all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-07 22:45 Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2011-05-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I just upgraded a machine to Ubuntu Natty, which installed Emacs 23.2,
which appears to open XML files in nxml-mode by default. My .emacs file says

> (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t )
> (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$" . xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))

which has been working fine for years. It looks as if Emacs 23.2 defines
xml-mode to point to nxml-mode, and this is somehow superseding my .emacs.

Unfortunately I still need to use psgml's xml-mode for all my XML stuff.
Does anyone know how I disable Emacs' new behaviour?

///Peter

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-08 19:24 ` Luuk
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Luuk @ 2011-05-08 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 08-05-2011 00:45, Peter Flynn wrote:
> I just upgraded a machine to Ubuntu Natty, which installed Emacs 23.2,
> which appears to open XML files in nxml-mode by default. My .emacs file
> says
>
>> (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t )
>> (setq auto-mode-alist (cons
>> '("\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$" .
>> xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>
> which has been working fine for years. It looks as if Emacs 23.2 defines
> xml-mode to point to nxml-mode, and this is somehow superseding my .emacs.
>
> Unfortunately I still need to use psgml's xml-mode for all my XML stuff.
> Does anyone know how I disable Emacs' new behaviour?
>
> ///Peter

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/200707/msg00126.html

Is an article from someone who is switching to nxml in 2007, about 4
years ago......

I was just Googling because i want to know what nXML is, but still have
not found the answer ;)

--
Luuk

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-08 21:45   ` Joe Kesselman
From: Joe Kesselman @ 2011-05-08 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5/8/2011 3:24 PM, Luuk wrote:
> I was just Googling because i want to know what nXML is, but still have
> not found the answer ;)

nXML is a newer version of the XML syntax-annotation-and-assistance
macros for the Emacs editor.

--
Joe Kesselman,

/\ Stamp out HTML mail!  | "Put down the squeezebox & nobody gets hurt."

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-08 21:46     ` Joe Kesselman

From: Joe Kesselman @ 2011-05-08 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Another reference: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NxmlMode

--

@ 2011-05-09 18:26       ` Luuk
From: Luuk @ 2011-05-09 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 08-05-2011 23:46, Joe Kesselman wrote:
> Another reference: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NxmlMode

thanks... i will look at it, when i've found some time to do that ;)

--
Luuk

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-09 20:12 ` William F Hammond
From: William F Hammond @ 2011-05-09 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:

> . . . It looks as if Emacs 23.2 defines xml-mode to point to
> nxml-mode, and this is somehow superseding my .emacs.

(Really?  Did you build it yourself?)

> Unfortunately I still need to use psgml's xml-mode for all my XML stuff.
> Does anyone know how I disable Emacs' new behaviour?

I'm still using 22, so I can only guess.

But I'd try starting emacs with the switch --no-site-file .
That should not block your own init file.

                                    -- Bill

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-10 11:23 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-05-10 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

the reason it nxml-mode is loaded when u call xml-mode is probably
because there is a alias.

you can probably set it back by:

(defalias 'xml-mode 'sgml-xml-mode)

Peter wrote:
 > (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe]
[PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$" . xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))

that seems to be pretty bad.

you probably want to use add-to-list instead of setq.
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.js\\'" . js2-mode))

also, the file suffix
"\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$"
seems quite wild. What is it?

nxml-mode is a new mode for xml, written by the xml expert James
Clark, who is also the original author of sgml-mode (html-mode and xml-
mode are parts of sgml-mode). nxml-mode features on-the-fly xml
validation. It's 10k lines of elisp.

the following might provide helpful info:

〈How to Install Emacs Packages〉
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_installing_packages.html

〈New Features in Emacs 23〉
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs23_features.html

 Xah

On May 7, 3:45 pm, Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> wrote:
> I just upgraded a machine to Ubuntu Natty, which installed Emacs 23.2,
> which appears to open XML files in nxml-mode by default. My .emacs file says
>
> > (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t )
> > (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$" . xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>
> which has been working fine for years. It looks as if Emacs 23.2 defines
> xml-mode to point to nxml-mode, and this is somehow superseding my .emacs.
>
> Unfortunately I still need to use psgml's xml-mode for all my XML stuff.
> Does anyone know how I disable Emacs' new behaviour?
>
> ///Peter

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-10 17:15   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-05-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the Emacs23 new features pages. It would have been a long
time before I found out about proced and global visual-line-mode on my own.

