all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
@ 2013-07-17 19:57 Joe Fineman
       [not found] ` <mailman.1302.1374115629.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Fineman @ 2013-07-17 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using Emacs 22.3 (on Windows XP Professional SP3 with Cygwin)
with an SMTP email connection to a Verizon DSL account successfully
since 2008.  The outgoing SMTP server is outgoing.verizon.net, and the
port number is 25.  In my .emacs file, I have been using the
smtpmail-auth-credentials variable to provide emacs with the SMTP server
name, port number, user name and password of the email account.  This is
a plain (unencrypted) connection, not using SSL/TLS.

The other day, I attempted to ugrade to Emacs 24.3, and all went well
until I tried to send email.  Reading the documentation, I have
discovered that the variable "smtpmail-auth-credentials" is no longer
used, and I have created a ~/.authinfo file containing the required
authentication information.  I have also added variable definition (setq
smtpmail-stream-type nil) though this should presumably not be necessary
for a plain connection.

In all cases (and this is also true for Emacs 24.1, which I have also
tried), any attempt to send an email gives the response

  Sending failed: 500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1
  (Internal authentication error) in response to
  <a very long string of characters>

Can anyone explain how to fix this?  Thanks very much.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Idealism, frustration, demoralization.  :||

* Re: Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
@ 2013-07-18  2:46 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1302.1374115629.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-18  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net>
> Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:57:14 -0400
>
> The other day, I attempted to ugrade to Emacs 24.3, and all went well
> until I tried to send email.  Reading the documentation, I have
> discovered that the variable "smtpmail-auth-credentials" is no longer
> used, and I have created a ~/.authinfo file containing the required
> authentication information.

What do you have in the .authinfo file?  Are you sure it doesn't
contain typos?

> I have also added variable definition (setq smtpmail-stream-type nil)

'plain. not nil.

> Can anyone explain how to fix this?  Thanks very much.

The setup you describe works for me, so it must be some mistake
somewhere.

* Re: Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
       [not found] ` <mailman.1302.1374115629.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-19  0:46   ` fuzzfiend02148
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1483.1374339592.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: fuzzfiend02148 @ 2013-07-19  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:46:29 PM UTC-4, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net>
>
> > Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 15:57:14 -0400
>

> > The other day, I attempted to ugrade to Emacs 24.3, and all went well
>
> > until I tried to send email.  Reading the documentation, I have
>
> > discovered that the variable "smtpmail-auth-credentials" is no longer
>
> > used, and I have created a ~/.authinfo file containing the required
>
> > authentication information.
>

> What do you have in the .authinfo file?  Are you sure it doesn't
>
> contain typos?

machine outgoing.verizon.net port 25 login joe_f password dex5gepe force yes

> > I have also added variable definition (setq smtpmail-stream-type nil)

> 'plain. not nil.

Thank you.

* Re: Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
@ 2013-07-20 16:59     ` Aurélien Aptel
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1483.1374339592.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2013-07-20 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fuzzfiend02148; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:46 AM,  <fuzzfiend02148@gmail.com> wrote:
> machine outgoing.verizon.net port 25 login joe_f password dex5gepe force yes

You've just sent your actual working mail credentials!

* Re: Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
@ 2013-07-20 17:16       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2013-07-20 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:46 AM,  <fuzzfiend02148@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You've just sent your actual working mail credentials!

And you just repeated them ;)

* Re: Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1483.1374339592.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-23 19:14       ` fuzzfiend02148
From: fuzzfiend02148 @ 2013-07-23 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:59:48 PM UTC-4, Aurélien Aptel wrote:

> You've just sent your actual working mail credentials!

Yeah, that was stupid.  None of us is getting any younger.

* Re: Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
@ 2013-07-23 20:15         ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2013-07-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley wrote:
> Aurélien Aptel writes:
> > fuzzfiend02148@gmail.com wrote:
> > You've just sent your actual working mail credentials!
>
> And you just repeated them ;)

But in fuzzfiend02148's defense the genie was already out of the
bottle by that time.  It doesn't matter anymore at that point.

Bob

* Re: Can't do email in Emacs 24.3
@ 2013-07-24 15:13         ` Joe Fineman
From: Joe Fineman @ 2013-07-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

fuzzfiend02148@gmail.com writes:

> On Saturday, July 20, 2013 12:59:48 PM UTC-4, Aurélien Aptel wrote:
>
>> You've just sent your actual working mail credentials!
>
> Yeah, that was stupid.  None of us is getting any younger.

So I changed my password at Verizon, and now, marvelous to say, my
newsgroup access is back!  God looks after fools.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  Most of the things that aren't being done aren't worth  :||
||:  doing.                                                  :||