all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?...
@ 2014-03-28  9:08 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2014-03-28  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?... besides using
the tilde as alternative, for example ~words in italics~

* Re: For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?...
@ 2014-03-28  9:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.18397.1395998019.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-03-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 05:08:14 -0400
>
> For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?... besides using
> the tilde as alternative, for example ~words in italics~

Plain-text email cannot express typefaces.

* Re: For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?...
@ 2014-03-28 10:20 ` Don Saklad
       [not found] ` <mailman.18397.1395998019.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Don Saklad @ 2014-03-28 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

It does express foreign alphabets, it could express italics, but how?...

@ 2014-03-28 12:46   ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2014-03-28 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Don Saklad; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org> wrote:

> It does express foreign alphabets, it could express italics, but how?...

𝑊𝑒𝑙𝑙, 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡 𝕦𝕤𝕖 the Mathematical Alphanumerics
Symbols block of Unicode, but that’s perverse.

@ 2014-03-28 13:47   ` Dan.Espen
From: Dan.Espen @ 2014-03-28 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org>
>> Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 05:08:14 -0400
>>
>> For RMAIL in EMACS how do you put words in italics?... besides using
>> the tilde as alternative, for example ~words in italics~
>
> Plain-text email cannot express typefaces.

However, underscore does do _underlines_.
I believe slashes do the /italics/.

Just surround the text with either underlines or slashes.
Asterisks are meant for bold, but GNUS doesn't do that,
it's too easy to bold things you don't want bolded.

Well, if I recall right, it does do *bold*,
but it leaves the asterisks visible.

--
Dan Espen