all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs block indentation
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 01:03:11 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

In article <8763b0jzqz.fsf@catnip.gol.com>, Miles Bader  <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
>Jaideep Das <jaideep.jdof@gmail.com> writes:
>> is when I select a code part using C-space and then use C-x <tab> / C-c-> /
>> C-c-< to indent or outdent, this only works once and then deselect the
>> block. What if i want to indent multiple times on the same code block do I
>> have to repeated this key sequence from selecting the block to indent.
>
>You might try the "C-x z" command, which means "repeat previous
>command".
>
>-Miles

Hmmm.  Nice, I guess.  First I've heard of it.

So I guess I should include this for possible elaboration?

C-x z runs the command repeat
  which is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `repeat'.
It is bound to C-x z.
(repeat repeat-arg)

Repeat most recently executed command.
With prefix arg, apply new prefix arg to that command; otherwise, use
the prefix arg that was used before (if any).
This command is like the `.' command in the vi editor.

If this command is invoked by a multi-character key sequence, it can then
be repeated by repeating the final character of that sequence.  This behavior
can be modified by the global variable `repeat-on-final-keystroke'.

C-x ESC ESC (translated from C-x <escape> <escape>) runs the command repeat-complex-command
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
It is bound to <redo>, <again>, C-x M-ESC, C-x M-:.
(repeat-complex-command arg)

Edit and re-evaluate last complex command, or argth from last.
A complex command is one which used the minibuffer.
The command is placed in the minibuffer as a Lisp form for editing.
The result is executed, repeating the command as changed.
If the command has been changed or is not the most recent previous command
it is added to the front of the command history.
You can use the minibuffer history commands M-n and M-p
to get different commands to edit and resubmit.

Thanks,

David

PS: Maybe someone could send a msg to rms to make sure that these two
appear together in the manual?