all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Newbie question: Where to find emacs stqrtup file on Windows
@ 2009-10-11 14:07 bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-10-11 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I've downloaded emacs22.3-bin-i386.zip from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/
I've unzipped the archive and searched for either ".emacs.el" ,
".emacs" or "_emacs" but have found none of these.
Where should the startup file be exactly?
Many thanks.

* Re: Newbie question: Where to find emacs stqrtup file on Windows
       [not found] <mailman.8534.1255270031.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-10-11 14:11 ` Jon Solberg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8589.1255345760.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jon Solberg @ 2009-10-11 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-10-11, bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've downloaded emacs22.3-bin-i386.zip from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/ I've unzipped the archive and
> searched for either ".emacs.el" , ".emacs" or "_emacs" but have
> found none of these.  Where should the startup file be exactly?

Well, if you read the FAQ on installing GNU Emacs under MS Windows
you'll find:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Installing-Emacs.html#Installing-Emacs.

(section 3.5 "Where do I put my init file?" is of interest to you)

You did read it, right? ;-)

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).

* Re: Newbie question: Where to find emacs stqrtup file on Windows
@ 2009-10-11 14:21 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8538.1255272119.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-10-11 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bar tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.10.2009 um 16:07 schrieb bar tomas:

> Where should the startup file be exactly?

What does the variable user-init-file tell?

--
Greetings

   Pete

neither do we.
				– Georges W. Bush

@ 2009-10-11 14:35 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-10-11 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bar tomas wrote:
> Hi,
> I've downloaded emacs22.3-bin-i386.zip from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/
> I've unzipped the archive and searched for either ".emacs.el" ,
> ".emacs" or "_emacs" but have found none of these.
> Where should the startup file be exactly?
> Many thanks.

Bar,
Open the file "~/.emacs.el",
ignore any warning about this file not existing.

~/ on UNIX is the user's home directory.
Emacs on MS-Windows will map this to the correct file.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller
--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: Newbie question: Where to find emacs stqrtup file on Windows
@ 2009-10-11 14:41   ` bar tomas
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8538.1255272119.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bar tomas @ 2009-10-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

sorry, I don't even know how to check the value of a variable (i tried
typing alt-x user-init-file, but got nothing)
How how can find the value of user-init-file?
Thanks again.

@ 2009-10-11 14:45     ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-10-11 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bar tomas wrote:
> sorry, I don't even know how to check the value of a variable (i tried
> typing alt-x user-init-file, but got nothing)
> How how can find the value of user-init-file?
> Thanks again.

Bar,

C-h v
runs "describe-variable", this will give you a brief description of what the
variable does, and its current setting.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--

@ 2009-10-11 15:03   ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-10-11 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin S. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks!

@ 2009-10-12 11:09   ` bar tomas
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8589.1255345760.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bar tomas @ 2009-10-12 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Solberg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Great! Many thanks for the help.

@ 2009-10-12 11:51     ` Jon Solberg
From: Jon Solberg @ 2009-10-12 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-10-12, bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/09, Jon Solberg <jon@jonsolberg.nospam.se> wrote:
>> On 2009-10-11, bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  > I've downloaded emacs22.3-bin-i386.zip from
>>  > http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/ I've unzipped the archive
>>  > and searched for either ".emacs.el" , ".emacs" or "_emacs" but
>>  > have found none of these.  Where should the startup file be
>>  > exactly?
>>
>> Well, if you read the FAQ on installing GNU Emacs under MS Windows
>> you'll find:
>>
>>  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/Installing-Emacs.html#Installing-Emacs.
>>
>>  (section 3.5 "Where do I put my init file?" is of interest to you) [...]
>>
> Great! Many thanks for the help.

No worries, glad to be of help. Now, please don't top post.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam" from email address).