all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x debug
@ 2010-02-11  2:10 RandomDiscourse
From: RandomDiscourse @ 2010-02-11  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs-devel

Just as I have written it in the Subject, this command exists. It acts
differently then "M-x gdb", and for the life of me, I can find absolutely no
documentation on it.

Years ago, when I was doing a lot of programming with EMACS, this was the
command I used to do my debugging. Recently I've installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a
laptop of mine and started to doing a little coding. I'm pulling my hair out
now trying to get a decent debuging environment working in EMACS.

My questions are as follows:

Is there anything unique about "M-x debug", or is it just a mirror of
another debugging command?

From memory, the debugging interface this command provided was superb.

Seth

* M-x debug
@ 2010-02-11  6:31 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-02-11  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: RandomDiscourse; +Cc: Emacs-devel

RandomDiscourse writes:

 > Just as I have written it in the Subject, this command exists. It acts
 > differently then "M-x gdb", and for the life of me, I can find absolutely no
 > documentation on it.

C-h f doesn't tell you that it's loaded from "debug.el" or something
like that?

You don't say what you're trying to debug.  M-x debug is for debugging
Emacs Lisp.  Probably there's a manual entry for it, too (C-h C-f
debug RET should take you there).  Use M-x find-library RET debug RET
to learn more about its internals.

* Re: M-x debug
@ 2010-02-12  4:53 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-02-12  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

RandomDiscourse wrote:
> Just as I have written it in the Subject, this command exists. It acts
> differently then "M-x gdb", and for the life of me, I can find absolutely no
> documentation on it.

See the Emacs Lisp manual: Section 18.1 The Lisp Debugger (aka Debugger node)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA