all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reading mail
@ 2010-01-25 20:52 Mauro Sacchetto
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-25 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I put in ~/.emacs the following:
(setq mail-sources
      '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/samiel")
       (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com"
             :password "*********"
             :connection ssl
             :leave t)
       (pop :server "pop.istruzione.it"
             :port 110
             :user "mauro.sacchetto"
             :password "**********")))
I try to receive and read mail with RMAIL,
Emacs seems to control, but it doesn't realize
really if there is new mail or not. In fact,
tells me "No new mail", even if it's not true.
Anything wrong in the lines over?
Thanx!
M.

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26  9:00 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-01-26  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jan 25 2010, Mauro Sacchetto wrote:

> I put in ~/.emacs the following:
> (setq mail-sources
>       '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/samiel")
>        (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>         [...]
> I try to receive and read mail with RMAIL,
> Emacs seems to control,

I fail to understand what you mean by this.

> but it doesn't realize really if there is new mail or not. In fact,
> tells me "No new mail", even if it's not true.  Anything wrong in
> the lines over?

`mail-sources' is a variable for Gnus, I don't think Rmail uses it.
See (info "(emacs)Remote Mailboxes") for instructions about Rmail and
POP.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 13:11   ` Mauro Sacchetto
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-26 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Reiner Steib wrote:
>> I put in ~/.emacs the following:
>> (setq mail-sources
>>       '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/samiel")
>>        (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>>         [...]
>> I try to receive and read mail with RMAIL,
>> Emacs seems to control,
>
> I fail to understand what you mean by this.
>> but it doesn't realize really if there is new mail or not. In fact,
>> tells me "No new mail", even if it's not true.  Anything wrong in
>> the lines over?

> `mail-sources' is a variable for Gnus, I don't think Rmail uses it.
> See (info "(emacs)Remote Mailboxes") for instructions about Rmail and
> POP.

I use Emacs 23.1.1 on Debian Testing.
Installing Gnus, aptitude asks me to install
Emacs 22. In any case, I'm not able to find
what king of strings I've to put in my .emacs
to make that rmail controll and receive
my e-mails...

Thanx again
M.

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 14:21 ` Paulo J. Matos
From: Paulo J. Matos @ 2010-01-26 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mauro.sacchetto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Give Gnus  a try: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocmatos at gmail.com
http://www.pmatos.net

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 14:43     ` Anselm Helbig
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2010-01-26 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:11:31 +0100,
Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
> >> I put in ~/.emacs the following:
> >> (setq mail-sources
> >>       '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/samiel")
> >>        (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
> >>         [...]
> >> I try to receive and read mail with RMAIL,
> >> Emacs seems to control,
> >
> > I fail to understand what you mean by this.
> >> but it doesn't realize really if there is new mail or not. In fact,
> >> tells me "No new mail", even if it's not true.  Anything wrong in
> >> the lines over?
>
> > `mail-sources' is a variable for Gnus, I don't think Rmail uses it.
> > See (info "(emacs)Remote Mailboxes") for instructions about Rmail and
> > POP.
>
> I use Emacs 23.1.1 on Debian Testing.
> Installing Gnus, aptitude asks me to install
> Emacs 22. In any case, I'm not able to find
> what king of strings I've to put in my .emacs
> to make that rmail controll and receive
> my e-mails...

Gnus is already part of Emacs 23, that might explain things.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 16:53       ` Mauro Sacchetto
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-26 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Anselm Helbig wrote:
> Gnus is already part of Emacs 23, that might explain things.

AH, OK. I'm rather confused.
So, how I can control my mail?
The string above doesn't work,
but I don't understand if I have
to install some packages (in Deb
mailutils, f. e), or if I have
to control mail in another way
rather than by rmail...

Thanx

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 18:23         ` Richard Riley
       [not found]         ` <mailman.240.1264530229.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-26 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com> writes:

> Anselm Helbig wrote:
>> Gnus is already part of Emacs 23, that might explain things.
>
> AH, OK. I'm rather confused.
> So, how I can control my mail?
> The string above doesn't work,

What string above? ;) Better not to cut relevant material.

