all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-10 18:27 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-12-10 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It's not clear to me from the docs how to default to pdf mode for all
files.  I have no need for dvi and pdf is more flexible with graphics
inclusion (e.g I just use png and not eps).

e.g If I set to pdflatex mode in an include it should also do that for
the master file when I try to compile the include.

I would love to hear your setup details.

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
       [not found] <mailman.12683.1260469714.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-12-10 18:34 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-12-10 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-12-10 19:27 (+0100), Richard Riley wrote:

> It's not clear to me from the docs how to default to pdf mode for all
> files.  I have no need for dvi and pdf is more flexible with graphics
> inclusion (e.g I just use png and not eps).

I believe this does it:

    (setq-default TeX-PDF-mode t)

Actually I have set the variable through customize interface and I do
get PDFLaTeX mode by default.

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-10 19:21   ` Richard Riley
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-12-10 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> On 2009-12-10 19:27 (+0100), Richard Riley wrote:
>
>> It's not clear to me from the docs how to default to pdf mode for all
>> files.  I have no need for dvi and pdf is more flexible with graphics
>> inclusion (e.g I just use png and not eps).
>
> I believe this does it:
>
>     (setq-default TeX-PDF-mode t)
>
> Actually I have set the variable through customize interface and I do
> get PDFLaTeX mode by default.

I tried this but when I inspect its value when I open either my include
or the master its nil. I dont have any file local variables that relate
to it either - unless its something auctex has hidden away in its
support files?

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-10 19:30   ` Richard Riley
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12688.1260472900.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-12-10 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> On 2009-12-10 19:27 (+0100), Richard Riley wrote:
>
>> It's not clear to me from the docs how to default to pdf mode for all
>> files.  I have no need for dvi and pdf is more flexible with graphics
>> inclusion (e.g I just use png and not eps).
>
> I believe this does it:
>
>     (setq-default TeX-PDF-mode t)
>
> Actually I have set the variable through customize interface and I do
> get PDFLaTeX mode by default.

This worked for me:-

 (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook (lambda ()
 			          (reftex-mode 1)
				  (setq TeX-PDF-mode t)
                                  (TeX-fold-mode 1)))

Setting it once did nothing : the global value was t but the buffer
local was still nil (after restarting emacs). I have no buffer variables
relevant either. I guess I'm missing something obvious?

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-10 20:36   ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12688.1260472900.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-12-10 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    On 2009-12-10 19:27 (+0100), Richard Riley wrote:

    > It's not clear to me from the docs how to default to pdf mode for all
    > files.  I have no need for dvi and pdf is more flexible with graphics
    > inclusion (e.g I just use png and not eps).

    I believe this does it:

        (setq-default TeX-PDF-mode t)

    Actually I have set the variable through customize interface and I do
    get PDFLaTeX mode by default.

Thank you both.

@ 2009-12-10 21:03     ` Ralf Angeli
       [not found]       ` <mailman.12717.1260483958.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2009-12-10 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Richard Riley (2009-12-10) writes:

> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
>
>> I believe this does it:
>>
>>     (setq-default TeX-PDF-mode t)
>>
>> Actually I have set the variable through customize interface and I do
>> get PDFLaTeX mode by default.
>
> I tried this but when I inspect its value when I open either my include
> or the master its nil. I dont have any file local variables that relate
> to it either - unless its something auctex has hidden away in its
> support files?

You probably have something in your LaTeX files which makes AUCTeX
believe you do not want to use TeX PDF mode, like a `dvips' package
option.

--
Ralf

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-10 22:25       ` Richard Riley
       [not found]       ` <mailman.12717.1260483958.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-12-10 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:

> * Richard Riley (2009-12-10) writes:
>
>> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
>>
>>> I believe this does it:
>>>
>>>     (setq-default TeX-PDF-mode t)
>>>
>>> Actually I have set the variable through customize interface and I do
>>> get PDFLaTeX mode by default.
>>
>> I tried this but when I inspect its value when I open either my include
>> or the master its nil. I dont have any file local variables that relate
>> to it either - unless its something auctex has hidden away in its
>> support files?
>
> You probably have something in your LaTeX files which makes AUCTeX
> believe you do not want to use TeX PDF mode, like a `dvips' package
> option.

Actually I did have

\usepackage[usenames,dvips]{colortbl}

but thats only so I can get the color names e.g BrickRed and Goldenrod.

Is there another non dvips way to get the same constants?

@ 2009-12-11 17:50         ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2009-12-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Richard Riley (2009-12-10) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:
>
>> You probably have something in your LaTeX files which makes AUCTeX
>> believe you do not want to use TeX PDF mode, like a `dvips' package
>> option.
>
> Actually I did have
>
> \usepackage[usenames,dvips]{colortbl}
>
> but thats only so I can get the color names e.g BrickRed and Goldenrod.
>
> Is there another non dvips way to get the same constants?

Have you considered looking into the manual of color.sty?  It mentions
the `dvipsnames' option.

--
Ralf

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-11 18:17         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2009-12-11 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

[snipped 24 lines]

> \usepackage[usenames,dvips]{colortbl}
>
> but thats only so I can get the color names e.g BrickRed and Goldenrod.
>
> Is there another non dvips way to get the same constants?

How about svgnames which I think is part of color or xcolor package
options?

 sivaram

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-12 15:33           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-12-12 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:

> * Richard Riley (2009-12-10) writes:
>
>> Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:
>>
>>> You probably have something in your LaTeX files which makes AUCTeX
>>> believe you do not want to use TeX PDF mode, like a `dvips' package
>>> option.
>>
>> Actually I did have
>>
>> \usepackage[usenames,dvips]{colortbl}
>>
>> but thats only so I can get the color names e.g BrickRed and Goldenrod.
>>
>> Is there another non dvips way to get the same constants?
>
> Have you considered looking into the manual of color.sty?  It mentions
> the `dvipsnames' option.

Possibly its me being confused by odd naming conventions. Again,
"dvipsnames". The "dvi" bit probably caused me to sweep past it.

As a beginner to latex I find it horrifically difficult at times to
know where to look - but getting there.

cheers,

r.

* Re: AucTex and master file and pdf mode
@ 2009-12-12 16:04             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-12-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Ralf Angeli <dev.null@caeruleus.net> writes:
>
>> * Richard Riley (2009-12-10) writes:

>>> Actually I did have
>>>
>>> \usepackage[usenames,dvips]{colortbl}
>>>
>>> but thats only so I can get the color names e.g BrickRed and Goldenrod.
>>>
>>> Is there another non dvips way to get the same constants?
>>
>> Have you considered looking into the manual of color.sty?  It mentions
>> the `dvipsnames' option.
>
> Possibly its me being confused by odd naming conventions. Again,
> "dvipsnames". The "dvi" bit probably caused me to sweep past it.
>
> As a beginner to latex I find it horrifically difficult at times to
> know where to look - but getting there.

And in case anyone else has the issue ( which google suggests is
likely!) then I think the correct solution is to enable the pdftex
driver constants like this:-

,----
| \usepackage[pdftex,usenames,dvipsnames]{colortbl}
`----

cheers,

r.