere.
>>
>> I should add that I do mainframe work all day on a Linux PC using Emacs.
>> I never had a desire to run the editor on z/OS, I think you're going
>> to see performance issues.
>>
> Yes this is may be best choice. Emacs comes with TRAMP mode
> which allow connect to remote machine via SSH and make
> editing on Linux/Windows host and all other job (as compilation,
> testing) on mainframe.

I haven't had much success with Emacs directly accessing mainframe
files.  scp returns various errors.

z/OS can mount UNIX files with NFS but I haven't tried that either.

Instead I just ftp files back and forth.  At first I thought that
might be a little slow but moving source files and listings back
and forth is pretty much instantaneous.

Other hints:

Use a .netrc

Write commands in Perl.  Perl pipes to FTP are much easier
than C or shell.