all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to setup w3m-el as a default browser on GNU system?
@ 2010-06-17 13:56 Paul Chany
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-17 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze operating system.

This is an old PC Box with AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor and 60 MB RAM.

I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of
2009-11-02 on raven, modified by Debian.

This system is very slow so I want to use Emacs-w3m as a system default
browser. Is this possible and if yes, how can I setup this?

I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards,
Paul Chany

* Re: How to setup w3m-el as a default browser on GNU system?
@ 2010-06-17 14:07 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1.1276792958.21170.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-06-17 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze operating system.
>
> This is an old PC Box with AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor and 60 MB RAM.
>
> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of
> 2009-11-02 on raven, modified by Debian.
>
> This system is very slow so I want to use Emacs-w3m as a system default
> browser. Is this possible and if yes, how can I setup this?
>
> I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
> file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
> default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
> Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!
See related things to w3m in files .emacs.el and w3m-config.el here:
http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/emacs-utils
Hope that help.

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: How to setup w3m-el as a default browser on GNU system?
@ 2010-06-17 16:42   ` Paul Chany
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1.1276792958.21170.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-17 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
>> I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
>> file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
>> default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
>> Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?

> See related things to w3m in files .emacs.el and w3m-config.el here:
> http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/emacs-utils
> Hope that help.

Unfortunately I can't find there the solution for my problem, sorry.

--

@ 2010-06-17 17:07 ` Pedro Insua
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7.1276808235.21170.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pedro Insua @ 2010-06-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 03:56:38PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze operating system.
>
> This is an old PC Box with AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor and 60 MB RAM.
>
> I'm using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of
> 2009-11-02 on raven, modified by Debian.
>
> This system is very slow so I want to use Emacs-w3m as a system default
> browser. Is this possible and if yes, how can I setup this?
>
> I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
> file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
> default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
> Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?

 Take a look at:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl

 Or put in your .emacs file something like:

   '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m))

> Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Porqué loitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

/"\
\ /  CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
 X   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/ \

* Re: How to setup w3m-el as a default browser on GNU system?
@ 2010-06-17 20:56   ` Paul Chany
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7.1276808235.21170.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-17 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 03:56:38PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>> I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
>> file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
>> default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
>> Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?
>
>  Take a look at:
>
>    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl

Thanks! I follow advices red here and setup variables:
‘browse-url-browser-function’
‘browse-url-generic-program’

>  Or put in your .emacs file something like:
>
>    '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m))

I have now in my .emacs file:
 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m-browse-url))
 '(browse-url-generic-program "w3m-browse-url")

and still when I C-c C-o on a file://path/some.html link, an xterm
appeare and on it w3m with the opened file! :(

What am I missing here?

--

@ 2010-06-17 21:28     ` Pedro Insua
From: Pedro Insua @ 2010-06-17 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:56:57PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 03:56:38PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> >> I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
> >> file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
> >> default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
> >> Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?
> >
> >  Take a look at:
> >
> >    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl
>
> Thanks! I follow advices red here and setup variables:
> ‘browse-url-browser-function’
> ‘browse-url-generic-program’
>
> >  Or put in your .emacs file something like:
> >
> >    '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m))
>
> I have now in my .emacs file:
>  '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m-browse-url))
>  '(browse-url-generic-program "w3m-browse-url")
>
> and still when I C-c C-o on a file://path/some.html link, an xterm
> appeare and on it w3m with the opened file! :(
>
> What am I missing here?

 mmm,  I'm Debian user too.. do you have w3m-el package installed?

 I've have some problems with jde and w3m to see Java classes
 documentation, but with org-mode with the above '.emacs' lines none.

--

@ 2010-06-17 21:34       ` Paul Chany
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-17 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:56:57PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

>> >    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl
>>
>> Thanks! I follow advices red here and setup variables:
>> ‘browse-url-browser-function’
>> ‘browse-url-generic-program’
>>
>> I have now in my .emacs file:
>>  '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m-browse-url))
>>  '(browse-url-generic-program "w3m-browse-url")
>>
>> and still when I C-c C-o on a file://path/some.html link, an xterm
>> appeare and on it w3m with the opened file! :(
>>
>> What am I missing here?
>
>  mmm,  I'm Debian user too.. do you have w3m-el package installed?

Yes, and I can open from an org file a http://path/some.html within
Emacs with w3m-el, but can't open a file file://path/some.html in the
same way because in the letter case I get opened xterm and on it w3m
instead to get the file opened within Emacs with w3m-el. :(

--

@ 2010-06-17 22:12     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-06-17 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
>>> file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
>>> default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
>>> Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?
>
>> See related things to w3m in files .emacs.el and w3m-config.el here:
>> http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/emacs-utils
>> Hope that help.
>
> Unfortunately I can't find there the solution for my problem, sorry.

