all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* apply multiple faces using propertize
@ 2010-09-04  3:33 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-04  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Could some kind soul give me an example of stacking faces in elisp using
"propertize" please e.g the system display will use the second face if
the first is not defined?

* Re: apply multiple faces using propertize
       [not found] <mailman.19.1283571204.27953.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-09-04  8:40 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-09-04  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Could some kind soul give me an example of stacking faces in elisp using
> "propertize" please e.g the system display will use the second face if
> the first is not defined?

(propertize "foo" 'face '(face1 face2)) ?

* Re: apply multiple faces using propertize
@ 2010-09-04 12:15   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-04 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Could some kind soul give me an example of stacking faces in elisp using
>> "propertize" please e.g the system display will use the second face if
>> the first is not defined?
>
> (propertize "foo" 'face '(face1 face2)) ?
>
>         Stefan

Ah, very good thanks. In my case since the face name is dynamically
generated it was of the form

(propertize str 'face (list (genFace "base") (genFace "base" y))
'gnus-face t) where genFace uses (intern) to convert a string name to
its internal symbol.

thanks a lot.

* Re: apply multiple faces using propertize
@ 2010-09-04 13:22   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-09-04 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Could some kind soul give me an example of stacking faces in elisp using
>> "propertize" please e.g the system display will use the second face if
>> the first is not defined?
>
> (propertize "foo" 'face '(face1 face2)) ?
>
>         Stefan

Hi Stefan

I have been digging around and cant find a way to set an existing face
:inherit property programmatically. Is it possible or only when I
defined the face to start with?

r.