all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* grep and sort
@ 2010-08-15 14:29 Antony
From: Antony @ 2010-08-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I'd like to find and sort all lines that contain 'TODO:'
Sorting needs to be based on content and ignore filename

rgrep works except for the sorting part
The results should be in a grep like buffer so I can click on them

If I can get some basic elisp code for this, that would be nice.
I don't know how to modify the regrep command.

Any pointers?

-Antony
PS:
Reason for sorting
I follow my TODO with a space and two digit number like TOOD: 01 or
TODO: 80 with the numbers representing priority. This has worked very
well as a task management mechanism for me in eclispe and visual studio.

* Re: grep and sort
@ 2010-08-15 14:58 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-08-15 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Antony <spam+lisp_dot_linux@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to find and sort all lines that contain 'TODO:'
> Sorting needs to be based on content and ignore filename
>
> rgrep works except for the sorting part
> The results should be in a grep like buffer so I can click on them
>
> If I can get some basic elisp code for this, that would be nice.
> I don't know how to modify the regrep command.
>

> Any pointers?

grep ... | sort -t : -k 2

--
David Kastrup

* Re: grep and sort
@ 2010-08-16  9:22 ` Antony
       [not found]   ` <i4b4o3$e53$1@speranza.aioe.org>
From: Antony @ 2010-08-16  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 8/15/2010 7:29 AM, Antony wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to find and sort all lines that contain 'TODO:'
> Sorting needs to be based on content and ignore filename
>
> rgrep works except for the sorting part
> The results should be in a grep like buffer so I can click on them
>
> If I can get some basic elisp code for this, that would be nice.
> I don't know how to modify the regrep command.

Let me try rephrasing

I'd like something like

(defun aas-show-todo ()
   (interactive)
   (grep  "-nH -r -i -e 'TODO: ' ~/git/src | sort -t : -k 2"))

then do
M-x aas-show-todo

and have it show me matching lines sorted appropriately in a grep buffer
such that clicking on them takes me to the appropriate file/linenumber

The above code does not work, but hopefully makes my intention more clear

I looked at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/progmodes/grep.el
Couldn't find anything to help.

-Antony

* Re: grep and sort
       [not found]   ` <i4b4o3$e53$1@speranza.aioe.org>
@ 2010-09-05  2:27     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-09-05  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Not as a solution to this problem, but related to using
grep and getting an *Occur* like buffer.

Say I want to do a grep-like operation, but then
further filter it or process it in some way,
and M-x grep doesn't do just what I want.

Add in that I'm doing this on more than one file,
but want to be able to click-then-be-taken-to
in one long file.  Well, like this:

So, I use the grep *program*,

egrep -n -H  regexp   file file file ... > loc.txt

and maybe in that, for easier viewing, I upper-case
some words, like print --> PRINT, etc.

Now, that -H gave me the filenames:

foo.txt:480:Hello there
foo.txt:9010:what are you doing here?
bar.txt:22:yada yada here yada
etc.

That's what's in loc.txt.

THEN, in emacs, I do M-x get
and instead of filling in a regexp or whatever,
I give it this string:   cat loc.txt

Works like a charm!

David