What I have is

 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m-browse-url))

in my custom section. i.e. M-x customize-variable
browse-util-browser-function

This will make the browse-url package use w3m to browse urls.

Another post showed how to set org mode to use w3m for browsing org mode
file links that are html files

I also have the following additional customizations

(defun w3m-browse-url-other-window (url &optional arg)
  "Browse URL with w3m, use other window."
  (interactive
   (browse-url-interactive-arg "w3m URL: "))
  (when (stringp url)
    (let ((buffer (get-buffer "*w3m*")))
      (switch-to-buffer-other-window (if buffer buffer (current-buffer)))
      (w3m-goto-url url))))

(global-set-key "\C-c\C-z." 'browse-url-at-point)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zb" 'browse-url-of-buffer)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zr" 'browse-url-of-region)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zu" 'browse-url)
(global-set-key "\C-c\C-zv" 'browse-url-of-file)

(add-hook 'dired-mode-hook
		  (lambda ()
			(local-set-key "\C-c\C-zf" 'browse-url-of-dired-file)))

Note that if your using emacs23 and your on debian, you need the
w3m-el-snapshot package rather than just the w3m-el package as the last
'released' version of w3m-el does nto work with emacw23.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2010-06-17 22:15     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-06-17 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 03:56:38PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>>> I need this setup because when in org-mode and want follow a link to a
>>> file://path/some.html then an xterm being started and on it w3m as a
>>> default browser. I try to setup Emacs and org-mode to open this file in
>>> Emacs buffer in w3m-el but without any success. What am I missing here?
>>
>>  Take a look at:
>>
>>    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl
>
> Thanks! I follow advices red here and setup variables:
> ‘browse-url-browser-function’
> ‘browse-url-generic-program’
>
>>  Or put in your .emacs file something like:
>>
>>    '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m))
>
> I have now in my .emacs file:
>  '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m-browse-url))
>  '(browse-url-generic-program "w3m-browse-url")
>
> and still when I C-c C-o on a file://path/some.html link, an xterm
> appeare and on it w3m with the opened file! :(
>
> What am I missing here?

There are two ways to use w3m. One way is to have it run stand-alone
inside an xterm and the other is to have it run inside emacs via the
w3m-el package. You currently have the customizeation for running w3m
stand-alone inside an xterm.

1. Make sure you have the w3m-el-snapshot package installed.
2. Use customize-variable to set browse-url-browser-function to
w3m-browse-url

Tim

--

@ 2010-06-17 22:18         ` Pedro Insua
From: Pedro Insua @ 2010-06-17 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:34:42PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Thanks! I follow advices red here and setup variables:
> >> ‘browse-url-browser-function’
> >> ‘browse-url-generic-program’
> >>
> >> I have now in my .emacs file:
> >>  '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m-browse-url))
> >>  '(browse-url-generic-program "w3m-browse-url")
> >>
> >> and still when I C-c C-o on a file://path/some.html link, an xterm
> >> appeare and on it w3m with the opened file! :(
> >>
> >> What am I missing here?
> >
> >  mmm,  I'm Debian user too.. do you have w3m-el package installed?
>
> Yes, and I can open from an org file a http://path/some.html within
> Emacs with w3m-el, but can't open a file file://path/some.html in the
> same way because in the letter case I get opened xterm and on it w3m
> instead to get the file opened within Emacs with w3m-el. :(

  Well.. the 'trick' is in configure: org-file-apps

--

@ 2010-06-17 22:35           ` Paul Chany
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-17 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:34:42PM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

>> >  mmm,  I'm Debian user too.. do you have w3m-el package installed?
>>
>> Yes, and I can open from an org file a http://path/some.html within
>> Emacs with w3m-el, but can't open a file file://path/some.html in the
>> same way because in the letter case I get opened xterm and on it w3m
>> instead to get the file opened within Emacs with w3m-el. :(
>>
>   Well.. the 'trick' is in configure: org-file-apps

I was tried to configure it already but without any success.
I have now in my .emacs file:
 '(org-file-apps (quote ((auto-mode . emacs) ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
 ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))))

so the default browser is: w3m (not Emacs-w3m).
In the org-file-apps customization buffer there is a Value Menu for
Exstension: \.x?html?\'. In this menu there are the options:
0 = Visit with Emacs
1 = Use default
2 = Use the system command
3 = Command
4 = Lisp form

When choosed 0 the link file://path/some.html was opened within Emacs
buffer for editing and not for viewing.
When choosed 1 the abowe mentioned link was opened in an xterm with w3m.
Options 2 and 3 was tried by me but without any success. Say I was tried
as Command 'w3m-browse-url' but get the same as with option 1.
In the case of option 4 I dont' know how could I configure Emacs to use
Emacs-w3m to open such a link.

Any advices?

