all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mod4 in terminal is ignored, works from gui
@ 2014-04-21 17:18 Sam Halliday
From: Sam Halliday @ 2014-04-21 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am using xmonad as my window manager, urxvt as my terminal emulator, and emacs24.

When I start the gui version of emacs, I am able to use my "windows" (mod4) key as the super key and I can issue key commands such as "s-s" (which emacs doesn't recognise yet, but I plan to use it for something).

However, when I start `emacs -nw` from urxvt, the mod4 is completely ignored. If I type "windows"-s, then just "s" is printed to the screen.

For ease of moving around, my config files are public:

  https://github.com/fommil/unix

Could somebody please help me to get emacs in terminal mode to recognise the mod4 key?

Best regards,
Sam

* Re: mod4 in terminal is ignored, works from gui
@ 2014-04-21 18:42 ` Dan.Espen
From: Dan.Espen @ 2014-04-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sam Halliday <sam.halliday@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using xmonad as my window manager, urxvt as my terminal emulator, and emacs24.
>
> When I start the gui version of emacs, I am able to use my "windows"
> (mod4) key as the super key and I can issue key commands such as "s-s"
> (which emacs doesn't recognise yet, but I plan to use it for
> something).
>
> However, when I start `emacs -nw` from urxvt, the mod4 is completely
> ignored. If I type "windows"-s, then just "s" is printed to the
> screen.
>
> For ease of moving around, my config files are public:
>
>   https://github.com/fommil/unix
>
> Could somebody please help me to get emacs in terminal mode to recognise the mod4 key?

Terminal programs do not send modifiers as separate events.
You might be able to configure urxvt to send a unique escape sequence on
Mod4-s.  Then configure Emacs to understand that escape sequence.

--
Dan Espen