all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2577: 23.0.91; startup.el should choose .emacs ahead of .emacs.elc if .emacs is newer
@ 2009-03-06 20:04 Phil Hagelberg
From: Phil Hagelberg @ 2009-03-06 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 2577

The specific failure is this:

A user keeps his entire .emacs.d in an SCM system. This includes not
only his personal customizations, (which would hardly benefit from
compilation) but third-party libraries that haven't made it into Emacs
proper yet. These third-party libraries are byte-compiled in every
checkout of the user's .emacs.d, which span multiple machines.

One of these libraries gets a bug fixed, so he installs the update and
checks it in. Now he moves to another machine that has his dotfiles
checked out, and he pulls in the update, but it's ignored in favour of
the out-of-date .elc file.

Everyone I know who uses Emacs seriously keeps their .emacs.d in an SCM
as well as third-party libraries, so I don't consider this much of an
edge case.

Ideally a flag would exist that could instruct Emacs to ignore
out-of-date .elc files. I understand this is not appropriate to submit
during a feature freeze, but saying it's not a problem is not helpful.

-Phil

* bug#2577: 23.0.91; startup.el should choose .emacs ahead of .emacs.elc if .emacs is newer
@ 2009-03-06 20:23 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-03-06 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 2577

tags 2577 =
forcemerge 2061 2577
stop

Phil Hagelberg wrote:

> Ideally a flag would exist that could instruct Emacs to ignore
> out-of-date .elc files. I understand this is not appropriate to submit
> during a feature freeze, but saying it's not a problem is not helpful.

Then this is a duplicate of wishlist item #2061.

* Processed: Re: bug#2577: 23.0.91; startup.el should choose .emacs ahead of .emacs.elc if .emacs is newer
@ 2009-03-06 20:30   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2009-03-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs Bugs

Processing commands for control@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com:

> tags 2577 =
bug#2577: 23.0.91; startup.el should choose .emacs ahead of .emacs.elc if .emacs is newer
Tags were: wontfix
Tags set to:

> forcemerge 2061 2577
bug#2061: 23.0.60; Add preference to force load of Elisp files when they are newer than corresponding byte-compiled file
bug#2577: 23.0.91; startup.el should choose .emacs ahead of .emacs.elc if .emacs is newer
Forcibly Merged 2061 2577.

> stop
Stopping processing here.

Don Armstrong
(administrator, Emacs bugs database)

* bug#2577: 23.0.91; startup.el should choose .emacs ahead of .emacs.elc if .emacs is newer
@ 2009-03-07 14:24 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-03-07 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

On 2009-03-06 20:04 +0000, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> One of these libraries gets a bug fixed, so he installs the update and
> checks it in. Now he moves to another machine that has his dotfiles
> checked out, and he pulls in the update, but it's ignored in favour of
> the out-of-date .elc file.

Personally, I quite like the current behaviour. As mentioned in another
post, it gives users the power to compile .el files when they are mature
and continue working on them.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .: I use Emacs :.