all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem in pasting from an X-application into emacs 21
@ 2002-11-30  3:32 Howard E. Haber
From: Howard E. Haber @ 2002-11-30  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ever since the emacs was upgraded on a sun (solaris) machine from emacs 19
to emacs 21, I've had various headaches from unexpected behavior.  The
latest involves pasting text from outside of emacs to an emacs windows (in
an X environment).

I highlight the text in Window #1, and then attempt to paste it in my emacs
window (either with C-y or the middle mouse button).  Sometimes it works and
sometimes it doesn't.  When it does not work, what gets pasted in the emacs
window is text from some previous paste within the emacs window.

Has anyone ever encountered this?  What is maddening is that when I test it
out with fresh windows, it works properly for a while.  But then it doesn't.
What is going on?  Nothing in the manual that I can see indicates why this
might be happening.

Thanks!

* Re: problem in pasting from an X-application into emacs 21
@ 2002-11-30 17:21 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-30 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Howard E. Haber" <hhaber@pacbell.net> writes:

> I highlight the text in Window #1, and then attempt to paste it in my emacs
> window (either with C-y or the middle mouse button).  Sometimes it works and
> sometimes it doesn't.  When it does not work, what gets pasted in the emacs
> window is text from some previous paste within the emacs window.
>
> Has anyone ever encountered this?  What is maddening is that when I test it
> out with fresh windows, it works properly for a while.  But then it doesn't.
> What is going on?  Nothing in the manual that I can see indicates why this
> might be happening.

Compare the value of the variables interprogram-cut-function and
interprogram-paste-function when it works and when it doesn't work.
Are they different?

C-h v tells you the value of a variable.

* Re: problem in pasting from an X-application into emacs 21
@ 2002-12-01 11:10   ` Howard E. Haber
From: Howard E. Haber @ 2002-12-01 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

The behavior I find is most strange.  I did a little experiment with both
emacs 19 and emacs 21 running side by side.  The emacs 19 behaves completely
as expected but the emacs 21 exhibits the problem mentioned in my original
message.  In BOTH emacs 19 and emacs 21, the values of the variables below
were (when checked with C-h v):

interprogram-cut-function:  x-select-text
interprogram-paste-function: x-cut-buffers-or-selection-value

My experiment was as follows.  First type in some text in the emacs window.
Then, cut the text (highlight text with mouse and then C-w).  Finally,
attempt to paste from another program (netscape in this case).  In emacs 19,
the netscape text pasted fine.  In emacs 21, what was pasted was the text
previously cut with C-w.

Why is this happening?

@ 2002-12-20 16:32     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2002-12-20 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howard> The behavior I find is most strange.  I did a little
Howard> experiment with both emacs 19 and emacs 21 running side by
Howard> side.  The emacs 19 behaves completely as expected but the
Howard> emacs 21 exhibits the problem mentioned in my original
Howard> message.

Yes, I have seen this as well.  In Emacs 20, too.

Here's my original complaint:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-emacsen/2002/debian-emacsen-200208/msg00008.html

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
if (sizeof(signed) > sizeof(unsigned) + 4) { delete this; }