all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ESC x man and "man -k"
@ 2010-01-20  5:07 Joseph Brenner
From: Joseph Brenner @ 2010-01-20  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've always liked the man feature:
  man -k <search_term>
Which does something like an "apropos" search on man pages.

I used to use this feature often inside of emacs, first doing an
  ESC x man
then at the prompt, entering:
  -k <search_term>

Now, with a recent "cvs emacs" (soon to be called "bizarre emacs", I fear),
I find that I can't type the space after the -k.

Is this supposed to be a feature?  How can I fix it?

* Re: ESC x man and "man -k"
@ 2010-01-20  6:49 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.1761.1263970216.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-01-20  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joseph Brenner wrote:
> I've always liked the man feature:
>   man -k <search_term>
> Which does something like an "apropos" search on man pages.
>
> I used to use this feature often inside of emacs, first doing an
>   ESC x man
> then at the prompt, entering:
>   -k <search_term>
>
> Now, with a recent "cvs emacs" (soon to be called "bizarre emacs", I fear),
> I find that I can't type the space after the -k.
>
> Is this supposed to be a feature?  How can I fix it?

It must be doing completion on the option letter.

Type C-q SPC instead of just SPC.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: ESC x man and "man -k" (possible bug?)
@ 2010-01-20  6:55 ` tomas
       [not found] ` <mailman.1761.1263970216.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2010-01-20  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Brenner; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: ESC x man and "man -k"
       [not found] ` <mailman.1761.1263970216.18930.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-22  9:11   ` Joseph Brenner
From: Joseph Brenner @ 2010-01-22  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:
> Joseph Brenner wrote:
>> I've always liked the man feature:
>>   man -k <search_term>
>> Which does something like an "apropos" search on man pages.
>>
>> I used to use this feature often inside of emacs, first doing an
>>   ESC x man
>> then at the prompt, entering:
>>   -k <search_term>
>>
>> Now, with a recent "cvs emacs" (soon to be called "bizarre emacs", I fear),
>> I find that I can't type the space after the -k.
>>
>> Is this supposed to be a feature?  How can I fix it?
>
> It must be doing completion on the option letter.
>
> Type C-q SPC instead of just SPC.

Yes, that seems to work... but I decided I might as well do it
like this:

  (defun man-apropos-search (search-term)
    "Do a keyword search of man pages, cf. 'man -k SEARCH-TERM'."
    (interactive "ssearch term for man pages: ")
    (man (concat "-k " search-term)))

  (global-set-key "\M-om" 'man-apropos-search)