Two questions on matters your embedded links lead to:
1) Why is ergoemacs not gpl licensed?
2) For kui (keyboard user interface) I use keytweak, firemacs, and
xkeymacs on w32 desktop but on thinkpad I can't get Fn key to do duty as
a mod key even though xev shows it as rassigned by xmodmap. Since you
are an ergonomics maven, I was hoping you (or any-one here) might know
whether the bottom-row keys on a thinkpad could be swapped around and
re-arranged without resorting to kernel surgery a la Rick Van Rein's
Funkey patch:

http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/funkey/#modes

Thanks again, Xah, and, in advance, if you know anything about question 2.

Ed

Xah Lee wrote:
> the reason it nxml-mode is loaded when u call xml-mode is probably
> because there is a alias.
>
> you can probably set it back by:
>
> (defalias 'xml-mode 'sgml-xml-mode)
>
> Peter wrote:
>  > (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe]
> [PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$" . xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>
> that seems to be pretty bad.
>
> you probably want to use add-to-list instead of setq.
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.js\\'" . js2-mode))
>
> also, the file suffix
> "\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$"
> seems quite wild. What is it?
>
> nxml-mode is a new mode for xml, written by the xml expert James
> Clark, who is also the original author of sgml-mode (html-mode and xml-
> mode are parts of sgml-mode). nxml-mode features on-the-fly xml
> validation. It's 10k lines of elisp.
>
> the following might provide helpful info:
>
> 〈How to Install Emacs Packages〉
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_installing_packages.html
>
> 〈New Features in Emacs 23〉
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs23_features.html
>
>  Xah
>
> On May 7, 3:45 pm, Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> wrote:
>> I just upgraded a machine to Ubuntu Natty, which installed Emacs 23.2,
>> which appears to open XML files in nxml-mode by default. My .emacs file says
>>
>>> (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t )
>>> (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$" . xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>> which has been working fine for years. It looks as if Emacs 23.2 defines
>> xml-mode to point to nxml-mode, and this is somehow superseding my .emacs.
>>
>> Unfortunately I still need to use psgml's xml-mode for all my XML stuff.
>> Does anyone know how I disable Emacs' new behaviour?
>>
>> ///Peter

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-10 19:16     ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-05-10 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 10, 10:15 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the Emacs23 new features pages. It would have been a long
> time before I found out about proced and global visual-line-mode on my own.
>
> Two questions on matters your embedded links lead to:
> 1) Why is ergoemacs not gpl licensed?

it is? am curious how you got the impression that it's not?

> 2) For kui (keyboard user interface) I use keytweak, firemacs, and
> xkeymacs on w32 desktop but on thinkpad I can't get Fn key to do duty as
> a mod key even though xev shows it as rassigned by xmodmap. Since you
> are an ergonomics maven, I was hoping you (or any-one here) might know
> whether the bottom-row keys on a thinkpad could be swapped around and
> re-arranged without resorting to kernel surgery a la Rick Van Rein's
> Funkey patch:
>
> http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/funkey/#modes
>
> Thanks again, Xah, and, in advance, if you know anything about question 2.

if i understand correctly, you are using Windows on a desktop and
linux on your thinkpad labtop. Some problem occur with the linux on
thinkpad?

i dont' think i know the answer anyway.

On Windows, you might try AutoHotkey, which i use. I have some
tutorial here:

〈Windows Programing: AutoHotkey Tutorial〉
http://xahlee.org/mswin/autohotkey.html

according to Wikipedia, there's a linux version of AutoHotkey but i
never tried.

am guessing you can't remap Fn key by software on arbitary laptop
because they are probably hardwired in non-standard ways.

thanks for mentioning keytweak
http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

i haven't heard of it before.

 Xah

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-05-10 20:42 ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2011-05-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 07/05/11 23:45, Peter Flynn wrote:
> I just upgraded a machine to Ubuntu Natty, which installed Emacs 23.2,
> which appears to open XML files in nxml-mode by default. My .emacs file
> says
>
>> (autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t )
>> (setq auto-mode-alist (cons
>> '("\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$" .
>> xml-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>
> which has been working fine for years. It looks as if Emacs 23.2 defines
> xml-mode to point to nxml-mode, and this is somehow superseding my .emacs.
>
> Unfortunately I still need to use psgml's xml-mode for all my XML stuff.
> Does anyone know how I disable Emacs' new behaviour?

