all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How Do I Remove Text Properties?
@ 2010-09-27 17:29 Noah Lavine
From: Noah Lavine @ 2010-09-27 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I recently yanked some text from the scratch buffer, which colored all
quoted text purple, to a text buffer, which does not do that. As a
result, when I began typing immediately after the quoted text (which
was still purple), the text I inserted was also purple. My question
is, how do I remove the text color?

I tried using remove-text-property or set-text-property, but M-x
didn't recognize them, and I don't know how to run Elisp functions on
buffers without using M-x.

Thanks
Noah Lavine

* Re: How Do I Remove Text Properties?
@ 2010-09-28  3:26 ` Daniel Pittman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1285647507.18948.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-09-28  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Noah Lavine <noah.b.lavine@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently yanked some text from the scratch buffer, which colored all
> quoted text purple, to a text buffer, which does not do that. As a result,
> when I began typing immediately after the quoted text (which was still
> purple), the text I inserted was also purple. My question is, how do I
> remove the text color?

Select the region, and use M-x facemenu-remove-all RET to strip them.

I suspect there is a key binding, but I so seldom use the facility that
I don't know where it is.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

* Re: How Do I Remove Text Properties?
       [not found] <mailman.5.1285640481.16785.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-09-28  3:31 ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2010-09-28  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-09-27, Noah Lavine <noah.b.lavine@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently yanked some text from the scratch buffer, which colored all
> quoted text purple, to a text buffer, which does not do that. As a
> result, when I began typing immediately after the quoted text (which
> was still purple), the text I inserted was also purple. My question
> is, how do I remove the text color?
>
> I tried using remove-text-property or set-text-property, but M-x
> didn't recognize them, and I don't know how to run Elisp functions on
> buffers without using M-x.

    M-x normal-mode

would do this and many other fixups.  Or IIRC you can use the menu...

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: How Do I Remove Text Properties?
@ 2010-09-28  5:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1.1285647507.18948.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-09-28  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:29:06 -0400
> From: Noah Lavine <noah.b.lavine@gmail.com>
>
> I recently yanked some text from the scratch buffer, which colored all
> quoted text purple, to a text buffer, which does not do that. As a
> result, when I began typing immediately after the quoted text (which
> was still purple), the text I inserted was also purple. My question
> is, how do I remove the text color?

With the cursor inside the colored text, type "M-o M-o".

@ 2010-09-28  6:50   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-09-28  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
> Noah Lavine <noah.b.lavine@gmail.com> writes:

>> I recently yanked some text from the scratch buffer, which colored all
>> quoted text purple, to a text buffer, which does not do that. As a result,
>> when I began typing immediately after the quoted text (which was still
>> purple), the text I inserted was also purple. My question is, how do I
>> remove the text color?

> Select the region, and use M-x facemenu-remove-all RET to strip them.

Just as a matter of terminology, there is only one region, hence nothing
to select.  You surely mean _mark_ the region.  If you use "select" when
you really mean "mark", you're going to lose the ability to say "select a
buffer" (meaning C-x b) since this would be mixed up with "mark a buffer"
(meaning C-x h).

> I suspect there is a key binding, but I so seldom use the facility that
> I don't know where it is.

Me neither!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: How Do I Remove Text Properties?
       [not found] <AANLkTi=yq8PnBHRVWR6MCiX@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-09-28  7:49 ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-09-28  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Noah Lavine <noah.b.lavine <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I recently yanked some text from the scratch buffer, which colored all
> quoted text purple, to a text buffer, which does not do that. As a
> result, when I began typing immediately after the quoted text (which
> was still purple), the text I inserted was also purple. My question
> is, how do I remove the text color?

The command facemenu-remove-all will "remove all text properties from
the region."  (I assume you are familiar with the region.)

Hope this helps,
Aidan

* Re: How Do I Remove Text Properties?
@ 2010-09-28  9:06     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-28  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>> Noah Lavine <noah.b.lavine@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I recently yanked some text from the scratch buffer, which colored all
>>> quoted text purple, to a text buffer, which does not do that. As a result,
>>> when I began typing immediately after the quoted text (which was still
>>> purple), the text I inserted was also purple. My question is, how do I
>>> remove the text color?
>
>> Select the region, and use M-x facemenu-remove-all RET to strip them.
>
> Just as a matter of terminology, there is only one region, hence nothing
> to select.  You surely mean _mark_ the region.  If you use "select" when
> you really mean "mark", you're going to lose the ability to say "select a
> buffer" (meaning C-x b) since this would be mixed up with "mark a buffer"
> (meaning C-x h).

Context is our friend ;) I must admit to still talk about "selecting a
region". Especially for mouse users "select a region with the mouse".

>> I suspect there is a key binding, but I so seldom use the facility that
>> I don't know where it is.

C-h f funcname

gives you the key binding for a function "funcname".