> but I don't understand if I have
> to install some packages (in Deb
> mailutils, f. e), or if I have
> to control mail in another way
> rather than by rmail...

rmail is pretty "old school" ;)  You might be better off with gnus  - some
people hate it. Many more love it. It is a learning curve there though.

To clarify : when you installed gnus in debian (I think you said) that
is used with emacs 22 hence the debian repository manager assumed you
wanted emacs 22 too. Uninstall both emacs 22 and gnus. Then using
update-alternatives (google!) check emacs 23 is your default.

With a straightforward email setup with one account you might want to
install sendmail. and the gnutls packages. With a more complicated set
up you might not even used sendmail and instead use something like msmtp
which can use multiple smtp servers - that is probably something for you
to read up on at a later date.

> Thanx

With Gnus the lines you listed wont work. You need to use the select
methods described in the Gnus manual and in numerous locations in
google. e,g

,----
| (setq  gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mymail"
|                                    (nnimap-stream tls)
|                                    (nnimap-address "imap.myhost.net")
|                                    (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
|                                    (nnir-search-engine imap)))
`----

It can be frustrating but when the mist clears you will be whooping with
joy ;)

--
Google Talk : rileyrgdev@googlemail.com  http://www.google.com/talk
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 18:55         ` Jeff Clough
       [not found]         ` <mailman.240.1264530229.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jeff Clough @ 2010-01-26 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

From: Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:53:26 +0100

> Anselm Helbig wrote:
>> Gnus is already part of Emacs 23, that might explain things.
>
> AH, OK. I'm rather confused.
> So, how I can control my mail?
> The string above doesn't work,
> but I don't understand if I have
> to install some packages (in Deb
> mailutils, f. e), or if I have
> to control mail in another way
> rather than by rmail...

Another package you *might* consider for email in Emacs is mew.  You
can find it here:

http://www.mew.org/en/

It installs quite easily and is documented well.  I use it myself and
it works well enough for my needs.

BUT...

Gnus is by far the most commonly used package for handling email, and
the list for mew is extremely low traffic, with questions going
unanswered for weeks.  If you run into a problem, you're likely to get
more help if you're using gnus than anything else.

Jeff

* Re: Reading mail
       [not found]         ` <mailman.240.1264530229.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-26 19:25           ` Mauro Sacchetto
       [not found]             ` <mailman.246.1264535362.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-26 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley wrote:
> rmail is pretty "old school" ;)  You might be better off with gnus  - some
> people hate it. Many more love it. It is a learning curve there though.
I'm trying...

> To clarify : when you installed gnus in debian (I think you said) that
> is used with emacs 22 hence the debian repository manager assumed you
> wanted emacs 22 too. Uninstall both emacs 22 and gnus. Then using
> update-alternatives (google!) check emacs 23 is your default.
Yes, I'be installed only Emacs 23

> With a straightforward email setup with one account you might want to
> install sendmail. and the gnutls packages. With a more complicated set
> up you might not even used sendmail and instead use something like msmtp
> which can use multiple smtp servers - that is probably something for you
> to read up on at a later date.
I've already msmtp, which I use with Mutt

> With Gnus the lines you listed wont work. You need to use the select
> methods described in the Gnus manual and in numerous locations in
> google. e,g
>
> ,----
> | (setq  gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mymail"
> |                                    (nnimap-stream tls)
> |                                    (nnimap-address "imap.myhost.net")
> |                                    (nnimap-authinfo-file
> |                                    "~/.authinfo.gpg")
> |                                    (nnir-search-engine imap)))
> `----

After having red a lot of web pages, I tried thid lines in ~/.gnus:

| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
| (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| (nnimap-server-port 993)
| (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
| (nnimap-stream ssl)))

but I'm still unable to read mail, only news...
Thanx again
M.

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 19:48             ` Richard Riley
       [not found]             ` <mailman.246.1264535362.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-26 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com> writes:

> After having red a lot of web pages, I tried thid lines in ~/.gnus:
>
> | (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
> | (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> | (nnimap-server-port 993)
> | (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
> | (nnimap-stream ssl)))
>
> but I'm still unable to read mail, only news...
> Thanx again
> M.

