all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and Bind9
@ 2010-01-28 15:27 Drew Shaughnessy
From: Drew Shaughnessy @ 2010-01-28 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello there.
    I am in the process of configuring a Bind9 server on Ubuntu 9.10,
but for some reason my emacs will not let me save my zone files because
with the error "Cannot locate SOA record". This is slightly
understandable since I am trying to use the SOA record from another file
with this line:

$INCLUDE "/var/cache/bind/internal/includes/mydomain-soa"

And here is my mydomain-soa file:

$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.mydomain.com. admin.mydomain.com. (
                                        2010012712  ; Serial
                                        21600       ; Refresh
                                        3600        ; Retry
                                        604800      ; Expires
                                        86400 )     ; Minimum

                        IN      NS      ns1.
                        IN      NS      ns2.
                        IN      MX      10 mail.

Currently Bind restarts just fine and will preform lookups without any
issue. Is there some config I can put into .emacs or some mode I can use
that will keep emacs from checking for a SOA record?

--
Drew Shaughnessy
System Administrator

* Re: Emacs and Bind9
@ 2010-01-29  4:41 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-01-29  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Shaughnessy wrote:
> Hello there.
>    I am in the process of configuring a Bind9 server on Ubuntu 9.10, but
> for some reason my emacs will not let me save my zone files because with
> the error "Cannot locate SOA record". This is slightly understandable
> since I am trying to use the SOA record from another file with this line:
>
> $INCLUDE "/var/cache/bind/internal/includes/mydomain-soa"
>
> And here is my mydomain-soa file:
>
> $TTL    86400
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.mydomain.com. admin.mydomain.com. (
>                                        2010012712  ; Serial
>                                        21600       ; Refresh
>                                        3600        ; Retry
>                                        604800      ; Expires
>                                        86400 )     ; Minimum
>
>                        IN      NS      ns1.
>                        IN      NS      ns2.
>                        IN      MX      10 mail.
>

> Currently Bind restarts just fine and will preform lookups without any
> issue. Is there some config I can put into .emacs or some mode I can use
> that will keep emacs from checking for a SOA record?

The DNS mode that comes with Emacs does not actually process the
$INCLUDE control entity, and by default requires the SOA to be present
in the file.

But since your SOA record is in another file, you probably want to set
dns-mode-soa-auto-increment-serial to nil (or 'ask), and to do so as a
file local variable:

; -*- mode: dns-mode; dns-mode-soa-auto-increment-serial: nil; -*-

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA