all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to kill all colors in all modes in emacs?
@ 2007-09-14 11:16 hvaisane
From: hvaisane @ 2007-09-14 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I kill all colors in all modes so that the text is always
black and the background is always white?

No syntax highlighting in different modes etc.

* How to kill all colors in all modes in emacs?
@ 2007-09-14 12:20 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2007-09-14 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hvaisane; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

h> How can I kill all colors in all modes so that the text is always
h> black and the background is always white?

h> No syntax highlighting in different modes etc.

Hello!

Putting (global-font-lock-mode nil) in your .emacs file should do what
you need.
--
 /\           ___
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____

* Re: How to kill all colors in all modes in emacs?
@ 2007-09-14 12:41   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-09-14 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:20:57 +0200 GianUberto.Lauri@eng.it (Gian Uberto Lauri) wrote:

> h> How can I kill all colors in all modes so that the text is always
> h> black and the background is always white?
>
> h> No syntax highlighting in different modes etc.
>
> Hello!
>
> Putting (global-font-lock-mode nil) in your .emacs file should do what
> you need.

This doesn't eliminate all faces, e.g., Customize and Gnus buffers are
still fontified.  To completely eliminate defined faces do:

M-: (mapc #'face-spec-reset-face (face-list))

But this only works for loaded libraries, so you have to invoke it
after loading e.g. Customize, Gnus, etc.

Steve Berman

* Re: How to kill all colors in all modes in emacs?
@ 2007-09-14 13:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.866.1189776535.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-14 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: hvaisane@cc.joensuu.fi
> Date: 14 Sep 07 11:16:13 GMT
>
> How can I kill all colors in all modes so that the text is always
> black and the background is always white?
>
> No syntax highlighting in different modes etc.

"No syntax highlighting" or "kill all colors in all modes"?  These are
tow different things.

For the former, turn off font-lock.  For the latter, I think the only
practical way is to tell Emacs your display is monochrome or
grayscale.

@ 2007-09-17  4:53   ` hvaisane
From: hvaisane @ 2007-09-17  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>"No syntax highlighting" or "kill all colors in all modes"?

Both.

>For the latter, I think the only
>practical way is to tell Emacs your display is monochrome or
>grayscale.

How do I do that?

* Re: How to kill all colors in all modes in emacs?
@ 2007-09-17 20:14     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-17 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: hvaisane@cc.joensuu.fi
> Date: 17 Sep 07 04:53:28 GMT
>
> >For the latter, I think the only
> >practical way is to tell Emacs your display is monochrome or
> >grayscale.
>
> How do I do that?

On X, try setting the visualClass X resource to something like
"GrayScale-1" (untested).

* Re: How to kill all colors in all modes in emacs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.866.1189776535.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-18  1:00 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-18  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hvaisane; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   How can I kill all colors in all modes so that the text is always
   black and the background is always white?

   No syntax highlighting in different modes etc.

AFAIK, you just have to disable font-lock-mode.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org