all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and Virtual Mail
@ 2010-06-24 14:44 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-06-24 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Good morning,

I used to use VM years and years ago, and am attempting to get it going
again.

I've put the following entity in to my .emacs custom-variables

 '(vm-primary-inbox  "pop:pop-server.tampabay.rr.com:110:pass:myusername:mypassword")

But, when I start VM, I get the following error message:

 No such POP folder: pop:pop-server.tampabay.rr.com:110:pass:myusername:mypassword

Anyone able to point me to the correct spot in the docs, or on the net,
where I can find out what I am doing wrong?

I really want to get VM working, so I can try to do everything from
inside of emacs, using VM, gnus, and org-mode.

TIA,

Dave in Largo, FL

* Re: Emacs and Virtual Mail
       [not found] <mailman.1.1277390664.18733.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-06-24 20:30 ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-06-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

J. David Boyd wrote:

> I've put the following entity in to my .emacs custom-variables
>
>  '(vm-primary-inbox  "pop:pop-server.tampabay.rr.com:110:pass:myusername:mypassword")
>
> But, when I start VM, I get the following error message:
>
>  No such POP folder: pop:pop-server.tampabay.rr.com:110:pass:myusername:mypassword
>
> Anyone able to point me to the correct spot in the docs, or on the net,
> where I can find out what I am doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong, but this way accessing POP folders as the
primary-inbox never seems to have been tried, and it isn't working.  Quite
amazing, actually.

The EmacsWiki page

   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ViewMailQuickStart

describes the more common way of accessing POP folders under "Most Important
Variables - POP Server Folders".  Please use that method for now.  I will get
the inbox problem fixed in the next release.

Cheers,
Uday

PS: By the way, VM stands for "View Mail".  And, gnu.emacs.vm.info is the
standard forum for VM discussion.