all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to change standard date
@ 2009-12-17 10:42 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-17 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to display the standard displayed date to local date, but I
can not get it to work.

I tried:
  (setq gnus-treat-date-local head)
But this gives:
    gnus-treat-predicate: "head" is not a valid value

I tried:
  (setq gnus-treat-date-local "head")
But then all headers are displayed, instead of only the default ones.

I tried:
  (setq gnus-treat-date-local t)
This looks the best, but there is an hour difference with 'W T l'.

So what is the correct way to get default the local date displayed?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: How to change standard date
@ 2009-12-17 11:14 ` Cecil Westerhof
       [not found] ` <mailman.13092.1261054822.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-17 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I tried:
>   (setq gnus-treat-date-local t)
> This looks the best, but there is an hour difference with 'W T l'.

Properly this is the correct way. I tried that with messages I already
read. When using it with unread messages it seems to work.

What puzzles me is why the documentation
(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Customizing-Articles.html)
says:
     gnus-treat-date-local (head)

--

@ 2009-12-17 12:58 ` Sergei Organov
       [not found] ` <mailman.13092.1261054822.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sergei Organov @ 2009-12-17 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> I would like to display the standard displayed date to local date, but I
> can not get it to work.
>
> I tried:
>   (setq gnus-treat-date-local head)
> But this gives:
>     gnus-treat-predicate: "head" is not a valid value
>
> I tried:
>   (setq gnus-treat-date-local "head")
> But then all headers are displayed, instead of only the default ones.

 (setq gnus-treat-date-local 'head)

I'd guess.

-- Sergei.

@ 2009-12-17 13:38   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2009-12-17 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:

>  (setq gnus-treat-date-local 'head)
>
> I'd guess.

That works. But the documentation is not very clear then. Because for
nil I do not put a '. So instead of talking about head, it should be
about 'head.

--

@ 2009-12-17 14:04     ` Benjamin Andresen
From: Benjamin Andresen @ 2009-12-17 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>
>>  (setq gnus-treat-date-local 'head)
>>
>> I'd guess.
>
> That works. But the documentation is not very clear then. Because for
> nil I do not put a '. So instead of talking about head, it should be
> about 'head.

You could though.
nil is a variable that just evaluates to the symbol 'nil (eq 'nil nil)

the same goes for t.

I personally don't feel confused by a symbol, a string and a variable,
but because someone is going to say it, I'll do it:

Make a suggestion on how to improve the documentation. But beware: The
completely documentation uses the `foo' syntax for functions and
symbols.

br,
benny

* Re: How to change standard date
@ 2009-12-17 14:29     ` Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2009-12-17 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil@decebal.nl> writes:

> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>
>>  (setq gnus-treat-date-local 'head)
>>
>> I'd guess.
>
> That works. But the documentation is not very clear then. Because for
> nil I do not put a '. So instead of talking about head, it should be
> about 'head.

One needs to be a little bit familiar with Elisp:

"   In Emacs Lisp, `nil' and `t' are special symbols that always
 evaluate to themselves.  This is so that you do not need to quote them
 to use them as constants in a program."

-- Sergei.

* Re: How to change standard date
@ 2009-12-17 17:37     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-12-17 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Dec 17 2009, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Sergei Organov <osv@javad.com> writes:
>>  (setq gnus-treat-date-local 'head)
[...]
> That works. But the documentation is not very clear then. Because for
> nil I do not put a '. So instead of talking about head, it should be
> about 'head.

Use customize (`M-x customize-variable RET gnus-treat-date-local RET',
you can simply click on this in Gnus) or read (info "(gnus)Emacs for
Heathens"), especially...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Emacs Lisp") ]
|    Some pitfalls:
|
|    If the manual says "set `gnus-read-active-file' to `some'", that
| means:
|
|      (setq gnus-read-active-file 'some)
|
|    On the other hand, if the manual says "set `gnus-nntp-server' to
| `nntp.ifi.uio.no'", that means:
|
|      (setq gnus-nntp-server "nntp.ifi.uio.no")
|
|    So be careful not to mix up strings (the latter) with symbols (the
| former).  The manual is unambiguous, but it can be confusing.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,