all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Interrupting shell-command
@ 2005-11-13  2:45 August Karlstrom
From: August Karlstrom @ 2005-11-13  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Does anyone know how to interrupt a command invoked with the function
shell-command?

August

--
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your
signature.  This email was infected under the terms of the GNU

* Re: Interrupting shell-command
@ 2005-11-13  5:03 ` Li Duo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Li Duo @ 2005-11-13  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-c C-c ?

@ 2005-11-13 10:37 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.15065.1131878433.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.15045.1131858197.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-11-13 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.11.2005 um 03:45 schrieb August Karlstrom:

> Does anyone know how to interrupt a command invoked with the function
> shell-command?

When I type ! in dired-mode on a directory and type then 'ls -lR <RET>'
I can stop this recursive listing with C-g.

When I do 'M-x shell-command <RET> ls -lR <RET>' I can stop this too
with C-g.

This won't work when you make the shell command an asynchronous one,
one which ends in & and is executed in the background without
connection to a terminal (tty). This one can only be stopped with 'kill
<pid>.'

--
Greetings

   Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs

@ 2005-11-13 13:42   ` August Karlstrom
From: August Karlstrom @ 2005-11-13 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 13.11.2005 um 03:45 schrieb August Karlstrom:
>> Does anyone know how to interrupt a command invoked with the function
>> shell-command?
> When I do 'M-x shell-command <RET> ls -lR <RET>' I can stop this too
> with C-g.

OK, thanks. For some reason I never tried `C-g', the most obvious
keyboard command in this situation.

August

--

@ 2005-11-13 13:51   ` August Karlstrom
From: August Karlstrom @ 2005-11-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Li Duo wrote:
> C-c C-c ?

`C-c C-c' is undefined by default. As far as I know, keyboard commands
starting with `C-c C-' are (meant to be) mode specific.

August