--

@ 2010-06-18  8:46             ` Štěpán Němec
From: Štěpán Němec @ 2010-06-18  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Chany; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
> Any advices?

Well, the `org-file-apps' documentation is probably not the most
readable, but it's all there nonetheless:

Possible values for the command are:

[...]

 sexp          A Lisp form which will be evaluated.  The file path will
               be available in the Lisp variable `file'.

I.e., something like ("\\.x?html?\\'" . (browse-url file)) will do what
you want.

HTH,

  Štěpán

* Re: How to setup w3m-el as a default browser on GNU system?
@ 2010-06-18  8:52             ` Pedro Insua
From: Pedro Insua @ 2010-06-18  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:35:42AM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Yes, and I can open from an org file a http://path/some.html within
> >> Emacs with w3m-el, but can't open a file file://path/some.html in the
> >> same way because in the letter case I get opened xterm and on it w3m
> >> instead to get the file opened within Emacs with w3m-el. :(
> >>
> >   Well.. the 'trick' is in configure: org-file-apps
>
> I was tried to configure it already but without any success.
> I have now in my .emacs file:
>  '(org-file-apps (quote ((auto-mode . emacs) ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
>  ("\\.pdf\\'" . default))))
>
> so the default browser is: w3m (not Emacs-w3m).
> In the org-file-apps customization buffer there is a Value Menu for
> Exstension: \.x?html?\'. In this menu there are the options:
> 0 = Visit with Emacs
> 1 = Use default
> 2 = Use the system command
> 3 = Command
> 4 = Lisp form
>
> When choosed 0 the link file://path/some.html was opened within Emacs
> buffer for editing and not for viewing.
> When choosed 1 the abowe mentioned link was opened in an xterm with w3m.
> Options 2 and 3 was tried by me but without any success. Say I was tried
> as Command 'w3m-browse-url' but get the same as with option 1.
> In the case of option 4 I dont' know how could I configure Emacs to use
> Emacs-w3m to open such a link.
>
> Any advices?

  Hi again! I think i've get the solution!! xD

  Well, the first, set w3m as default browser of Emacs:

     '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m))

  Then, set org-file-apps to use the default browser:

      (add-to-list 'org-file-apps '("\\.x?html?\\'" browse-url file))

  This work for me... bye!

--

@ 2010-06-18 10:27               ` Paul Chany
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-18 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Štěpán,

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
>> Any advices?
>
> Well, the `org-file-apps' documentation is probably not the most
> readable, but it's all there nonetheless:
>
> Possible values for the command are:
>
> [...]
>
>  sexp          A Lisp form which will be evaluated.  The file path
>                will be available in the Lisp variable `file'.
>

> I.e., something like ("\\.x?html?\\'" . (browse-url file)) will do
> what you want.

Thanks! Now I have:
 '(org-file-apps
   (quote (
	   (auto-mode . emacs)
	   ("\\.x?html?\\'" . (browse-url file))
	   ("\\.pdf\\'" . default)
	  )
   )
  )

and it works!

However I'm interested in that that where can one find Manual for Emacs
Lisp so her/he can study the Lisp forms?

--

@ 2010-06-18 10:37               ` Paul Chany
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-18 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:35:42AM +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>> Pedro Insua <pedroinsua@gmail.com> writes:

>> >   Well.. the 'trick' is in configure: org-file-apps
>>
>> I was tried to configure it already but without any success.
>> I have now in my .emacs file:
>>  '(org-file-apps
>>    (quote
>>     (
>>      (auto-mode . emacs)
>>      ("\\.x?html?\\'" . default)
>>      ("\\.pdf\\'" . default)
>>     )
>>    )
>>   )
>>
>> so the default browser is: w3m (not Emacs-w3m).
>> In the org-file-apps customization buffer there is a Value Menu for
>> Exstension: \.x?html?\'. In this menu there are the options:
>> 0 = Visit with Emacs
>> 1 = Use default
>> 2 = Use the system command
>> 3 = Command
>> 4 = Lisp form
>>
>> When choosed 0 the link file://path/some.html was opened within Emacs
>> buffer for editing and not for viewing.
>> When choosed 1 the abowe mentioned link was opened in an xterm with
>> w3m.
>> Options 2 and 3 was tried by me but without any success. Say I was
>> tried as Command 'w3m-browse-url' but get the same as with option 1.
>> In the case of option 4 I dont' know how could I configure Emacs to
>> use Emacs-w3m to open such a link.
>>
>> Any advices?
>
>   Hi again! I think i've get the solution!! :D
>
>   Well, the first, set w3m as default browser of Emacs:
>
>      '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m))
>
>   Then, set org-file-apps to use the default browser:
>
>       (add-to-list 'org-file-apps '("\\.x?html?\\'" browse-url file))
>

>   This work for me... bye!

