all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Link between gmane.emacs.help and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2012-02-12 14:24 Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
       [not found] ` <mailman.3772.1329076231.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2012-02-12 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I noticed that everything I post in gmane.emacs.help reach
gnu.emacs.help but the inverse isn't true.  The followups from
gnu.emacs.help to my posts from gmane.emacs.help never appears in the
last.  To make sure that it isn't a gmane issue I verified the
help-gnu-emacs mailing list via web interface and actually the above
happens.  I also searched for some information hopping to discover if
it's the correct behavior.

In GNU Emacs official page
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html) you read in section "Support":

section "About help-gnu-emacs":

--
This list is gatewayed to the gnu.emacs.help newsgroup.
--

To me, none of these seems to clearly answer the question:  Should the
gnu.emacs.help posts show up in the gmane.emacs.help?

If not, it makes things very hard.

Thanks for your attention.
--
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)

Ps: Please, let me know my english errors

* Re: Link between gmane.emacs.help and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2012-02-12 19:50 ` Glenn Morris
       [not found] ` <mailman.3772.1329076231.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-12 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro wrote:

> I noticed that everything I post in gmane.emacs.help reach
> gnu.emacs.help but the inverse isn't true.  The followups from
> gnu.emacs.help to my posts from gmane.emacs.help never appears in the
> last.  To make sure that it isn't a gmane issue I verified the
> help-gnu-emacs mailing list via web interface and actually the above
> happens.

Yes, it's nothing to do with gmane. The gateway between the
gnu.emacs.help newsgroup and the help-gnu-emacs mailing list (aka
gmane.emacs.help) has been broken in one direction for months. I've
reported it twice and had no response. It seems it is hard to make these
gateways work, because it has broken several times over the years.

@ 2012-02-15 20:59   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2012-02-15 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> The gateway between the gnu.emacs.help newsgroup and the
> help-gnu-emacs mailing list (aka gmane.emacs.help) has been broken in
> one direction for months.

Do you know if this does apply to other emacs groups as well?

* Re: Link between gmane.emacs.help and gnu.emacs.help
@ 2012-02-15 21:21     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-02-15 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> The gateway between the gnu.emacs.help newsgroup and the
>> help-gnu-emacs mailing list (aka gmane.emacs.help) has been broken in
>> one direction for months.
>
> Do you know if this does apply to other emacs groups as well?

I haven't checked, but I imagine it affects all GNU mailing lists with
newsgroup gateways. I think the only other Emacs ones are bug-gnu-emacs
and info-gnu-emacs, where no-one should be posting via news anyway, and
gnu-emacs-sources. The latter seems to be missing messages both ways,
actually.