all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* SMTP mail fail
@ 2010-07-22  8:15 Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-07-22  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I *really* want to use Emacs as my mail reader, but problems with SMTP have
prevented me from doing so.  I can get Emacs to send mail via my ISP's SMTP
server, but... well, Emacs says all went well, but I see nothing on the other
end.  I've had this same problem with Cone, so I think it's my ISP's
weirdness.  My ISP has a strange setup: my email address is
aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz, but that's also my username, and their servers are
all on the rurallink.co.nz domain name.  Thunderbird and other graphical
mail-readers use my ISP's SMTP server just fine.

Any ideas anyone?

Here is the SMTP-related contents of my .emacs file...

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; For `mail'
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; For message/Gnus

(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.rurallink.co.nz") ;; Set before
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "no8wireless.co.nz") ;; Also tried with nil and
"rurallink.co.nz"

(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("smtp.rurallink.co.nz" 25 nil nil)))

(setq starttls-use-gnutls t
                     starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
                     starttls-extra-arguments nil)
(require 'smtpmail)

And my .authinfo file...
machine smtp.rurallink.co.nz login aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz password [snip]

Thanks,
Aidan

* Re: SMTP mail fail
@ 2010-07-22  9:10 ` Aidan Gauland
       [not found] ` <mailman.8.1279789831.22722.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-07-22  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aidan Gauland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I *really* want to use Emacs as my mail reader, but problems with SMTP have
> prevented me from doing so.  I can get Emacs to send mail via my ISP's SMTP
> server, but... well, Emacs says all went well, but I see nothing on the other
> end.  I've had this same problem with Cone, so I think it's my ISP's
> weirdness.  My ISP has a strange setup: my email address is
> aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz, but that's also my username, and their servers are
> all on the rurallink.co.nz domain name.  Thunderbird and other graphical
> mail-readers use my ISP's SMTP server just fine.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Here is the SMTP-related contents of my .emacs file...
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; For `mail'
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) ;; For message/Gnus
>
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.rurallink.co.nz") ;; Set before
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)
> (setq smtpmail-local-domain "no8wireless.co.nz") ;; Also tried with nil and
> "rurallink.co.nz"
>
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>       '(("smtp.rurallink.co.nz" 25 nil nil)))
>
> (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
>                      starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
>                      starttls-extra-arguments nil)
> (require 'smtpmail)
>
> And my .authinfo file...
> machine smtp.rurallink.co.nz login aidalgol@no8wireless.co.nz password [snip]
>
> Thanks,
> Aidan

Wait a sec... I just received a mail-delivery-failure message from my (local)
system's daemon.  How the heck do I use a remote SMTP server with Emacs?

* Re: SMTP mail fail
@ 2010-07-22  9:24 ` Alberto Luaces
       [not found] ` <mailman.8.1279789831.22722.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2010-07-22  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aidan Gauland writes:

> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25)

[...]

> (setq starttls-use-gnutls t
>                      starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli"
>                      starttls-extra-arguments nil)

Just a shoot in the dark: is it really the ciphered SMTP port address 25
or do you need gnutls-cli at all? Usually ISPs have other ports for
TLS. Google for example uses 993.

--
Alberto

* Re: SMTP mail fail
@ 2010-07-22 10:57   ` Alberto Luaces
From: Alberto Luaces @ 2010-07-22 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aidan Gauland writes:

> Wait a sec... I just received a mail-delivery-failure message from my (local)
> system's daemon.  How the heck do I use a remote SMTP server with Emacs?

That way... see for example

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "your-user@gmail.com" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      )

and

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

--
Alberto

* Re: SMTP mail fail
@ 2010-07-22 19:30     ` Aidan Gauland
From: Aidan Gauland @ 2010-07-22 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto Luaces wrote:
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
>       smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "your-user@gmail.com" nil))
>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
>       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>       )

I tried that (with my credentials, of course) and it failed with an "SMTP
protocol error" (or something like that.  Here's the debug info.

--Aidan

[-- Attachment #1.2: smtp-trace.gz --]
[-- Type: application/gzip, Size: 356 bytes --]

* Re: SMTP mail fail
       [not found] ` <mailman.8.1279789831.22722.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-25 19:55   ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-07-25 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aidan Gauland wrote:

> Wait a sec... I just received a mail-delivery-failure message from my (local)
> system's daemon.  How the heck do I use a remote SMTP server with Emacs?

Try using the MSMTP utility.  Here is page on it on the EmacsWiki

   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP

Cheers,
Uday Reddy