all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keybinding
@ 2010-07-30  3:36 Z
From: Z @ 2010-07-30  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am a  beginner to emacs . I would like to ask some advices to achieve such
a keybinding problem.

Typing C-c C-e in a buffer in Caml mode sends the current phrase
  (containing the point) to the Caml toplevel, and evaluates it.  I would
like that achieve this by simply type C- downarrow. Would you like to give
some hints to achieve it?

Many thanks
Z.

* Re: keybinding
@ 2010-07-30 19:47 ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2010-07-30 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7/30/2010 4:36 AM, Z wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a  beginner to emacs . I would like to ask some advices to achieve such a
> keybinding problem.
>
> Typing C-c C-e in a buffer in Caml mode sends the current phrase
>    (containing the point) to the Caml toplevel, and evaluates it.  I would like
> that achieve this by simply type C- downarrow. Would you like to give some
> hints to achieve it?

The general thing to do is to find the variable that contains the "hooks" that
are called when caml-mode is entered.  Supposing the variable is called
caml-mode-hook, you can add to it a function that sets C-[down] to the same
thing that C-c C-e is set to.  It will look something like

(add-hook 'caml-mode-hook
           (lambda ()
              (local-set-key "C-[down]" the-function-that-sends-current-phrase))))

If there are any users of Caml mode on this list, they can give you more a
specific tip.

But you would be better off reading the Emacs manual chapter on Customizing Key
Bindings.

Cheers,
Uday

PS: The Emacs aficionados reading this list might think about why it needs to
be this complicated!

* Re: keybinding
@ 2010-07-30 20:34   ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2010-07-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uday S Reddy <u.s.reddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

> On 7/30/2010 4:36 AM, Z wrote:
> you can add to it a function that sets C-[down] to the same thing that
> C-c C-e is set to

To find out the name of the function, you can use C-h k C-c C-e.

> (add-hook 'caml-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>              (local-set-key "C-[down]" the-function-that-sends-current-phrase))))

Should be:

(add-hook 'caml-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
             (local-set-key (kbd "C-<down>") 'the-function-that-sends-current-phrase)))

> PS: The Emacs aficionados reading this list might think about why it
> needs to be this complicated!

Sometimes that's just how it is with this much extensability.

--
Burton Samograd

* Re: keybinding
@ 2010-07-31  0:24   ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-31  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uday S Reddy; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/7/30 Uday S Reddy <u.s.reddy@cs.bham.ac.uk>:
> PS: The Emacs aficionados reading this list might think about why it needs
> to be this complicated!

With great power comes great responsibility.

Or more specifically: if you want to be able to customize very
specific needs like this you should expect that you have to understand
just a bit of Emacs Lisp.

--
Deniz Dogan