all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 20:19 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-09-14 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recall I was able to have some indication
of the end of file, e.g., tildes below.
However nowadays it seems it is gone.
~
~
~

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 21:03 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-09-14 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.09.2009 um 22:19 schrieb jidanni:

> ~
> ~
> ~

Modern Emacsen use the fringes for this purpose.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Upgraded, adj.:
	Didn't work the first time.

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 21:10   ` jidanni
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: jidanni @ 2009-09-14 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter_dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

PD> Modern Emacsen use the fringes for this purpose.
Yes, but they are gone for me, as are the tildes in
$ emacs -nw /etc/motd

Yes I can see the fringe-mode marker when a line wraps, or the \ when using
-nw, but I can no longer see any of the tilde stuff for after the end of file.

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 21:17     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-09-14 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> PD> Modern Emacsen use the fringes for this purpose.
> Yes, but they are gone for me, as are the tildes in
> $ emacs -nw /etc/motd
>
> Yes I can see the fringe-mode marker when a line wraps, or the \ when using
> -nw, but I can no longer see any of the tilde stuff for after the end of file.

Any chance you are confusing emacs with vim, which has this `tilde
stuff' ?

-ap

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 21:22   ` jidanni
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: jidanni @ 2009-09-14 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter_dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

OK, I need to put
(setq indicate-buffer-boundaries t
      indicate-empty-lines       t)
into some hook that gets called for every buffer, here in emacs-version "23.1.50.1".

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 21:25   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-09-14 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter_dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Indeed, I had
(setq indicate-empty-lines t)
but here in emacs-version "23.1.50.1" it is no longer inherited into
every buffer. One needs to put it into some hook.

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-09-14 21:30   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-09-14 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter_dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

OK: (setq-default indicate-empty-lines t) solved.

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-09-14 21:41   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-09-14 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter_dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

OK, here is how I was vicitmized.

I used to use
(setq default-indicate-empty-lines t)

A few days ago I got the message
Compiling file /home/jidanni/.emacs ...
.emacs:436:7:Warning: `default-indicate-empty-lines' is an obsolete variable
    (as of Emacs 23.2); use `indicate-empty-lines' instead.

(I wonder how what people who don't compile their .emacs file will get
that news.)

So I changed it to
(setq indicate-empty-lines t)

Then after a few days I started wondering where the indicators went.

So one needs to change it to
(setq-default indicate-empty-lines t)
surprize surprize :-(

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 23:37     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6691.1252971966.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6697.1252984271.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-09-14 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.09.2009 um 23:41 schrieb jidanni:

> surprize surprize :-(

I'd simply use the customise interface! Writing Elisp code...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Wasting time is an important part of living.

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-14 23:45       ` jidanni
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6691.1252971966.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jidanni @ 2009-09-14 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter_dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

PD> I'd simply use the customise interface! Writing Elisp code...
Sorry, for me I hate the customise interface, and can only deal with
(setq ...) stuff.

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-15  3:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6697.1252984271.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-15  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: jidanni@jidanni.org
> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 05:41:38 +0800
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> OK, here is how I was vicitmized.
>
> I used to use
> (setq default-indicate-empty-lines t)
>
> A few days ago I got the message
> Compiling file /home/jidanni/.emacs ...
> .emacs:436:7:Warning: `default-indicate-empty-lines' is an obsolete variable
>     (as of Emacs 23.2); use `indicate-empty-lines' instead.
>
> (I wonder how what people who don't compile their .emacs file will get
> that news.)

From etc/NEWS, of course:

   ** All the default-FOO variables that hold the default value of the FOO
   variable, are now declared obsolete.

@ 2009-09-15  7:54       ` Sébastien Vauban
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6770.1253080347.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-09-15  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: jidanni-8D0D3YcSAvhAfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org
>>
>> Warning: `default-indicate-empty-lines' is an obsolete variable
>>     (as of Emacs 23.2); use `indicate-empty-lines' instead.
>
> From etc/NEWS, of course:
>
>    ** All the default-FOO variables that hold the default value of the FOO
>    variable, are now declared obsolete.

Really ALL those variables beginning with `default-', such as:

    (setq default-case-fold-search t)
    (setq default-directory "XXX")
    (setq default-frame-alist '((tool-bar-lines . 1)))
    (setq default-enable-multibyte-characters t)
    (setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
    (setq default-major-mode 'org-mode)

Is, then, the following correct starting from Emacs 23.2?

    (setq-default case-fold-search t)
    (setq-default directory "XXX")
    (setq-default frame-alist '((tool-bar-lines . 1)))
    (setq-default enable-multibyte-characters t)
    (setq-default input-method "latin-1-prefix")
    (setq-default major-mode 'org-mode)

Thanks for giving this precision...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-09-16  5:15         ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6770.1253080347.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-09-16  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Eli,
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: jidanni@jidanni.org
>>>
>>> Warning: `default-indicate-empty-lines' is an obsolete variable
>>>     (as of Emacs 23.2); use `indicate-empty-lines' instead.
>> From etc/NEWS, of course:
>>
>>    ** All the default-FOO variables that hold the default value of the FOO
>>    variable, are now declared obsolete.
>
> Really ALL those variables beginning with `default-', such as:

>     (setq default-case-fold-search t)
>     (setq default-directory "XXX")
>     (setq default-frame-alist '((tool-bar-lines . 1)))
>     (setq default-enable-multibyte-characters t)
>     (setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
>     (setq default-major-mode 'org-mode)

No, only those variables that hold the default value of the FOO variable.  E.g.
there is no `directory' variable.

