all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
@ 2010-03-27 22:43 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-03-27 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was surprised today when I did a M-x pwd on *Occur*, and
it said my home directory, whereas the file I was doing
the M-x occur on was in a *different* directory.

I don't recall this behavior from the past -- or maybe I'm
just doing something wrong?

FYI:

    NTEMACS: [ GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD ]

Thanks!

David

* Re: shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
@ 2010-04-12  5:24 ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-04-12  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <hom1m8$lt4$1@panix3.panix.com>,
David Combs <dkcombs@panix.com> wrote:
>I was surprised today when I did a M-x pwd on *Occur*, and
>it said my home directory, whereas the file I was doing
>the M-x occur on was in a *different* directory.
>
>I don't recall this behavior from the past -- or maybe I'm
>just doing something wrong?
>
>FYI:
>
>    NTEMACS: [ GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD ]
>
>Thanks!
>
>David

No replies?

If Occur was changed so that *Occur* would "be" in
the *same* directory as what Occur was searching
through?

So that if you saw something interesting in *Occur*,
you could say C-x d and end up in the most likely
directory you'd WANT to end up in?  (Assuming the buffer
being searched by Occur had a file attached to it,
that is...)

It just seems weird, the way it works now.

@ 2010-04-12 16:19   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-04-12 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I was surprised today when I did a M-x pwd on *Occur*, and
>> it said my home directory, whereas the file I was doing
>> the M-x occur on was in a *different* directory.

Then report it via M-x report-emacs-bug

* Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
@ 2010-04-21  5:41 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-04-21  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?

Opinions?

@ 2010-04-21 17:42 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-04-21 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
>
> Opinions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

A week ago or so, Stefan Monnier, one of the emacs maintainers,
suggested to write a bug-report about this situation.

-ap

* Re: Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
@ 2010-04-21 18:24 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.59.1273030257.29092.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-04-21 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?

Can't think of a reason why it shouldn't.

* Re: shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
@ 2010-05-04 19:59 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: 27 Mar 2010 18:43:20 -0400
>
> I was surprised today when I did a M-x pwd on *Occur*, and
> it said my home directory, whereas the file I was doing
> the M-x occur on was in a *different* directory.
>
> I don't recall this behavior from the past -- or maybe I'm
> just doing something wrong?

In Emacs 23.1.96, I cannot reproduce this.  Does it work for you in
"emacs -Q"?

* Re: Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
@ 2010-05-05  3:15   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.59.1273030257.29092.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-05  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:24:55 -0400
>
> > Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
>
> Can't think of a reason why it shouldn't.

And it does for me.

@ 2010-05-05 20:36     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-05 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
>> Can't think of a reason why it shouldn't.
> And it does for me.

Also on the second call to M-x occur from a different directory?

* Re: Shouldn't m-x pwd on *Occur* be SAME DIR as for the file it's ABOUT?
@ 2010-05-06  3:12       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-05-06  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 16:36:23 -0400

> >> Can't think of a reason why it shouldn't.
> > And it does for me.
>
> Also on the second call to M-x occur from a different directory?

No.