Thanks to Jason Rumney on the emacs-nxml-mode mailing list, the solution
is to replace the autoload above with

(require 'nxml-mode)
(require 'psgml)

This works perfectly.

///Peter

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-10 23:02   ` Joe Kesselman
From: Joe Kesselman @ 2011-05-10 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> also, the file suffix
> "\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$"
> seems quite wild. What is it?

It's a regular expression which covers .xml and a heck of a lot of other
possible extensions, including many you probably didn't intend to accept
(such as .repepepec, for those whose frogs confuse flies and files).

--

@ 2011-05-10 23:11     ` John Bokma
From: John Bokma @ 2011-05-10 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Kesselman <keshlam.cat.nospam@verizon.net> writes:

>> also, the file suffix
>> "\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$"
>> seems quite wild. What is it?
>
> It's a regular expression which covers .xml and a heck of a lot of
> other possible extensions, including many you probably didn't intend
> to accept (such as .repepepec, for those whose frogs confuse flies and
> files).

LOL!

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-11  2:03       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-05-11  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee wrote:
> On May 10, 10:15 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for the Emacs23 new features pages. It would have been a long
>> time before I found out about proced and global visual-line-mode on my own.
>>
>> Two questions on matters your embedded links lead to:
>> 1) Why is ergoemacs not gpl licensed?
>
> it is? am curious how you got the impression that it's not?
>
>> 2) For kui (keyboard user interface) I use keytweak, firemacs, and
>> xkeymacs on w32 desktop but on thinkpad I can't get Fn key to do duty as
>> a mod key even though xev shows it as rassigned by xmodmap. Since you
>> are an ergonomics maven, I was hoping you (or any-one here) might know
>> whether the bottom-row keys on a thinkpad could be swapped around and
>> re-arranged without resorting to kernel surgery a la Rick Van Rein's
>> Funkey patch:
>>
>> http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/funkey/#modes
>>
>> Thanks again, Xah, and, in advance, if you know anything about question 2.
>
> if i understand correctly, you are using Windows on a desktop and
> linux on your thinkpad labtop. Some problem occur with the linux on
> thinkpad?
>
> i dont' think i know the answer anyway.
>
> On Windows, you might try AutoHotkey, which i use. I have some
> tutorial here:
>
> 〈Windows Programing: AutoHotkey Tutorial〉
> http://xahlee.org/mswin/autohotkey.html
>
> according to Wikipedia, there's a linux version of AutoHotkey but i
> never tried.
>
> am guessing you can't remap Fn key by software on arbitary laptop
> because they are probably hardwired in non-standard ways.

True but xev (x events) shows them redefined and sending state
information (downkey and upkey). I think those are the only two states
on any mod key.

> thanks for mentioning keytweak
> http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/
>
> i haven't heard of it before.
>
>  Xah

Sorry. All I did was read the ergoemacs feature list and saw the
creative commons link at the bottom of the page (referring to the page
itself). I didn't actually download ergoemacs and install it. Keytweak
does the part of AutoHotKey that I'm interested in (substitution in w32
registry). Most of the rest Emacs can do already and I don't want to
introduce gratuitous complexity into an area where my understanding is
already fragile.

On my specific problem, I studied this until I was dizzy and tried
various combo with xmodmap but with no luck:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_get_special_keys_to_work

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-11  4:05         ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-05-11  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

No idea if this works... Still
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LaptopSpecialKeys

[Id be interested to know if it does]

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-11  4:17         ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-05-11  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 10, 7:03 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> > according to Wikipedia, there's a linux version of AutoHotkey but i
> > never tried.
>
> > am guessing you can't remap Fn key by software on arbitary laptop
> > because they are probably hardwired in non-standard ways.
>
> True but xev (x events) shows them redefined and sending state
> information (downkey and upkey). I think those are the only two states
> on any mod key.

> Keytweak
> does the part of AutoHotKey that I'm interested in (substitution in w32
> registry). Most of the rest Emacs can do already and I don't want to
> introduce gratuitous complexity into an area where my understanding is
> already fragile.
>
> On my specific problem, I studied this until I was dizzy and tried
> various combo with xmodmap but with no luck:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_get_special_keys_to_work

Nice. Very technical and detailed. I'll mention it when i get
questions for ThinkPad.
Thanks for the link.

