In article , Xah Lee wrote: >On Oct 17, 6:46 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote: >> In article , >> Xah Lee wrote: >> >> Please -- I know you love your nice control-chars your posts >> always include, but it sure makes it near IMPOSSIBLE for us >> to read, or especially to NICELY save, them. >> >> Suggestion: >> >> Each post you make, DOUBLE it: first part "your way", then >> a dashed line or lines, then again, but without that stuff >> in it. Just plain ascii, minus any within-line control-chars. >> >> (Presumably you take the trouble to write your posts, to think >> them through, etc, because you want us to READ them, to BENEFIT >> from them, perhaps to even SAVE them. Seems to me that it would >> thus be to YOUR benefit to make them as easy as possible to read, >> and likewise to save away, maybe even for OTHERS to read (attributed >> to you, of course).) >> >> Thanks for at least considering the above. > >Hi David, > >was it you who wrote me at least twice about this issue in the past in >separate times? > >If i didn't recall incorrectly, i never got any reasons what is the >problem. > >The "control chars" you mention, are unicode characters, and pretty >standard ones, such as curly quotes and bullets. > >I wrote all my posts using just emacs, and they show correctly in just >about all web browsers from groups.google.com. There is no problem in >copy and pasting them, nor can i imagine there any problem in saving >them as file, in any of Windows, Mac, or linux. the encoding used is >utf-8, default in mac, linuxes, and fully supported Windows. > >unicode is charset in langs like xml, java... etc. > >can you be explicit exactly what is the problem? is it some news >reader that does not support unicode? i haven't tried, but it'd be a >major shame if u telling me emacs+gnus or Mozilla's Thunderbird does >not support unicode out of the box? > > Xah >∑ http://xahlee.org/ > >☄ You're writing for a web-browser? I don't use a web-browser for newsgroups -- I use "trn4". And with that, your unicode orwhatever looks pretty bad, unreadable in some cases. How about writing for just plain old ascii terminals, eg adm3a or vt-100 -- isn't that the working assumption for newsgroup text? David