I have the following setup that works for me:

 '(browse-url-browser-function (quote w3m-browse-url))
 '(browse-url-generic-program nil)
 '(browse-url-new-window-flag t)

 '(org-file-apps
   (quote (
	   (auto-mode . emacs)
	   ("\\.x?html?\\'" . (browse-url file))
	   ("\\.pdf\\'" . default)
	  )
   )
  )

Thank you all for support!! :D

--

@ 2010-06-18 12:08                 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-06-18 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paul Chany', help-gnu-emacs

> where can one find Manual for Emacs Lisp so her/he
> can study the Lisp forms?

C-h i

Choose `Elisp'.

* How to get Elisp info documentation on Debian Squeeze?
@ 2010-06-18 15:34                   ` Paul Chany
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> where can one find Manual for Emacs Lisp so her/he
>> can study the Lisp forms?
>
> C-h i
>
> Choose `Elisp'.

Here on my Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze system I'm using
GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of 2009-11-02
on raven, modified by Debian

When do
C-h i
C-s elisp

I can't find Elisp.
Which package to install with aptitude to get Elips info documentation
on Squeeze?

--
Regards,
Paul Chany
You can freely correct my English.
http://csanyi-pal.info

* RE: How to get Elisp info documentation on Debian Squeeze?
@ 2010-06-18 15:40                     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.3.1276875632.15308.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-06-18 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paul Chany', help-gnu-emacs

> When do
> C-h i
> C-s elisp
>
> I can't find Elisp.
> Which package to install with aptitude to get Elips info documentation
> on Squeeze?

Dunno.  Emacs should *always* come with the Emacs manual and the Elisp manual,
at a minimum.  Anything other than that is perverse.  They are as much a part of
Emacs itself as is `C-h'.

Maybe someone else here can help you. If not, try contacting Debian help.
Googling indicates this might help: http://www.debianhelp.org/.

* Re: How to get Elisp info documentation on Debian Squeeze?
@ 2010-06-18 15:40                     ` Richard Riley
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.3.1276875632.15308.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-06-18 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> where can one find Manual for Emacs Lisp so her/he
>>> can study the Lisp forms?
>>
>> C-h i
>>
>> Choose `Elisp'.
>
> Here on my Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze system I'm using
> GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of 2009-11-02
> on raven, modified by Debian
>
> When do
> C-h i
> C-s elisp
>
> I can't find Elisp.
> Which package to install with aptitude to get Elips info documentation
> on Squeeze?

here is some info.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForDebian

"Debian emacs documentation is (as of 2008-08-18) in package
`emacs22-common-non-dfsg` if C-h i isn’t working for you"

==>

emacs23-common-non-dfsg

hth

* Re: How to get Elisp info documentation on Debian Squeeze?
@ 2010-06-18 16:23                       ` Paul Chany
From: Paul Chany @ 2010-06-18 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Chany <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,

>>> C-h i
>>>
>>> Choose `Elisp'.
>>
>> Here on my Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze system I'm using
>> GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2) of 2009-11-02
>> on raven, modified by Debian
>>
>> When do
>> C-h i
>> C-s elisp
>>
>> I can't find Elisp.
>> Which package to install with aptitude to get Elips info documentation
>> on Squeeze?
>
> here is some info.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForDebian
>
> "Debian emacs documentation is (as of 2008-08-18) in package
> `emacs22-common-non-dfsg` if C-h i isn’t working for you"
>
> ==>
>
> emacs23-common-non-dfsg

Ah it is in the non-free section!

--

@ 2010-06-18 23:49                       ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-06-18 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> When do
>> C-h i
>> C-s elisp
>>
>> I can't find Elisp.
>> Which package to install with aptitude to get Elips info documentation
>> on Squeeze?
>
> Dunno.  Emacs should *always* come with the Emacs manual and the Elisp manual,
> at a minimum.  Anything other than that is perverse.  They are as much a part of
> Emacs itself as is `C-h'.
>
> Maybe someone else here can help you. If not, try contacting Debian help.
> Googling indicates this might help: http://www.debianhelp.org/.

At one time, the GNU Emacs manual and the elisp manual were, under
Debian, in separate packages because there was something in the
documentation which did not meet the Debian licensing requirements
(can't remember the exact details). They therefore packages the manuals
under the 'non-free' section. However, I'm pretty sure this changed with
emacs 23, so they should now be installed if your using the debian
packages for emacs 23.

Instead of C-s elisp when inside the info system, at the top level
'dir', try m elisp. It should be there. If not, check the package
manager for 'elisp'. I'm pretty certain it is now part of the emacs23
package, but if not, it is definitely packaged under Debian.  Maybe also
look in the /usr/share/info directory - just do a ls | grep elisp as it
is possible that your DIR file has somehow been corrupted and not
updated correctly. Provided it is in that directory, you can get it
using the goto node command (i.e. g (elisp)Top).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au