Try: C-h d \`Default value of

> Is, then, the following correct starting from Emacs 23.2?

>     (setq-default case-fold-search t)
>     (setq-default directory "XXX")
>     (setq-default frame-alist '((tool-bar-lines . 1)))
>     (setq-default enable-multibyte-characters t)
>     (setq-default input-method "latin-1-prefix")
>     (setq-default major-mode 'org-mode)

No.

> Thanks for giving this precision...

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2009-09-16 14:18           ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-09-16 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1500 bytes --]

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Hi Eli,

>>> From etc/NEWS, of course:
>>>
>>>    ** All the default-FOO variables that hold the default value of the FOO
>>>    variable, are now declared obsolete.
>>
>> Really ALL those variables beginning with `default-', such as:

>>     (setq default-case-fold-search t)
>>     (setq default-directory "XXX")
>>     (setq default-frame-alist '((tool-bar-lines . 1)))
>>     (setq default-enable-multibyte-characters t)
>>     (setq default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
>>     (setq default-major-mode 'org-mode)
>
> No, only those variables that hold the default value of the FOO variable.

Right. Of course, that seems obvious now that it is said!  Indeed...

> Try: C-h d \`Default value of

I don't understand why, but even without the backquote, I have an error when
trying the above command:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp t)
  string-match("\\(of\\|value\\|Default\\).+\\(of\\|value\\|Default\\)" t)
  apropos-documentation-internal(t)
  #[(symbol) "Æ\b!\x11\bÇN‰\x12¨ƒ\x0f

* CUSTOMIZE: Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6691.1252971966.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-12  3:17         ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-10-12  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.6691.1252971966.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
>PD> I'd simply use the customise interface! Writing Elisp code...
>Sorry, for me I hate the customise interface, and can only deal with
>(setq ...) stuff.

I myself have never been able to profitably use the
customize interface.

MY problem is that, as with many menu-driven gui-interfaces (eg
   main --> syntax --> foo-words --> regexp-search-for-special-word--FOO ),

is that I have no idea how to find anything, no idea of where to
even look for something.

What would be *really* nice would be a command that, starting
at whatever customize-node you're corrently at, would draw (indented text)
the entire "subtree" of it, all the way down to the leaf items.

AND really nice if also could output a .pdf-file of it -- and
if it turned out that same leaf item occurred under several
subtrees, so the tree became a directed graph, then via
some nifty-clever graph-drawing algorithm (such as at
Brown univ's site devoted to them), something we
could browse over via mouse, zoom, etc, even print out,
scotch-tape pages together, and hang on wall.

Plus the probably impossible: when new items added, some
kind of (graphic?) diff?

Otherwise, for me it's *info* and M-x Occur on the index,
that kind of thing.

PLEASE -- SOMEONE make customize easier to find things in!

Thanks!

David

* Re: CUSTOMIZE: Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-10-13  7:08           ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-10-13  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> In article <mailman.6691.1252971966.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
>>PD> I'd simply use the customise interface! Writing Elisp code...
>>Sorry, for me I hate the customise interface, and can only deal with
>>(setq ...) stuff.
>>

> I myself have never been able to profitably use the
> customize interface.
>
> MY problem is that, as with many menu-driven gui-interfaces (eg
>    main --> syntax --> foo-words --> regexp-search-for-special-word--FOO ),
>
> is that I have no idea how to find anything, no idea of where to
> even look for something.
>
> What would be *really* nice would be a command that, starting
> at whatever customize-node you're corrently at, would draw (indented text)
> the entire "subtree" of it, all the way down to the leaf items.
>
> AND really nice if also could output a .pdf-file of it -- and
> if it turned out that same leaf item occurred under several
> subtrees, so the tree became a directed graph, then via
> some nifty-clever graph-drawing algorithm (such as at
> Brown univ's site devoted to them), something we
> could browse over via mouse, zoom, etc, even print out,
> scotch-tape pages together, and hang on wall.
>
> Plus the probably impossible: when new items added, some
> kind of (graphic?) diff?
>
> Otherwise, for me it's *info* and M-x Occur on the index,
> that kind of thing.
>

> PLEASE -- SOMEONE make customize easier to find things in!
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

A couple of things that may make customize easier for you

1. M-x customize-group. All customizations are part of a group. These
groups are in a hierarchy with the group 'emacs' at the top. Using this
command, you can jump into just a specific group. For example, if you
wanted to customize things relating to ecb, you would enter ecb at the
prompt for M-x customize-group. You also have completion available, so
you can see what groups exist.

2. Generally speaking, if you do a 'describe' on a variable, if that
variable has a 'customize' interface, it will have a line in the output
saying sometihghin like

"This variable can be customized'

where customized is underlined and is a hyperlink. Clicking on it will
bring up the customize buffer for that variable.

3. You also have  a lot of other customize functions that will provide
   you with lots of other ways to work with customize, such as

   M-x customize-variable, which gives the customize interface for a
   specific variable
   M-x customize-apropos which does a apropos just for customize
   variable
   M-x customize-face to customize a specific face. By default, it will
   do the face under point.
   m-x customize-option

and then there are a heap for selecting variables that have been set
through customize, ones that have not been set etc.

While it took me a long time to switch to using customize, now that I
have, its really useful - especially the cusotmize-group command. I've
also found that in some cases, setting the value through customize gives
much better/more reliable results than doing it via elisp in my .emacs
file. Not sure why there is a difference, but in some cases, there
certainly is.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: CUSTOMIZE: Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
@ 2009-11-12  2:47             ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-11-12  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, thanks.