Silly question, but it happens time and time again, did you actually
subscribe to your email groups?

What does the server list says? Hit "^" in groups to see your
connections.

--

@ 2010-01-26 20:10               ` Mauro Sacchetto
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.252.1264540010.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley wrote:
> Silly question, but it happens time and time again, did you actually
> subscribe to your email groups?
> What does the server list says? Hit "^" in groups to see your
> connections.

I delete my ~/rcnews, and now launching emacs
and M-x gnus, now it read a list of newsgroup
and show me nndoc+gnus-help.
But it doesn't read my mail account...
Anything else to add in ~/.gnus,
which actually contains only?

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
                          (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                          (nnimap-server-port 993)
                          (nnimap-stream ssl)
                          (nnir-search-engine imap)
                          (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))

Thanx!!
M.

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 21:06                 ` Richard Riley
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.252.1264540010.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-26 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
>> Silly question, but it happens time and time again, did you actually
>> subscribe to your email groups?
>> What does the server list says? Hit "^" in groups to see your
>> connections.
>
> I delete my ~/rcnews, and now launching emacs
> and M-x gnus, now it read a list of newsgroup
> and show me nndoc+gnus-help.
> But it doesn't read my mail account...
> Anything else to add in ~/.gnus,
> which actually contains only?
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "gmail"
>                           (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                           (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                           (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                           (nnir-search-engine imap)
>                           (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")))
>
> Thanx!!
> M.

You didn't do what I asked above. Here :

>> What does the server list says? Hit "^" in groups to see your
>> connections.

Also read

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Various-Various.html

and set the verbose variables described there.

* Re: Reading mail
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.252.1264540010.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-26 23:06                   ` Mauro Sacchetto
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-26 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley wrote:
>>> What does the server list says? Hit "^" in groups to see your
>>> connections.

It says me:
{nnfolder:archive} {closed}
{nndoc:gnus-help} {opened}
{nnimap:gmail} {opened} {agent}

> Also read
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Various-Various.html
> and set the verbose variables described there.
Where have I to place those variables?

Thanx
M.

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-26 23:16                     ` Mauro Sacchetto
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.265.1264551603.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-26 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Richard Riley wrote:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Various-Various.html
>> and set the verbose variables described there.
> Where have I to place those variables?

In the buffer I read:

(source)...done
(source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
imap: Connecting to imap.gmail.com...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl
s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p'...done
Waiting for response from imap.gmail.com...done
Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
auth-source-user-or-password: get (login password) for gmail (993)
auth-source-user-or-password: found (login password)=SECRET for gmail (993)
imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...
imap: Plaintext authentication...
imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...done
Saving file /home/samiel/.newsrc-dribble...
Wrote /home/samiel/.newsrc-dribble
Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it? (y or n)
Please answer y or n.  Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it?
(y or n)
Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...
First time user; subscribing you to default groups
Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...
nnimap: Generating active list for gmail...done
Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...done
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
`A k' to list killed groups
Checking new news...done
Setting up drafts group
Auto-saving...

M.

* Re: Reading mail
@ 2010-01-27  0:19                     ` Richard Riley
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.265.1264551603.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-27  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com> writes:

> It says me:
> {nnfolder:archive} {closed}
> {nndoc:gnus-help} {opened}
> {nnimap:gmail} {opened} {agent}

So, did you subscribe to your email? I am assuming you pressed "enter"
on the gmail line? Not using gmail myself I cant be 100% sure but in all
other servers you need to subscribe.

--

@ 2010-01-27  1:05                       ` Mauro Sacchetto
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-27  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2010-01-27  1:07                       ` Mauro Sacchetto
From: Mauro Sacchetto @ 2010-01-27  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley wrote:
> So, did you subscribe to your email? I am assuming you pressed "enter"
> on the gmail line? Not using gmail myself I cant be 100% sure but in all
> other servers you need to subscribe.

Ahhhhh, finally I was able to read!
Yes, pressing "Enter" I can read!
Now the next step. For I've more account,
I've to place them too. But they are not
IMAP, but only POP. A new adventure begins...

Thanx a lot!
M.