all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* highlight select whole word when in the middle shortcut
@ 2010-04-05  7:09 mouezapeter
From: mouezapeter @ 2010-04-05  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
If I am in the middle of the word "deduction", is there a shortcut to
highlight,select the hole word ?

* Re: highlight select whole word when in the middle shortcut
@ 2010-04-05 13:40 ` Colin S. Miller
       [not found]   ` <mailman.37.1273206036.9285.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2010-04-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

mouezapeter wrote:
> Hi,
> If I am in the middle of the word "deduction", is there a shortcut to
> highlight,select the hole word ?

Hi,
If you are using a GUI, then double-click on the word to select it.
Otherwise, add this to your .emacs, restart, and then press C-x w

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

(defun select-word-at-point ()
     (interactive)
     (let ((p (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word)))
       (set-mark (car p))
       (exchange-point-and-mark)
       (set-mark (cdr p))
       ))

(global-set-key '[(control x) (w)] 'select-word-at-point)

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: highlight select whole word when in the middle shortcut
@ 2010-05-07  4:20   ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.37.1273206036.9285.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-05-07  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Colin S. Miller wrote:
> mouezapeter wrote:
>> Hi,
>> If I am in the middle of the word "deduction", is there a shortcut to
>> highlight,select the hole word ?
>
> Hi,
> If you are using a GUI, then double-click on the word to select it.
> Otherwise, add this to your .emacs, restart, and then press C-x w
>
> HTH,
> Colin S. Miller
>
> (defun select-word-at-point ()
>     (interactive)
>     (let ((p (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word)))
>       (set-mark (car p))
>       (exchange-point-and-mark)
>       (set-mark (cdr p))
>       ))
>
> (global-set-key '[(control x) (w)] 'select-word-at-point)

M-x mark-word

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2010-05-12  7:02     ` Robert Knighten
From: Robert Knighten @ 2010-05-12  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> Colin S. Miller wrote:
>> mouezapeter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> If I am in the middle of the word "deduction", is there a shortcut to
>>> highlight,select the hole word ?
>>
>> Hi,
>> If you are using a GUI, then double-click on the word to select it.
>> Otherwise, add this to your .emacs, restart, and then press C-x w
>>
>> HTH,
>> Colin S. Miller
>>
>> (defun select-word-at-point ()
>>     (interactive)
>>     (let ((p (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word)))
>>       (set-mark (car p))
>>       (exchange-point-and-mark)
>>       (set-mark (cdr p))
>>       ))
>>
>> (global-set-key '[(control x) (w)] 'select-word-at-point)
>
> M-x mark-word

That just marks to the end of the word.

--
Robert L. Knighten
RLK@knighten.org

* Re: highlight select whole word when in the middle shortcut
@ 2010-05-12 11:32       ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2010-05-12 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 12, 3:02 am, Robert Knighten <R...@knighten.org> wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Colin S. Miller wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >> If you are using a GUI, then double-click on the word to select it.
> >> Otherwise, add this to your .emacs, restart, and then press C-x w
>
> >> HTH,
> >> Colin S. Miller
>
> >> (defun select-word-at-point ()
> >>     (interactive)
> >>     (let ((p (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word)))
> >>       (set-mark (car p))
> >>       (exchange-point-and-mark)
> >>       (set-mark (cdr p))
> >>       ))
>
> >> (global-set-key '[(control x) (w)] 'select-word-at-point)
>
> > M-x mark-word
>
> That just marks to the end of the word.
>
> --
> Robert L. Knighten