all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Bjørn Mork" <bmork@dod.no>
Cc: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>, bugs@gnus.org, bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: bad rfc2047 encoding
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:50:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Dave Love <d.love@dl.ac.uk> writes:
> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Bjørn Mork <bmork@dod.no> writes:
>
> [In something that hasn't reached here...]

Sorry about that. I am also reading bugs@gnus.org via the nntp gateway
and forgot to add a Cc-header. BTW, your Cc-header did not look good:

Cc: =?iso-8859-1?q?Bj=F8rn_Mork_<bmork@dod.no>, __bugs@gnus.org,
   __bug-gn?=.=?iso-8859-1?q?u-emacs@gnu.org?=

I guess this is the same problem you demonstrated in a previous
example. Never seen Gnus behave as bad as this before, though...

>> > In this example the quoted-string should probably be unquoted and
>> > then encoded. Or would that break something?
>>
>> It could perhaps encode the quotes too.
>
> The spirit of the RFC and examples seem to suggest unquoting the
> string, encoding it, and (perhaps) re-quoting encoded word sequences
> on decoding.  Is the correct behaviour really not explicitly specified
> somewhere?

I am no expert on this, but trying to read RFC2822 and RFC2047 makes
me think that Simon is right. A 'quoted-string' is a 'word', and may
as such be replaced by an 'encoded-word'. The DQUOTE is part of the
'quoted-string' and should therefore be encoded with it.

So the proper way to encode

  From: "Bjørn Mork" <bmork@dod.no>

would be

  From: =?iso-8859-1?q?=22Bj=F8rn_Mork=22?= <bmork@dod.no>

I guess. An example of proper handling of a 'quoted-string' in RFC2047
would have been nice. But as far as I can see, this is the only way
you can do compliant encoding without losing any information.

Bjørn