all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Open many buffers
@ 2010-06-08 21:11 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-06-08 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I don't see in the emacs functions anything like
"visit-all-the-buffers-matching-this-regexp".

It would be useful sometimes, now I use something like this in the git
projects

(defun open-git-files ()
  "Visit all the files in the current git project"
  (interactive)
  (dolist
      (file (split-string (shell-command-to-string "git ls-files")))
    (message "Opening %s" file)
    (find-file file)))

But it opens too much often.

Something that
- ask for a regexp
- visit all the buffers
- automatically set up a guessed best way to place them on the frame (or
  maybe creates a new elscreen for each one for example)

Is there anything like this somewhere?

* RE: Open many buffers
@ 2010-06-08 21:57 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-06-08 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Andrea Crotti', help-gnu-emacs

> I don't see in the emacs functions anything like
> "visit-all-the-buffers-matching-this-regexp".
> Is there anything like this somewhere?

Here are two possibilities:

1. Ibuffer: `% n rgx RET v'  where rgx is your regexp.

`% n' marks regexp matches.  `v' visits.

2. Icicles: `C-x b rgx  S-TAB  C-!'  where rgx is your regexp.

`S-TAB' regexp-completes.
`C-!' acts on each of the completion candidates.

The action in this case is `C-x b': visit a buffer.

* Re: Open many buffers
@ 2010-06-09  3:54 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-06-09  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I don't see in the emacs functions anything like
> "visit-all-the-buffers-matching-this-regexp".
>
> It would be useful sometimes, now I use something like this in the git
> projects

> (defun open-git-files ()
>   "Visit all the files in the current git project"
>   (interactive)
>   (dolist
>       (file (split-string (shell-command-to-string "git ls-files")))
>     (message "Opening %s" file)
>     (find-file file)))
>
> But it opens too much often.
>
> Something that
> - ask for a regexp
> - visit all the buffers
> - automatically set up a guessed best way to place them on the frame (or
>   maybe creates a new elscreen for each one for example)
>
> Is there anything like this somewhere?

Not a regexp, but wildcard patterns:

C-x C-f *.c RET

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Open many buffers
@ 2010-06-09 13:49   ` Joel James Adamson
From: Joel James Adamson @ 2010-06-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, 'Andrea Crotti'

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 02:57:37PM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
> > I don't see in the emacs functions anything like
> > "visit-all-the-buffers-matching-this-regexp".
> > Is there anything like this somewhere?
>
> Here are two possibilities:
>
> 1. Ibuffer: `% n rgx RET v'  where rgx is your regexp.
>
> `% n' marks regexp matches.  `v' visits.
>
> 2. Icicles: `C-x b rgx  S-TAB  C-!'  where rgx is your regexp.
>
> `S-TAB' regexp-completes.
> `C-!' acts on each of the completion candidates.
>
> The action in this case is `C-x b': visit a buffer.

Here's a third possibility: using Dired, mark according to a regexp

% m regexp RET

then open (find) those marked files using `F'.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Servedio Lab

FSF Member #8164
http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* RE: Open many buffers
@ 2010-06-09 14:40     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-06-09 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Joel James Adamson'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, 'Andrea Crotti'

> > > I don't see in the emacs functions anything like
> > > "visit-all-the-buffers-matching-this-regexp".
> > > Is there anything like this somewhere?
> >
> > Here are two possibilities:
> > 1. Ibuffer: `% n rgx RET v'  where rgx is your regexp.
> > `% n' marks regexp matches.  `v' visits.
> > 2. Icicles: `C-x b rgx  S-TAB  C-!'  where rgx is your regexp.
> > `S-TAB' regexp-completes.
> > `C-!' acts on each of the completion candidates.
> > The action in this case is `C-x b': visit a buffer.
>
> Here's a third possibility: using Dired, mark according to a regexp
> % m regexp RET then open (find) those marked files using `F'.

That works only for files, not buffers unassociated with a file.

That's why I mentioned Ibuffer (though I don't use Ibuffer myself).
It is similar to the Dired approach, but for buffers, not files.