all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [winxp]smtp: connection refused
@ 2010-05-31 17:37 Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-05-31 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

can someone help me with this ? I am not able to use smtp on a winxp
machine at work. I get this error :

--
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "make client process failed"
"connection refused" :name "SMTP" :buffer #<buffer *trace of SMTP

make-network-process(:name "SMTP" :buffer #<buffer *trace of SMTP
session to mail.fh-trier.de*> :host "mail.fh-trier.de" :service 25)
--

I have no problems connecting to the server via telnet.exe on the same
machine.

-ap

* Re: [winxp]smtp: connection refused
@ 2010-05-31 23:40 ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-05-31 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5/31/2010 6:37 PM, Andreas Politz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can someone help me with this ? I am not able to use smtp on a winxp
> machine at work. I get this error :
>
> --
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "make client process failed"
> "connection refused" :name "SMTP" :buffer #<buffer *trace of SMTP
> session to mail.fh-trier.de*>  :host "mail.fh-trier.de" :service 25)

"connection refused" is the message Emacs is getting from the process.  What does the *trace of SMTP...* buffer show?  Check to see if there is a firewall blocking the connection.

If nothing works, you might try msmtp, which is often reported to be more reliable than the Emacs smptmail package.

Cheers,
Uday