That's quite a site for ThinkPad!

 Xah

* Re: Disabling nxml-mode
@ 2011-05-11 20:24   ` Peter Flynn
From: Peter Flynn @ 2011-05-11 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/05/11 12:23, Xah Lee wrote:
> also, the file suffix
> "\\.[XxRrMmDdTt][TtMmDdSsNnEe][PpAaMmLlFfSsIi]?[EePp]*[Cc]*$"
> seems quite wild. What is it?

Matches .xml and a stack of other related file extensions. Needs pruning :-)

///Peter

* xmodmap ( was:: Disabling nxml-mode)
@ 2011-05-11 20:38           ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-05-11 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rusi wrote:
> No idea if this works... Still
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LaptopSpecialKeys
>
> [Id be interested to know if it does]

Thanks for the link. It's a little over my head but I'll give it a try.

For reference here is my question to Ubuntu forum:

My current much simpler problem is shown in this commented .xmodmaprc
file (same as user home directory version of .Xmodmap in other distros):

    clear Shift
    clear Lock
    clear Control
    clear Mod1
    clear Mod2
    clear Mod3
!   clear Mod4
!   clear Mod5

    add    Shift   = Shift_L    Shift_R
    add    Control = Control_L    Control_R
    add    Mod1    = Mode_switch
    add    Mod2    = Meta_L        Meta_R
  ! add    Mod4    = Hyper_L    Hyper_R  give up on super and hyper
  ! add    Mod5    = Super_L    Super_R  Fn key and windows last and  !
! next  keys produce x event on key release and can't be combined with
! alpha keys, only f1 thru f20 or so

! keycode 66 = Hyper_L  ;; Caps lock. keycode 151 Fn key was an attempt
 ! to assign Super_L to Fn key
  keycode 66 = backslash bar
! keycode 37 = Super_L
keycode 115 = Meta_L
keycode 64 = Control_L
keycode 113 = Control_R
keycode 116 = Meta_R
! keycode 117 = Super_R   ;; windows back
! keycode 109 = Hyper_R   ;; windows ahead (these two keys straddle the
! up arrow on lower right
keycode 51 = Caps_Lock   ;; on backslash bar key (under backspace on
! dvorak layout

With this .xmodmaprc the Ctl and Alt (Meta) keys are where I want them
and caps lock works as backslash bar, but backslash bar doesn't work as
Caps_Lock. Not a big deal but why waste the key, and, more important,
why not understand what's going on?

Ed

* Re: xmodmap (
@ 2011-05-11 22:35             ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2011-05-11 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> rusi wrote:
>> No idea if this works... Still
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LaptopSpecialKeys
>>
>> [Id be interested to know if it does]
>
> Thanks for the link. It's a little over my head but I'll give it a try.

Have you tried using the xev program to see what keycodes and mappings
are being used? Also worth verifying the key sequence is not being
'stolen' by the window manager etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: xmodmap (
@ 2011-05-12  2:20               ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-05-12  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X wrote:
> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> rusi wrote:
>>> No idea if this works... Still
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LaptopSpecialKeys
>>>
>>> [Id be interested to know if it does]
>> Thanks for the link. It's a little over my head but I'll give it a try.
>
> Have you tried using the xev program to see what keycodes and mappings
> are being used? Also worth verifying the key sequence is not being
> 'stolen' by the window manager etc.
>
> Tim

Thanks, Tim. Yes, the xev monitor or whatever it is, is not problematic.
It even shows why keycode 151 (Fn key on Thinkpad 42) can't be used as a
mod key. If Alt or Ctl is held down the state is held as long as it is
held down but the Fn key immediately changes state while held down and
returns that second state to X as the x event (presumably combined with
some other key). What I don't understand is what mod keys should be
associated with mod1, mod2, etc. The problem below is probably that Lock
is cleared and then not added in the second group of lines:

clear Lock
    clear Control
    clear Mod1
    clear Mod2
    clear Mod3
    clear Mod4
    clear Mod5

    add    Shift   = Shift_L    Shift_R
    add    Control = Control_L    Control_R
    add    Mod1    = Mode_switch
    add    Mod2    = Meta_L        Meta_R
    add    Mod4    = Hyper_L    Hyper_R
    add    Mod5    = Super_L    Super_R

I don't think Gnome is messing with these keys but I don't know enough
about it to be sure.

Ed