all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* favorite elisp intro for experienced programmers?
@ 2010-06-14 23:11 Brendan Miller
From: Brendan Miller @ 2010-06-14 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?

* Re: favorite elisp intro for experienced programmers?
       [not found] <mailman.5.1276557118.30265.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-06-15  4:06 ` John Bokma
From: John Bokma @ 2010-06-15  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net> writes:

> What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?

I have a copy of 'An Introduction to Emacs Lisp, 3rd Edition'. I have
read the first chapters and like it so far.

Read it online:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_node/index.html

No idea why that page mentions "for people who are not
programmers". Maybe "for people who have no experience with Lisp" might
have been a better description?

Also:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/html_node/index.html

I hope a (new) edition will be printed soon :-).

No idea if the latter is more suitable for you. Also, haven't
read/studied that one yet.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/

* Re: favorite elisp intro for experienced programmers?
@ 2010-06-15  6:39 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-06-15  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brendan Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/6/15 Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net>:
> What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?

I personally like this one:

http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs-lisp-intro/emacs-lisp-intro_toc.html

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: favorite elisp intro for experienced programmers?
@ 2010-06-15 11:47   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-06-15 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/15 Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net>:
>> What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?
>>

> I personally like this one:
>
> http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs-lisp-intro/emacs-lisp-intro_toc.html

Agreed.

`C-h i m ELisp Intro RET`

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: favorite elisp intro for experienced programmers?
@ 2010-06-15 11:48 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2010-06-15 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brendan Miller said the following on 15/06/10 09:11:
> What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?

there's nothing wrong with
   C-h i m Emacs lisp intro RET
or
   C-h i m Elisp RET

you'll find more pointers if you type elisp in the list archive search
engine
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/
e.g.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LearnEmacsLisp

* Re: favorite elisp intro for experienced programmers?
@ 2010-06-15 13:04   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-06-15 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> writes:

> Brendan Miller said the following on 15/06/10 09:11:
>> What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?
>>

> there's nothing wrong with
>    C-h i m Emacs lisp intro RET
> or
>    C-h i m Elisp RET
>
> you'll find more pointers if you type elisp in the list archive search
> engine
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/
> e.g.
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LearnEmacsLisp

I like Xah Lee's introduction if you already know other languages and
are looking for a quick grounding to get something done without wading
through the elisp docs.

http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp.html

@ 2010-06-16  8:17 ` Marc Mientki
From: Marc Mientki @ 2010-06-16  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.06.2010 01:11, schrieb Brendan Miller:
> What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?

I have read "Writing GNU Emacs Extensions" by Bob Glickstein
and I read again and again "GNU Emacs Lisp Reference
Manual". (I have 25 years programmer background in "classic"
languages and 10+ in Mathematica*).

regards
Marc

*) Mathematica copy very much ideas from Lisp.

* Re: favorite elisp intro for experienced programmers?
@ 2010-06-21  1:46 ` Jason White
From: Jason White @ 2010-06-21  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net> writes:

> What are people's favorite elisp tutorials, books, etc?

I'm not an experienced programmer, but not a beginner either. I have
been learning ELisp and Common Lisp together. Although there are
differences between the two languages which are sometimes quite
fundamental, similarities abound (especially if you load the cl library
in ELisp).

In particular I would recommend Practical Common Lisp,
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
which of the several Lisp books in my possession offers the greatest
depth of coverage other than reference works such as Common Lisp, The
Language (2nd ed.) and the Common Lisp HyperSpec, both of which I would
recommend highly to anyone thinking of exploring Common Lisp.